tetra316

Torn ACL and back in the air when?

Well I injured myself last weekend and ended up with a torn acl and torn menisci. Those of you who have done that how long before you jumped again.

The bad part is I still have 6 weeks before I have to start my real job and was planning on doing a lot of skydiving and videoing:(

I don't know. It never should have happened. I tripped and ended up landing on my knee with it bent under me. Stupid and bizarre.>:(

I jumped with a one legged jumper many times...He just landed on one leg.

One time his artificial leg blew off in free fall...he lost it in the woods... So the next time he showed up with his new leg he tied it with a string to his belt loop and the next time it fell off during a dive, it flopped around in his burble kicking him in the head and back all the way down.:D...He finally got the kinks worked out and jumped almost every weekend always landing on his good leg...

But two years later During hunting season two hunters knocked on the dz door holding his lost wooden leg..."When we found this leg, with a shoe on it, out in the middle of the woods and there was no body...We thought it had to be you skydivers who could have lost a false leg in the middle of the woods.;)

Well I injured myself last weekend and ended up with a torn acl and torn menisci. Those of you who have done that how long before you jumped again.

For me it was about 5 months, but I was newly qual at the time and jumping a Fury 220... anything smaller might have hurt.

Of course I may also have slowed down my recovery by going to a party 3 weeks after it happened, getting drunk (to dull the pain) and dancing like a lunatic... I'm not sure that these activities are recommended by medical professionals! :P

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

But two years later During hunting season two hunters knocked on the dz door holding his lost wooden leg..."When we found this leg, with a shoe on it, out in the middle of the woods and there was no body...We thought it had to be you skydivers who could have lost a false leg in the middle of the woods.;)

That is feakin' hysterical! :ph34r:
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke

That is feakin' hysterical! :ph34r:

You would only have to be there to understand just how hysterical that was. :D:D:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Sorry to hear about your accident. I tore my ACL playing racquetball about 5 years ago, and it took roughly 6 months after the surgery (hamstring graft) for my doc to okay it for jumping. The big obstacle is that the bone has to heal around the new ligament before it is 100%, and that takes time. Tear the grafted ligament out of the bone, and you're back at square one.

Fortunately, the patience paid off. My replacement ACL has been good to go ever since. I get a little pain in my shin from time to time, but overall I trust it more than my "good" knee. I can ski, play racquetball, jump, etc. without a brace, although I do wear the brace if I'm planning on hitting the bumps while skiing.

My biggest advice is to find a surgeon with a proven record of solid recoveries. I went through PT with several folks who had ACL replacements by another doc in the same practice as the guy who did mine, and every last one of them had problems. It seems like the docs who focus on sports medicine generally have a better handle on things.

I also told my PT that I wanted the knee to be stronger than my "good" knee at the end of therapy. They worked me hard, but it was well worth it. Strong muscles will protect your joint from future injuries too.

There are a few other threads about this, so you might want to do a search and see what other advice is out there. Good luck with your recovery.

Lance

The bad part is I still have 6 weeks before I have to start my real job and was planning on doing a lot of skydiving and videoing:(

Depending on if the potential surgery would be down in Eugene or up here in PDX -- and depending on what insurance you're on, I can give you the name of my knee doctor, if you want it... See you Monday!

PMS #394

I got a recommendation for a sports medicine doc but when I called his entire clinic had no openings for three weeks. I'm not waiting that long to start pt so I found another sports medicine clinic and had them book me with whomever was available. Hope that works:|