FallingDuck

Ever busted a bigmouth?

I think this sort of thing is common in just about every industry. I work on cars for a living and am often confronted by people claiming that their little turbo honda is making XXX at the wheel and such. Depending on my mood I either let them talk or tell them that I was the guy who built the kit, I know who they bought the car from and I know what it actually made on the dyno.

From a "dealing with them" type prospective I think just calling the bullshit right in their face is most effective. Nothing like being shut down and told that you don't need stories to impress makes them feel small enough they're not likely to pull a repeat.

-Michael

Haha, man this thread is awesome. To OP, that sucks people try to take credit for your club to look cool. That's way lame.

Whoever posted that Run DMC video was awesome.

I had a similar situation at work the other day. A new kid showed up and we were shooting the shit. He told me he's been to Iraq and Afghanistan (he's only 17, I'm not entirely sure that's even possible), and that he fucked up his knee jumping out of airplanes in the Army. When I asked whether they were HALO jumps or static line jumps he just said "Yeah. We had our own thing on and everything." I then showed him the copy of parachutist in my backpack and he never brought it up again.

And BillVonNovak, I would really love to hear the story behind your fake AFF1 jump, that sounds like it would be really funny.

I heard the reverse conversation once.

My dad was at the dz. My experienced jump buddies were telling him, "You should do a tandem. Skydiving is awesome."
He said, "I made one jump, that was enough for me."

"Where at?"

"We were coming back to N. Africa at night from Italy and had to bail out. The co-pilot was too close to the mountainside, got linestretch, swung once, and hit. Broke his leg. It took the litter bearers 3 days to find him and carry him to the hospital."

"An unlit night? Under a round? Over a rocky, mountainous area? Uhhh..."

"That was my only jump because we never got a practice jump in the states. Too many people got hurt during practice."
:o

>I have heard plans to sign up for AFF-1 as an unknown, just to be
>able to go head-down out the door and get away from the jumpmasters.

I did that in Salt Lake City years ago. Was fun - and it was educational seeing what it was like to be a student after all those years.

To do that here in Germany would be a real pain. You have to go through 1 and half days ground school before you get to jump. I would get so bored the instructors would throw me out for not paying attention before I got to jump. :D
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

My wife was sitting at a bar with three other jumpers wifes (Girls weekend out) A fellow walks over at starts chatting them up, tells her he's a jumper and she ask where he jumps "Quincy, can I get you a drink?" "Sure" (my wife knows to take the free drinks) After he brings her the drink she asked how often he jumps at Quincy "All the time, I've got 1,000 of jumps" She asked is he knew a guy named Fortson "No, never heard of him" - my home dz :P

At least that was her story. She's not a jumper so she was prob telling the truth............

Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

>I think it’s one of the shittiest things you could do. You want them to
>believe they are losing their student?

?? Hey, it was done to me when I was trying to get my AFF rating!

But in any case we didn't do anything too radical (other than follow their canopy control instructions to the letter and thus flew a landing pattern nearly doing CRW.)

I told him that I'm selling the gear to focus more on skydiving. He then said "Oh I've done a bunch of Tandem jumps, we did backflips, barrel rolls, head down & sitflying and all that shit!”

I've seen tandems do all of that and more

I've seen a Tandem rating beeing revoked for a head-down tandem.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

I told him that I'm selling the gear to focus more on skydiving. He then said "Oh I've done a bunch of Tandem jumps, we did backflips, barrel rolls, head down & sitflying and all that shit!”

I've seen tandems do all of that and more

I've seen a Tandem rating beeing revoked for a head-down tandem.

you do realise there was a time when some tandems didnt even have drouges
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

in reply to "And worst of all when I catch them taking credit for running MY club. I just love to shut them down in front of their adoring public. Dose this happen to anyone ells, or is it just me? "

No its not just you ...unfortunatley.
I should have kept a list there's been so much BS.
Being a piece of furniture on a DZ as a youth you get to see way too much about disfunctional wannabe hero skydiving crap.
One guy tried to tell me that he had been running a particular DZ for 20 years. Funny how I just couldn't remember him for those 13 years that I hung around that same DZ. His crap only worked on the phone with tandem potentials. In person he ran away when confronted.. got in his car an drove away.

Another memorable one was a woofo who was known as a skydiver. it was a bit of a rough crowd and he was using a Tandem jump and a night on a DZ to basically be a hero amougst his woofo mates. apparently he would talk about it like he did it all the time.
My friend knew I'd done a bit over the years and set me up to meet this guy thinking we might get along and have a conversation topic.. a rare thing in that crowd. It took two seconds to run out of stuff to talk about when I met him. He just could not communicate like a skydiver can. He deflated so fast I felt sorry for him .

More scary are the low-experience level people that think they know better than everyone else.
I've seen these types lead other newbies astray to the point where the same old lethal mistakes start emerging .
I've had the satisfaction of 'encouraging' one of these brutal incompetents to take his horror show elsewhere. Within weeks one of his most ardent adorers bounced right alonside him at a badly organised illegal demo. He just didn't see it coming and had refused to listen to more experienced people who did.

Confronting BS headon at the DZ and elsewhere can be rewarding on many levels.

Hey, it was done to me when I was trying to get my AFF rating!

Oh, well then that makes it alright to do to someone else! :P

But in any case we didn't do anything too radical (other than follow their canopy control instructions to the letter and thus flew a landing pattern nearly doing CRW.)

From your other post, it sounded as if you had once signed up as a student and then went headdown out the door to get away from the jumpmaster. Which might turn out to be funny, but it might turn out to be pretty uncool.

I think it’s one of the shittiest things you could do.

You are speaking from the point of view of an experienced and rated Solo Freefall Instructor?

I can speak from that perspective, and I would not think it anything but funny and enjoyable if a fellow instructor did that to me. It would be fun, a change of pace and the other JM might learn a lot from attending my FJC, as I would attending the FJC of another instructor in clandestine fashion.

There is nothing "shitty" about it. I can think of TONS of things that fit into the "shittiest things you could do" category.
Murder, rape, cheating, abusing others, selling parsley as if it were oregano etcetera etcetera etcetera… Pretending to be a student is totally trivial.

"shittiest things you could do" is completely harsh words for someone doing something as trivial as Bill described. Perhaps you sport a vendetta and are looking for something to call him out on in public, but this aint one of em...
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

I had just sat down at a crowded airport bar when a RealTV segment came on with a skydiving segment. The guy next to me starting spouting forth about all sorts of good stuff so I kept my mouth shut for 20 mins but did almost lose my beer when he described "how high you go back up on opening".
I waited until he bought a fresh beverage and then gave him my USPA and POPS card. He calmly put his new beer down, picked up his briefcase and walked off.
The other patrons enquired as to what I had said to offend him :)

Foggy
D21109

>From your other post, it sounded as if you had once signed up as a
>student and then went headdown out the door to get away from the
>jumpmaster. Which might turn out to be funny, but it might turn out to be
>pretty uncool.

Well, we considered it - at one point all the JM's went forward to talk to the pilot, and the only people between us and the door were two freeflyers. I went to the door and stuck my head out (mainly to check the weather, which was looking bad) and after about 15 seconds someone pulled me back in and wagged their finger at me most severely.

>I have heard plans to sign up for AFF-1 as an unknown, just to be
>able to go head-down out the door and get away from the jumpmasters.

I did that in Salt Lake City years ago. Was fun - and it was educational seeing what it was like to be a student after all those years.

I know a lot of the Utah folks. Which DZ?

I went bungee jumping a few times just to be on the other side of the "extreme" fence. It was fun.