ttoy

Newbie... question

I am making my first tandem jump this Saturday. What does the freefall feel like?

Unlike anything you've ever experienced. ;) Unfortunately, you prolly have no frame of reference from which we can truely relate the experience...

Also, what safety things should I watch for?

Just listen to your TM (Tandem Master) and they will teach you everything you need/should know. B|
Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

I am making my first tandem jump this Saturday. What does the freefall feel like?

You come back and tell us. For me...it's flying, freedom, fun, release, excitement, joy. For you, it may be different.

Also, what safety things should I watch for?

Your instructor will help with all of that. One suggestion; don't grab any handles he/she doesn't want you do grab.

Rather than worry about anything else, plan on having fun, meeting new people, and experiencing one of the most satisfying emotions you'll ever know.

If it's a small Cessna that you're going to jump from:
Look out for skydivers that like to fart in the plane. Ask your local instructors about high altitude flatulence.:P

You'll be fine, relax, get a video and open your mouth during the free-fall.:)

Have a good one!!!

Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!

I am making my first tandem jump this Saturday. What does the freefall feel like? Also, what safety things should I watch for?

My girlfriend said she didn't realize it would be so windy. :S

I don't expect that you will really have any sensation of falling, at least after the first couple of seconds. The air pushing against you balances the gravitation force, so you stop accellerating.

Most places, your actual instruction will be brief. Pay close attention regarding moving in the plane, exiting the plane, desired freefall position, and what the instructor wants you to do with your feet as you land.

1) Look out for skydivers that like to fart in the plane.

2)You'll be fine, 3)relax, 4) get a video and 5) open your mouth during the free-fall.:)

8) Have a good one!!!

-------------------------------------------------------
as a newbie be careful what you read here - danger abounds, so just to give you the straight scoop:)#1 above - true
#2, 3 & 4 - true
#5 - false - the pressure can cause your eyes to pop out
#6 - maybe, only if you like rides that spin in a circle
#7 - seems kinda dumb, you puke and feel like crap and he gets a beer, but in case you do decide to do this, tilt your head to the side, look back at your instructor and puke in his face
#8 - true

Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

It feels like freedom.

What's all this freedom speech about?
Sorry, I really don't understand how "feeling freedom" is, and thus never quite experimented it... I think.

@OP:
It's windy.
It feels a bit strange not to have anything in your vicinity (no ground, no ceiling, no wall).
It feels more like hanging in the air than falling (beside the wind).
You will hopefully be proud after you land. You DID it!!
"We call on the common man to rise up in revolt against this evil of typographical ignorance."
http://bancomicsans.com

What does the freefall feel like?

We fall from the sky very fast. Because of this a lot of relative wind is generated typically on our faces. It's like sticking you head out of the car on the highway which is going twice the speed limit. Because of the wind, a lot of noise is generated in your ears and between the wind in your face and noise, this is where a lot of the intensity comes in. In time when people do enough jumps, they learn to turn off the wind noise and it becomes dancing in the skies. Then the canopy opens and the noise goes away and you are left with a peaceful tranquil feeling several thousands of feet above ground and you get to take in the view from up there that the majority of the public has never seen.

I know why the birds sing, I share their playground. B|

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Very well said. I notice how the only time I "hear" the wind is as I am climbing out. Then after that everything just goes away. The days that have big puffy white clouds just adds to the overall experience. There is nothing framing your experience with the sky, like a windshield. (except if you wear a full face I guess. haha).

Now a trick I learned from an instructor is if you fill your jumpsuit with helium you will have a longer freefall. So ask yours if that is a possibility. :P

Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

For my first jump, I remember feeling only mildly anxious until the door (on a 206) opened up, at which point (at least on the video), my eyes became as wide as saucers.

As we exited, I remember seeing a lot of green (the ground) and hearing a lot of noise (the wind), both of which I wasn't really mentally ready for.

I guess the short version of the story is that I had mental overload.

Have fun. Tell us what you thought about it.

Seriously, you can't relate to the description of feeling freedom?

Perhaps the reason I can relate to it is because the word I came up with to describe it to my friends was "liberating". Free falling is the most liberating experience I have ever felt, naturally speaking.

Maybe it is because I have been through some stuff in life. Free falling feels like there are no ties holding you back, no pain, no negativity, just pure joy!

However, your description of hanging in the air is a really good one! It really doesn't feel like gravity is pulling you down!

Dontiego, me thinks you will have the time of your life!!

What does it feel like?....
I spent most of my younger life having dreams of flying like a bird, only without wings. My first skydive was the realization of all those dreams.

btw In one of my dreams not long ago I landed without opening my chute...I just flared my track and walked away...no pack job...there was even a plane loading with the engines running...I am still hoping i can make that one come true too;)

I just started my FJC 2 weeks ago, and this weekend I am gonna attempt to complete AFF LvL 6-8, when I did my first jump 2 weeks ago it was just the weirdest most unexplainable feeling ever...

It was like a mixture of pure awesomeness and weirdness at the same time, especially the first 2-4 seconds after you jump off the plane, I'm guessing my brain just could not register just WTF I had just done...

Then when you find yourself free falling its just... exhilarating, and finally I was surprised by the utter peacefulness after I pulled my chute, its just so damn quiet and the view was breathtaking...

What I'm trying to say is that its gonna be FREAKING AWESOME!!!

"Look out for skydivers that like to fart in the plane. Ask your local instructors about high altitude flatulence." --

I wish someone had warned me about this before my first jump. I was in a plane full of guys, me being the only girl there and it was like non-stop flatulence :S