Ruskin

Advice please - I'm desperate!

There has been some good advice given thus far.

The best I saw was this gem:

Remember why you are doing this. It is supposed to be fun.

If its not fun, don't push it.

Relax...Smile....Drill the damn skydive so much including an arch so that you can't NOT do it right.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Yeah I know - I must try to remember that this is supposed to be fun. The thing is I started off at the beginning of my static line training full of confidence (I can even remember a new student saying to me once that they thought I was experienced as I seemed so confident!!) and enjoying it. As I've learnt more about the dangers and had a really bad jump I have just worked myself up so much. I know if I can just get over this I can enjoy it again. That's why I'm carrying on, cause I know it can be fun!

From what you've said (and what I picked up on) I would rate your previous instructors as complete dolts, who should not hold any rating or have anything to do with students. I've trained zillions of students, and quite a lot of instructors as well, so I know what works....... and I've never ever told a student they should quit, or that they "can't do something".

My approach has always been "you can do this, and this is how"......

If they tell students to quit, they're admmitting they are crap, and should quit instead.........I've seen too many whose approach is negative....they should be shot with a ball of their own shit!!!...

The British system seems to breed particularly poor instructors.....negative all the time.....

A poor instructor will blame his student for the problem, when in fact its obvious, if the student has a problem then the instructor can't instruct....

Any good instructor will know instinctively how to cure problems, and should always be postive in his approach to solving the problem..."you CAN do this, and this is how"....."well done"....Its not rocket science........

Take small, simple, "doable" steps, and things get easier.... time or progress is not the immediate issue...confidence, success and fun is what you need......the rest will follow naturally.....

Try to get on an early jump load....waiting around on the DZ does nothing for the nerves. A sunrise jump starts the day off nicely (at some DZ's its cheaper too), and sets you up early in the day.....

Try to do at least 4 but no more than 5 jumps a day, then your learning and progression is immediate and things stay fresh in your mind. Performance deteriorates when you do more than 5, through mental, if not physical fatigue.....one jump a day is almost a waste of time, if you have the opportunity to do more.......

At your stage 5 jumps per day is plenty, and quite exhausting......get plenty of sleep, eat properly, and save the big booze up till your last day....turning up with a hangover is not a good way to start a day at the DZ...... but thats not to say a beer or two after jumping is bad, you can learn plenty by talking in the bar to other jumpers...just don't go getting smashed every night.....if you are keen other jumpers will be keen to help....if you sit in the corner you'll be ignored......

Finish the day with an easy, low stress, simple freefall and do nothing except enjoy the view....it means you finish the day successfully and in a positive mood that sets you up for the next day nicely.....

Don't worry about HAVING to complete all your AFF stages, it only adds unneccessary pressure and creates a sense of underachievement and failure if you don't get all the way through....lots of small successful targets are better, and if you do those OK then everything else will take care of itself.....

Go for it......and enjoy yourself..... as I'm sure you will.....;)
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Obelixtim,

Let me shake your hand on your comments about instrcutors.

I know Ruskin and know all about her skydiving very well.

We both started on static line RAPS about the same time and went to the same DZ using the same instructors.

We both struggled with similar problems - I only ever got to 3 sec delays because on exit I had sensory overload (and still do to some extent!) so I always pulled on my back.

Myself, Ruskin and a few others then went to do AFF and I sailed through it with no problems and no repeats. I couldn't beleive I actually did it after I had struggled so much on RAPS.

I have offered alot of advice and tried to encourage Ruskin to not give up.

But what you picked up on with instructors is true. I know exactly who Ruskin is talking about as I had the same instructor and the same grief and discouragement.

In fact, I was talking to this instructor just before I went to do AFF and this person said to me...

"You won't even pass level 1 because you will de-arch on exit, go on your back, the secondary will let go, the primary will pull your handle and you'll have a canopy ride from 10,000 ft"

As well as comments like "You will never be a skydiver" and "Why are you even doing this sport".

I've not long found out far worse things about this instructor which I will not go into.

But of course, when I qualified without even repeating any levels (using the same AFF instructor as Ruskin) that just proved how wrong that instructor was.

I admit I'm not the best skydiver, I've done alot of jumps (65 on RAPS, 138 in total) and I'm still only at Cat 8. My exits are still bad - I go on my back for a few seconds but after those few seconds I flip belly to earth and the rest of my skydive and canopy ride go well.

I'm even flying and landing a higher performance, semi elliptical 145sq ft. canopy !

Just think how bad that instructor looks now !

I admire your resilience and will to succeed in the face of such obstacles.....its sad to think of the number of students this wanker has driven away from the sport.....

Wouldn't happen to be a tosser who trains in the London area by any chance...who jumps out near Oxford......???.

I visited a DZ near London with a workmate who was doing her first jump training...went along as her "taxi driver" and sat thru her training without letting anyone know who I was........

I couldn't believe the incompetence I witnessed, and was even abused in front of the class when the instructor invited me to jump......I said I was "too scared"....and he really opened up on me......

This twat didn't even turn up till 2 pm on the day of the jump...his students had been at the DZ since 8 a.m. I actually completed the harness training for the class because I felt so sorry for them, and because their training was way below the standard they needed.....

He finally arrived (hung over), and realising that I wasn't what he thought, he then proceeded to try to ingratiate himself (I think he thought I was a CAA inspector) with me.........my response to him isn't printable!!!....

He was damn lucky I didn't punch him....and had I the same powers I have in my own country I would have pulled all his ratings on the spot...

Interestingly the military instructors at the airbase where we jumped seemed to have the same opinion of him....he was ex military himself, and I believe, a member of the BPA safety and training committee....unbelievable......

Needless to say my opinion of the BPA isn't very high at all......but perhaps people like this need to be publicly exposed and embarrassed......he is obviously responsible for untold damage to the parachute community......I could have been a potential sponsor or anybody....I've never seen such an arrogant, incompetant slimeball in all my years of skydiving......

Why don't you write an article for the BPA magazine....I did....but guess what???...it wasn't printed....the excuse was that I wasn't a BPA member.....incredible.....

Good luck with your jumping....there is plenty of time....and good things will happen......luckily there are a lot more good people out there than there are twats.......stick with it......

I'm just off jumpmaster supervision for a bit, a newbie and learning with every jump, every conversation.

On my AFF Level 8 I came out of a skyvan with a diving exit, tumbled, stable, in front of my JM, began an unexpected left turn which became uncontrollable (to me at least) I pitched at 45 degrees and was like a propeller and centrifugal force was gaining. I was taught on level 5 of the "5 second rule". If you are out of control, have tried what you know and by 5 seconds you are still out there..... pull. I did. It was at 9,000 feet from a 12,500 exit.

This scared me and brought real doubt but I had to master this. This is what I did. I sheduled a same day wind tunnel and second attempt at level 8. My jumpmaster met me and watched me in the tunnel for my 4-2 minute sessions. We talked, went up and it was the greatest feeling to feel the stability and chase him around the sky.

Keep at it. But you must be comfortable to a certain level. Talk with your instructor, practice, and don't be ashamed to pull high or any other time. I've been there, ya, it's embarrassing, but everyone on the ground asked..... are you okay? They know too.

I won't presume to tell you want to do, I'll just share my experience. If you can take something away from it, great, if not, it's not a big deal.

When I began jumping I had a degenerative eye condition known as Keratoconus. Among the effects of K was the fact that I was effectively night blind. That presented a problem to me becuase I knew I'd eventually get my D liscense, which requires two night jumps. My S&TA told me I could get that waivered, but I wasn't willing to to settle for a restricted liscense.

I thougth about it for a long, long time. I ultimately decided that at I probaby had about a 90% chance of getting hurt and at best I had a 50/50 chance of surviving a night jump. I then tried to figure out why and just how important those night jumps were worth to me. In the end, I realized that it wasn't about the "D" liscense but the need to prove to myself that I wasn't as helpless as society was trying to tell me I was. I also realized that that proof was something I was willing to risk my life for.

Once I realized how important it was to me, it gave me the courage to go through with it. It wasn't easy by any means. My first night jump was one of the most terrifying experiences in my life, but knowing what it meant to me allowed me to do what had to be done and get through it. And once I had done it, I realized that jump had been one of the most intensely satisfying things in my life.

Hope there's something in that experience you can use.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Hi I've sent you a PM anyway but I think I met you at Langar Boogie. I was the one who freaked and went psycho because I'm petrified under canopy (just be thankful you didn't do that). I think if you want it that badly stick with it...this sport is one big rollercoaster ride of emotions......you're jumping out of a plane for gods sake.....it's not going to be easy!! I love it and I hate it, it's a very strange feeling.

For me I'm hoping once I get over my fear of the canopy I'll have nailed it, as for you it's about getting over the mental barrier and then you've cracked it. We all have our issues and that's mine........I know how you feel though, you're not the only one (I used to think I was the only one too). Keep at it and be thankful that you have the time, money and determination to continue.....I have 1 out of 3!:)
**Moggie Gifts**

Why don't you write an article for the BPA magazine....I did....but guess what???...it wasn't printed....the excuse was that I wasn't a BPA member.....incredible.....

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

That's odd, because Sport Parachutist reprinted one of my articles - years ago - and I have never joined BPA. The article was originally published in CANPARA or Skydiving magazine.

I think it wasn't odd at all.....they didn't print it because it was too close to the bone.......but like all blind wankers round the world.....when the truth hurts, they think that if they ignore it....it'll just go away....

What they don't consider however, is that my opinion is permanent...and I won't hesitate to share it.......again......like now.....

The BPA is the most incompetant bunch of tossers play acting as a national skydiving organisation in the world.....bar none.....they are 20 years behind the rest of the world in terms of professionalism, safety, and attitude....and the hierarchy are so far up their own arses they've got brown rings around their ankles.......

One day the skydivers of Great Britain will realise that fact....toss the pricks out....and reorganise skydiving properly, as a professional aviation organisation should be ......or else someone will tell CAA how it really can be done.....properly....and cut them off at the knees......

I'd do it myself.....but I can't really be bothered.....but it would be easy if someone wanted to do it......and had a bit of time to waste.....

I wouldn't give them the steam off my shit, let alone the time of day......

End of rant!!!......

We've all been there, but skydiving is all about facing your fears...and having shitloads of fun jumping outa planes!!!
I still get a little scared/nervous from time to time, specially when trying something new.
Whilst doing my progression I fucked up my 15sec with alti, cos I had my whole routine planned out in my head before I got in the door. One that jump about 2 miles out the JM told me to turn around and look out the door. WHAT!!! It totally shattered my plan and I got so worked up about it that I had a really stable ff for 10 sec on my back. Advice from another JM was not to think about the dive until the door opens, then say to yourself: "Ok so let's fucking do this, let's jump out a plane and have fun!" Big smile and deep breath makes you relax.
Don't let fear get in the way of your dreams!!!

Don't give up!!!
Go for it.
...drags me down like some sweet gravity!!!

Hi Ruskin, I am an AFF instructor, and my sister whom I have been training has been going through the same problem you have at about the same level. I found out that she has been going to DROPZONE.com alot. I think that is part of her problem, because she knows too much for her own good! Learn about all the crazy shit later. Concentrate on your jumps, you know what to do in most cicumstances, let it be at that for now. Alot of stuff you read on here are not likely to happen but can. Relax, relax, relax, relax, relax, and have fun!

Blue skies, Marc Hobbs
Truely flying yourself is the best freedom you will ever feel!

I found out that she has been going to DROPZONE.com alot. I think that is part of her problem, because she knows too much for her own good! Learn about all the crazy shit later.

I guess this is specific to the person. For me, this site has been very therapeutic for my own anxieties. I have spent more hours reading threads here today than I care to admit, but I can honestly say that I'll be mentally ready for my next jump. (Oh, yeah, for some background, check out my post in this same category.) On the other hand, I can TOTALLY see how too much info can cause stress. :S

Post Script: this thread in particular, and all the advice in it, helped me relax big time! Thanx all!

~nerd

[reply to]I found out that she has been going to DROPZONE.com alot. I think that is part of her problem, because she knows too much for her own good! Learn about all the crazy shit later. Concentrate on your jumps, you know what to do in most cicumstances, let it be at that for now. Alot of stuff you read on here are not likely to happen but can. Relax, relax, relax, relax, relax, and have fun!

Hey funny you should say this cause I have thought this before. It worries me though that there are things that can happen (although unlikely) that we are not trained for but i suppose it would be impossible to cover every eventuality in the initial ground training. Only last night i saw the incident report about an instructor fatality due to a flat spin causing centrefugal forces so much so that the reserves could not be pulled. You're right, reading some of the things on here does just make my fears worse but also I hope to learn a lot from this forum. Let me know how your sister goes on.

I found out that she has been going to DROPZONE.com alot. I think that is part of her problem, because she knows too much for her own good! Learn about all the crazy shit later.

[reply to]I guess this is specific to the person. For me, this site has been very therapeutic for my own anxieties. I have spent more hours reading threads here today than I care to admit, but I can honestly say that I'll be mentally ready for my next jump. (Oh, yeah, for some background, check out my post in this same category.) On the other hand, I can TOTALLY see how too much info can cause stress.

I have actually found that although greatly informative, some of the info in some threads on the forums have added to my fears. Thats not to say that it should not be on here, its just that maybe I should not read it too much until later on. However, how can too much knowledge be a bad thing. It depends on the individual like you say. I am a born worrier so want to learn as much as I can but at the same time, finding out what can go wrong just makes my fears worse and has a negative effect on my jumps. I'll have to find a happy medium I guess.

Sounds like you are getting plenty of advise out there. What little advise that I can give you from my very limited experience I have is this... what I do is just relax it a turn and let gravity help my arch...my arch needs work but when you begin the turn take your time and make it count. Slow turns allow you more time to get it right, unless you really want to get turned around to look at your wonderful coach.

"Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously!"
-- Friedrich Nietzsche

I progressed through the raps system. It took me more than 20 jumps to get on to freefall. My freefalls were 'less than perfect, rocking, turning, backsliding etc. the more I tried to correct the problem the worse it got, the worse it got the more scared I was of failing on the next jump, fear of failing made things worse. I had to find something that would work or stop skydiving.

This is what I did.
At home I sat in a darkened room, closed my eyes and though my way through the jump from kit on to taking control of a good canopy. I did this 4 or 5 times every night for a couple of weeks.
On my next jump I still had problems (rocking & turning) but instaed of fighting it as I would normally have done I RELAXED, ARCHED, SMILED a BIG SMILE & ENJOYED the dive just as I had mentally practice at home. IT WORKED I was rock steady & locked on heading (I just gave up on any manouver I should have attempted). Stayed that way till pull height.

Try it, especially the BIG SMILE, RELAX, ARCH & ENJOY.

Get out, Land on a green bit. If you get the pull somewhere in between it would help.

I found out that she has been going to DROPZONE.com alot. I think that is part of her problem, because she knows too much for her own good! Learn about all the crazy shit later. Concentrate on your jumps, you know what to do in most cicumstances, let it be at that for now. Alot of stuff you read on here are not likely to happen but can. Relax, relax, relax, relax, relax, and have fun!

Blue skies, Marc Hobbs

I think I am inclined to agree. I had no fears on my first and second jumps. Then I got on here and started reading and now I have these worries that I wouldn't have had. I want to be knowledgable but I think I might should have waited to read some of this until I had some more trainingfrom my JM and experience of my own. There's a lot of scary crap out there!

Life is best lived one jump at a time.

Fear is a by product of ignorance or the unknown.......and most times is irrational......

A little bit of fear is OK, but if anyone is getting into a plane terrified then I'm wondering what the hell they are doing......

If you don't know about something, or are bothered about something.....then FIND OUT ABOUT IT from someone who does......its not rocket science, and skydiving information is not secret!!!!....

And don't waste time worrying about things that are not relevant to your current status or experience level......

OK!!!!.......

You should remember your pull priorities.

1) Pull
2) Pull at the correct altitude
3) Pull Stable

Look at the position of number 3. It's good to pull stable but it is more important to pull with plenty of height and definitely more important to pull.

Instability in not the end of the world, just slightly more risky, but you know how to handle nuisances & malfunctions. If you remember this relax and arch like crazy, secure in the knowledge that it's not your last option you'll be fine. Even when you're on your back you can watch your altitude and you can pull without waiting on your instructor.

That knowledge may take the edge off your fear.