ttoy

Do you have a favorite time of day to jump?

when the grass is slippery and the swoops are long

Dave

That too! Applies to both the first load of the day in the morning and the sunset load. B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I am hoping that I am a bit delayed tomorrow so I can jump close to dusk since it's my favorite time of day. Do you have a favorite time?

What time is your tandem scheduled? You jumping out of Skydive Ogden or another UT DZ? Maybe Moab? If Moab say Hi to Clint for us. Anyway I used to jump in Colorado and at this time of year there is a lot of afternoon thundershower activity. But I am not sure if Utah's is like Colorado's weather. Regardless ... chances are that you will be jumping before dusk. DZs tend to try and get all their tandems done ASAP in the day.

When I jumped in CO, I liked either morning jumps or late afternoon or evening jumps since the air was the most stable at those times (before or after the thundershowers). But I am not a big fan any more of sunset swoop loads (not an issue for you) since the light can be flat at that time and I came close to pounding in one day on a sunset swoop load. Also swooping the pond (once again not an issue for you) on a sunset load with no wind is freaky since the water is glassy and the depth perception is hard to decifer. Of course now I am living nowhere near a swoop pond, so it is a moot point. :S

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

when the grass is slippery and the swoops are long

Dave

For sure. I love jumping at sunup. Can make for some nice pictures. Sunset is a whole lot of fun too. Those are the times that I think it "looks" the coolest, but I love jumping all day, so I do that just about every weekend!
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I am jumping from Skydive Ogden. I am supposed to be there at 4 and the lady said it would take half a day. Is that true?

Depends. The way DZs work is, they give you a show time and that is a rough estimate of when they want you there to do paperwork, etc. They say half a day so you don't get mad if there is a backup and you don't get up for awhile. It could easily only take an hour or two or many more hours depending on weather / staff / planes... etc. Also, every DZ is different.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I am jumping from Skydive Ogden. I am supposed to be there at 4 and the lady said it would take half a day. Is that true?

Excellent!!! I have only jumped in Ogden once ... but they are a good group of people out there and it is a pretty DZ with it's close proximity to the mountains and all. But I am not going to speculate as to when you will jump since I am not familiar with their tandem training procedures. Have fun ... I'm sure you will. :)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Late late sunset... the jumps where I break out the strobe, but you can't count it yet as a night jump are my favorite!!

Sure there are extra risks: the depth perception changes in the low light but am used to it now, and if something happened they would never find me before dark; but the sky at that time of day, the silence in the dark air, and the calm winds make it all worth it to me.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

The sunset X-country. It's a religion at a few DZs I've been privilaged enough to call home. Last load of the day, hop-n-pop from the top and sit back, watch the sun go down while enjoying a soda and maybe partaking in a little non-contact CReW. And fly it on home...

Just remember to take some gum. Bad spots aren't totally uncommon, and the last thing you want is to hitch-hike home with an open parachute and the smell of soda
I got nuthin

Early in the morning is nice, the evening is nice, the middle of the day is nice. I just love it when there's not too much wind, and I love the sunset load then all the clouds look like pink cotton candy, and I love lazy mornings when everyone is tired and there's no rush getting on the plane.

:)

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

I am hoping that I am a bit delayed tomorrow so I can jump close to dusk since it's my favorite time of day. Do you have a favorite time?

Love sunset jumps, but surprised myself that I also like early (I mean early) morning jumps as well.

Last year my team (and I believe 3 other 4-way teams) wanted to start and end early on a Sunday training day. The coaches talked with manifest and got a nod to starting at sunrise. We took off -just- as the sun was cresting the eastern hills. It was absolutely gorgeous.

And then to land, before anyone else had even arrived at the DZ, was pretty spectacular. The only negative was all the dew on the grass. :P Ever see a rooster-tail as you skid across wet grass? :$

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon