rave4funn

Things are not going too well for me.

Last load of last weekend I had a really hard opening on my Spectre 210. It broke three lines and I had to cut it away. First load of this weekend I have an obnoxiously hard opening that ripped the metal ring that my steering line goes through off of my riser. It was a solo jump (I didnt track), I spent the entire jump on my belly, and I slowed down as much as I could before deploying. My toggle proceeds to flip through some of my other lines. I manage to reach my toggle and land without too much of a problem. The opening hurt my back really bad. I couldn't jump my rig because I have to get my rigger to sew that ring back on. However, I was hurting too bad to jump the rest of the weekend anyway.

My rigger is going to recheck all of the lines, but he said with only 25 or so jumps on the canopy the should all still be in trim. I don't know what the damn problem is. One of our instructors offered to jump it next weekend, but if it is a problem with the canopy or whatever I am reluctant to put someone else in the position to possibly injure themselves. I know I am nervous to jump it again. Some people are telling me that there is no way this should be happening and I need to contact PD and send them my main back.

What do you think?

P.S. two different people packed it for the last two jumps.
---------------------------------------------------

http://www.myspace.com/rave4funn

I just don't understand what could be happening. You would think after 130 jumps I could deploy a parachute without hurting myself. Also, since I had 25 beautiful openings on my canopy how there might be something wrong with it...I am so frustrated.

You would think after 130 jumps I could deploy a parachute without hurting myself. Also, since I had 25 beautiful openings on my canopy how there might be something wrong with it...I am so frustrated.

Don't be frustrated, relax.
Parachutes are handmade and each one has it's own personality. A hard opening can have devastating results, your sore back may agree with that eh? My hardest opening ever was on a parachute I had hundreds of jumps on, and I was scared of it after that to, so I feel ya!

It's best to get it checked out, by someone who knows what they are doing.
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Last load of last weekend I had a really hard opening on my Spectre 210. It broke three lines and I had to cut it away. First load of this weekend I have an obnoxiously hard opening that ripped the metal ring that my steering line goes through off of my riser. It was a solo jump (I didnt track), I spent the entire jump on my belly, and I slowed down as much as I could before deploying. My toggle proceeds to flip through some of my other lines. I manage to reach my toggle and land without too much of a problem. The opening hurt my back really bad. I couldn't jump my rig because I have to get my rigger to sew that ring back on. However, I was hurting too bad to jump the rest of the weekend anyway.

My rigger is going to recheck all of the lines, but he said with only 25 or so jumps on the canopy the should all still be in trim. I don't know what the damn problem is. One of our instructors offered to jump it next weekend, but if it is a problem with the canopy or whatever I am reluctant to put someone else in the position to possibly injure themselves. I know I am nervous to jump it again. Some people are telling me that there is no way this should be happening and I need to contact PD and send them my main back.

What do you think?

If you pack it yourself, you have control of the packjob. If you want to pack for a snivel, I can tell you how to do so (I can also tell you how to get a "docile" canopy to slam the snot out of you).

If you have someone else do it, I am not sure that I am all that sympathetic. You pays your money, and you takes your chances.

Blue skies,

Winsor

What do you think?

If you pack it yourself, you have control of the packjob. If you want to pack for a snivel, I can tell you how to do so (I can also tell you how to get a "docile" canopy to slam the snot out of you).

If you have someone else do it, I am not sure that I am all that sympathetic. You pays your money, and you takes your chances.

Blue skies,

Winsor

The first person who packed it for me has never packed me a hard opening and says she didnt do anything different.

The second person who packed it is a master rigger and swears there is no way it should have opened that hard.

Two jumps, two really hard openings, twice something broke on my brand new canopy, two differtent packers- Could it be that they both packed a really hard opening? Maybe. Maybe, I should pack it myself and hope that my next opening doesnt really injures me.

I am looking for possible causes/ solutions. I am not looking for sympathy, but thanks.

The first person who packed it for me has never packed me a hard opening and says she didn't do anything different.

I've had a hard opening, so hard that it broke 10 of 18 lines! I packed it, and in a sick kind of way, I was glad that I did! You'd have never convinced me if someone else had packed it, that it was packed the same as the previous 50+ were that all opened great. I'll swear to you that I did nothing different on that pack job than I did on any of the previous ones, and I'm pretty meticulous!

In fact, that was a brand new canopy when I first got it, and I had jumped WAY uglier pack jobs on that canopy as I tried to figure out how to get that slippery ass bitch in the bag. And they all opened fine...

I did review ALL my packing procedures and techniques after that opening though, and I'm more careful than ever to make sure I control the slider and keep my stows tight. :P

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

New guy here, with old, big, student gear . . . that being said . . .

I jumped my own rig and pack job several times and had wonderful openings. Then I jumped my son's rig and my pack job and nearly had my head ripped off by the opening. At first, I figured I screwed up the pack, but it happened every time I jumped that canopy. I only know one way to pack, so it had to be canopy differences. I got some advice from an expert and now it's much 'mo better.

Good Luck,

Stan