hackish

The pointy end of raindrops...

I feel like someone is feeding me a line as I'm the DZs newbie. The guy said that it sucks to dive in the rain because you end up hitting the pointy end of the raindrops and it really hurts.

I seldom accept a story like this without understanding it. So I was thinking that the terminal velocity of a raindrop depends on it's aerodynamic profile which is pretty good. Would a person's terminal velocity exceed that of a raindrop and to a significant degree?

Perhaps if you're skydiving through a cloud that's forming precipitation the droplets haven't reached terminal velocity yet.

Comments?

-Michael

I feel like someone is feeding me a line as I'm the DZs newbie. The guy said that it sucks to dive in the rain because you end up hitting the pointy end of the raindrops and it really hurts.

I seldom accept a story like this without understanding it. So I was thinking that the terminal velocity of a raindrop depends on it's aerodynamic profile which is pretty good. Would a person's terminal velocity exceed that of a raindrop and to a significant degree?

Perhaps if you're skydiving through a cloud that's forming precipitation the droplets haven't reached terminal velocity yet.

Comments?

-Michael

I have jumped in the rain before. It fucking sucks ass, let me tell you that. I was jumping from a C182 in tshirt and shorts. We had to come back down from altitude and fly under a cloud that was covering up the DZ. It didn't start raining until on jumprun when I climbed out and set myself up in the V facing the rear. Talk about shock! I fell off, and then all of a sudden I'm at terminal velocity and all those pointy ended drops are pummelling me! I covered up my face for a bit then pulled the pc. Man that fucking hurt. It rained all the way to the ground. I hurried gathered up my canopy and ran into the hangar, dumped everything on the floor, and tore off my t-shirt. THAT was when everyone stopped what they were doing and gaped at me. I had dime-sized red welts everywhere! :S
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Raindrops fall at approximately 60 mph. A skydiver falls at 120mph. Those little hard bits of water are hitting you at 60 mph.....hell yeah they hurt.

The little pointy ends can impale you and plug up your pores so you cant breathe thru your skin anymore.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Raindrops aren't pointy, that is just a line fed to many a new or non skydiver over the years.

And while a lot of the time we are just hitting droplets that are suspended inside clouds, we do actually fall a lot faster than real rain too.

Take a look.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

The little pointy ends can impale you and plug up your pores so you cant breathe thru your skin anymore.

Didn't Mythbusters do a show on that?? :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Didn't Mythbusters do a show on that?? :D

hey...shutup Billy...i'm messing with the noob.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Raindrops fall at approximately 60 mph. A skydiver falls at 120mph. Those little hard bits of water are hitting you at 60 mph.....hell yeah they hurt.

Everything I've seen says the max is ~20mph. A raindrop big enough to go faster than that will get broken up by aerodynamic forces.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Fact: Rain in freefall Hurts!!

The pointy end thing is a Myth but it still hurts like hell when it hits exposed skin in freefall.

Like you have ever jumped in rain your lucky to jump in sunshine
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

I've yet to experience this, but a friend once told me about a BASE jump he made in the rain. When he left the object he could see the drops as a blur falling faster than him. Then for a split second there he was in freefall falling at the same rate as the rain drops and they looked like rain drops. Then he accelerated past them, they returned to being a blur. Trippy to say the least. :ph34r:

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Hail, on the other hand could be bashing you on the back of the head whilst in freefall...

This took some calculating, which I won't
>bore you with. I calculated the terminal
>fall velocity of an ice sphere the size of
>a golf ball (1.68 inch diameter); it is
>1626.5 cm per second (234.7 miles per hour).
>This is assuming that the hail is a perfect
>sphere, which it rarely is. Normally hail
>is gouged out on the top and enlarged on the
>bottom. More rime collects on the bottom
>than the top as the hail falls.
>
>David Cook
>meteorologist at Argonne Nat. Lab.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

This makes me laugh.
Imagine if rain fell at approx 120mph :o we'd all run inside everytime a storm cloud gathered overhead, cause that'd HURT! And if rain fell that fast imagine how fast hail or sleet would fall!!

Sorry for pickin, but that's a bad thought!

ps. I've jumped in barely there "rain" & ended up with red mini-welts all over [:/] - don't jump in the rain.

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

Hail, on the other hand could be bashing you on the back of the head whilst in freefall...

This took some calculating, which I won't
>bore you with. I calculated the terminal
>fall velocity of an ice sphere the size of
>a golf ball (1.68 inch diameter); it is
>1626.5 cm per second (234.7 miles per hour).
>This is assuming that the hail is a perfect
>sphere, which it rarely is. Normally hail
>is gouged out on the top and enlarged on the
>bottom. More rime collects on the bottom
>than the top as the hail falls.
>
>David Cook
>meteorologist at Argonne Nat. Lab.

I think he did his calculation incorrectly. Perfect spheres have a high drag coefficient, and ice isn't very dense.

Edited to add - using a drag coefficient of 0.3 (from Google search on drag of golf ball), you end up with terminal velocity of 39m/sec or 87mph for a spherical lump of ice the size of a golf ball. (In fact the Reynolds number at that speed is low enough that Cd will be even higher than 0.3, so terminal will be even slower.)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Comments?

-Michael

Small raindrops fall at 8 MPH.

Big raindrops fall at 18 MPH. If they were any bigger, the aerodynamic forces would break them apart into small raindrops that fall slower.

Skydivers without wingsuits fall at 100 - 160 MPH making for a 90-150MPH speed difference. Hitting anything going that fast is going to hurt.