RB_Hammer

Freeflying makes you a better belly flyer?

There's a number of people who are predominantly belly fliers that I've taken out on coached jumps to teach them some freefly basics. The first jump is always funny (and challenging to stay with and get good video of which is why I love it) but after a few they usually make some good progress. Invariably they get back to belly flying and often months will go by before we get a chance to jump together and work on their freeflying again.

When we do eventually get back to it I will say this, the second shot at it always goes MUCH more smoothly than the first. Maybe they just forget that it's "supposed to be difficult."

Flatflying is like a good prom date.
Be on time, be polite.

Any kind of skydiving helps because it helps you are flying your body.

However, you need to have a good picture of what is expected. Too many freeflyers have misconceptions about what good flat flying is.

Dock level, fingertip grips, don't transition movement to others. Many freeflyers have level and movement issues.

Are you saying its easy?:P:P

Dock level, fingertip grips, don't transition movement to others. Many freeflyers have level and movement issues.

So did belly flyers 30-40 years ago. Don't condone freefliers just because they're still developing thier aspect of the sport. We know "on level" and tensionless grips, there are just aren't that many that have the ability....yet. VRW will change that.

Rick, if your coach rating is a goal that you have you would be better off continuing with RW and increasing your skills that way. As far as people to jump with, I'm out there quite a bit in the winter and although I spend the majority of my jumps freeflying all you have to do is ask. I'll organize some jumps with you (and have fun doing it) and I think few people out there, who aren't working, would turn you down.

Later,
Joe.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."

Be on time, be polite.

Any kind of skydiving helps because it helps you are flying your body.

However, you need to have a good picture of what is expected. Too many freeflyers have misconceptions about what good flat flying is.

I have yet to encounter a good freeflyer who wasn't also a good flat RW flyer. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the freeflyers I've done flat RW with (Olav, Rook, Trent Alkek, Steve Boyd, Melissa Nelson).

I would bet that all the freeflyers on the VRW world record attempts coming up at Summerfest are also excellent flat flyers.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Perhaps it is just that I am not that good yet and they don't want to waste the jump.:|
I jump at a pretty small DZ, and this time of year it is really hot so the only sport jumpers that come out are either those still I have been on a couple of 4 ways, several 2 ways, but mostly I jump solo. I was on a 2 way drill jump with a very experienced instructor and TM that I simply loved. Basically he just fell straight down and my job was to fly with him, about 1.5 feet between our faces maintaining eye contact and simply alternate touching hands, right to right and left to left with about 20 degrees of turn on each alternation. Has been the most fullfilling jump I have had so far, at least as related to jump objectives accomplished.

This will probably get me flamed, but I decided I want to get a coach rating so I can jump with students that do nothing but belly fly. I have no desire to make money as a coach but want to get students in the air with someone else as I know that this really helps you get better much faster. Other than the jump I described above, the other jumps that have been the most fun have been with those that have just passed the A test.

i just got my a license not to long ago and i have 38 jumps... i have jumped with rick a total of 3 times.... every jump weve done has been a bomb ass skydive we just work on our exit and dock a couple times... so it helps me and him at the same time i fall to dam slow but it helps so even though this isn't part of the discussion i think he would make a bomb ass coach and a phenomonal instructor.. i can't wait to jump with him again...;););)
death before dishonor

I have yet to encounter a good freeflyer who wasn't also a good flat RW flyer. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the freeflyers I've done flat RW with (Olav, Rook, Trent Alkek, Steve Boyd, Melissa Nelson).

You mean that Olav, with 20 years in sport and 19,000 jumps can skydive? ;) Or Rook with 13,000 can?
:D Coincidence probably :D

I would bet that all the freeflyers on the VRW world record attempts coming up at Summerfest are also excellent flat flyers.

:o Ok... perhaps. I like to believe that the best 50 freeflyers in the world can do flat RW. :D

However, for the average 150-200 jump per year skydiver, quite a few 200 jump freeflyers aren't very good at flat RW.

If he wants to focus on RW and do 400 jumps in the next two years, 400 RW jumps is more beneficial than 400 Freefly jumps.

Freeflying is flat, it's HD, it's HU...and it's also whatever the fashionable name (this year) is for all the various angles between them.

I'd like to think my 300+ flat jumps were well spent. I enjoyed them. If nothing else, you migth as well be good at it because it's f*cking embarassing when fellow freeflyers can't flatfly. Or when someone is zooming around you in HD (in a good or bad way)but is crap on their belly / head up.

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

You mean that Olav, with 20 years in sport and 19,000 jumps can skydive? ;) Or Rook with 13,000 can?
:D Coincidence probably :D

:o Ok... perhaps. I like to believe that the best 50 freeflyers in the world can do flat RW. :D

However, for the average 150-200 jump per year skydiver, quite a few 200 jump freeflyers aren't very good at flat RW.

If he wants to focus on RW and do 400 jumps in the next two years, 400 RW jumps is more beneficial than 400 Freefly jumps.

Hey, I DID qualify my statement with "good freeflyers". The ones that just think they are good weren't included.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.