FallingDuck

Ever busted a bigmouth?

Ever since I started jumping I have run into people that say they skydive. At first I think cool someone to talk too. Then as they talk it becomes clear that they have never been in a jump plane. This is a little thing I don't care about. What gets me is when I come around a corner at school and find one guy talking to about ten girls about all the "wicked" things he has done skydiving. And worst of all when I catch them taking credit for running MY club. I just love to shut them down in front of their adoring public. Dose this happen to anyone ells, or is it just me?

Plenty of times. Actually plenty of times for people claiming a wide variety of skills that they did not possess (but which me and my non-shit-talking friends at the same bar actually did for a living). Sometimes enough is enough and you just have to shut a motherfucker down.

Chuck

Someone at Skydive Arizona needs to get Craig Girard on here to tell his story.

He was on a flight with Mike Scott coming from a competition when they got into a discussion with a fellow passenger.

This French guy starts to tell Craig he is a world champion skydiver and stuntman, owns a special one of a kind parachute too!

Craig doesn't tell the guy who they are or that they are coming from a skydiving event...he just eggs the dude on and acts amazed at his stories.

I guess it was a hell of an entertaining flight. Mike Scott wanted to call BS on the guy but Craig wouldn't let him. I think the guy was sweet on both of them!

If you guys run into him at the DZ have him tell the story, it's a classic!

After I bounced I was in rehab for a couple months.
Everybody there knew I was a jumper. One day i'm on a machine doing some bullshit exercise and this guy about my age in a wheelchair rolls up. He says youre the jumper huh ? I say yeah I guess so. He says I was a jumper....I jumped in the Nam with the Big Red One. I say....whatya doing jumping with a leg outfit ? He says....whats a leg ? I say get the fuck away from me before I kick yer ass with my paralysed legs. Asshole liar.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Welcome to the club I call "The unimpressed." basically, the more you do, the more you will become unimpressed with braggers, liars, ordinary scared people. Dont get me wrong, this way of life is not for eveyone, thank god, and people are just fine as they are...i just dont feel like sitting there and talking about nothing with them...especially when the havent "been there" in life...know what i mean?

Some guy responded to my craigslist ad for a KiteBoard package I had for sale.

I told him that I'm selling the gear to focus more on skydiving. He then said "Oh I've done a bunch of Tandem jumps, we did backflips, barrel rolls, head down & sitflying and all that shit!”

I asked him what was happening with his drogue chute while doing all these "sweet" tricks. He said "uhh, I don't know, we just did it".

Needless to say, I didn't buy his story, and he didn't buy my Kiteboard.

Some guy responded to my craigslist ad for a KiteBoard package I had for sale.

I told him that I'm selling the gear to focus more on skydiving. He then said "Oh I've done a bunch of Tandem jumps, we did backflips, barrel rolls, head down & sitflying and all that shit!”

I asked him what was happening with his drogue chute while doing all these "sweet" tricks. He said "uhh, I don't know, we just did it".

I've seen tandems do all of that and more
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

What ever you've done, there's always someome who did it with "bricks on their back"....

On their back? They had it easy. Back in the day the despatcher used to throw the bricks from the plane and we had to catch them in freefall!B|:P

On their back? They had it easy. Back in the day the despatcher used to throw the bricks from the plane and we had to catch them in freefall!B|:P

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

i did tell about the guy that told me he did BASEjumps from a helicopter? he was actually a kitesurfer too! probably we're talking about the same guy here..
or, maybe they both had their kiteboars hit their head once to often, and thats the reason why they seem to be a little "distracted".. :)
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I just stay quiet, don’t even mention I am a skydiver and let them have their illusions if that is what they need to fulfill themselves.

A little compassion - we all have our issues and hang ups.

It's like that time I landed a birdman on the tip of an elephants trunk with no parachute and my eyes closed! Man, that was so cool when I did dat!
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Ever since I started jumping I have run into people that say they skydive. At first I think cool someone to talk too. Then as they talk it becomes clear that they have never been in a jump plane. This is a little thing I don't care about. What gets me is when I come around a corner at school and find one guy talking to about ten girls about all the "wicked" things he has done skydiving. And worst of all when I catch them taking credit for running MY club. I just love to shut them down in front of their adoring public. Dose this happen to anyone ells, or is it just me?

In my travels I have run into people who were the real McCoy, and had a good old time swapping anecdotes. It usually takes less than a minute to realize that someone knows about what and whom they are talking.

I have shown up at an unfamiliar DZ in midweek, chatted for 15 minutes with the guy working on an airplane (who turned out to be the DZO), and was then told "you want to make a skydive? Grab a rig."

When I later realized that I had not shown any credentials at all beforehand, he said that the fact that I knew so many details about people he knew well told him I was an upjumper.

There are people who really did jump to a very limited extent, but do not have much against which to compare. I have had people who described their experience as a student, - where they were clearly the student from hell - and were miffed that they got "the talk." I did not break it to them that I have been the one detailed to give "the talk" on more than one occasion, and that I think someone did them a favor.

There are the "skydivers" that have a skydiving screen saver, skydiving paraphernalia all over - and one tandem to their credit. Sometimes I just tell them that I was a paratrooper with 19 military jumps when Nixon was president, and they explain how what they did was so much more sophisticated than a static line equipment drop. I agree with them and let it go.

Other times I let on that I have a few civilian jumps, as well.

Then you have the skygod that knows nothing. My guess is that, since they know zip about the subject, they assume that nobody within earshot does either.

This can vary from the GI Joe that made all kinds of jumps in Vietnam ("Junction City? Where's that?") to the upjumper who may or may not have discovered those newfangled ParaFoils.

Once someone does not know with what Battalion they served, or how the DZO's dog is doing (if you jumped there, you'd know...), I try to change the subject.

If anything, I think it is more fun to be a ringer. I have heard plans to sign up for AFF-1 as an unknown, just to be able to go head-down out the door and get away from the jumpmasters. The 8-way team that suckered Bill von Novak into thinking they were neophytes had the right idea.

The closest I came to pulling off the "I'm new at this" act was blown when people I know showed up right as I was talking to the DZO.

"Winsor? Great! Grab your rig, you make it an eight-way!"

"You know this guy? He hasn't filled out a waiver yet."

"He's fine, he'll fill it out when he gets down. Right now we have to dirt dive."

In any event, this sport is not one where one can get away with much in the way of bullshitting. It's hard to make a claim without having someone present that could contest inaccuracies, intentional or not.

Blue skies,

Winsor

When somebody asks how long I've been jumping, I like to tell them, "Oh, about 30 years. I made my first jump in 1977."

They say, "Wow, that's a long time! You must really know what you are doing!"

I let them stew on it for a while and then tell them, "Don't let that fool you. I only did a few jumps back then and took a short 27-year layoff."

:D:D

So, in reality...should I claim 30 years in sport????
I think not.

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

If anything, I think it is more fun to be a ringer. I have heard plans to sign up for AFF-1 as an unknown, just to be able to go head-down out the door and get away from the jumpmasters.

I have always thought that would be a really cool idea. Except the having to pay $200+ part. I just can't bring myself to spend that much on a prank.

If anything, I think it is more fun to be a ringer. I have heard plans to sign up for AFF-1 as an unknown, just to be able to go head-down out the door and get away from the jumpmasters.

I have always thought that would be a really cool idea. Except the having to pay $200+ part. I just can't bring myself to spend that much on a prank.

I think I heard this on Skydive Radio. Situation: Whuffo (initially) guy has a sister (living in another city) who flies a jump plane. Unknown to her, he takes the FJC and gets his A license. He visits the DZ she flies for and arranges to take an "observer ride" (with rig). He watches the two or three other jumpers go (182) , hollers at his sister "Hell, that looks easy!" and dives out the door. She lands the plane and is alternately ready to hug him and kill him when she finds out what's going on.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

>I have heard plans to sign up for AFF-1 as an unknown, just to be
>able to go head-down out the door and get away from the jumpmasters.

I did that in Salt Lake City years ago. Was fun - and it was educational seeing what it was like to be a student after all those years.

>I have heard plans to sign up for AFF-1 as an unknown, just to be
>able to go head-down out the door and get away from the jumpmasters.

I did that in Salt Lake City years ago. Was fun - and it was educational seeing what it was like to be a student after all those years.

I think it’s one of the shittiest things you could do. You want them to believe they are losing their student?

It's your money:S

I dont think the AFFI would think they have just lost a student, i think they'd realise about 4 seconds into the jump that they have an experienced guy fucking around... Or a tunnel pimp. :D

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.