ttoy

Whats next for me?

Should I do another tandem then move on to the aff? What exactly does the aff involve, training and jump? Another question... when we landed yesterday we landed perfectly standing up on the asphalt and not on the grass like the rest, everyone screamed beer. Why??

What exactly does the aff involve, training and jump?

Go back, speak to the staff. They will fill you in more than anyone on an online forum can. :P

we landed perfectly standing up on the asphalt and not on the grass like the rest, everyone screamed beer. Why??

:D:D:D

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Should I do another tandem then move on to the aff?

If you deffo want to learnt o skydive then go straight into AFF. I didn;t even do a tandem before going into it since i knew i wanted to learn. However if you're still unsure do another tandem but don't be fooled into thinking you'll learn anything from the tandem which will help u in AFF. AFF you are in control, tandem you are a passenger.

Tim

He let me steer the canopy which was so much fun. He showed me how to turn and all. It felt extremely hard to pull down on the turns though. He said it was because it was so big and that I would be able to control a smaller one easier... I am 5'3... 115lbs. I can't wait to go again :)

If you deffo want to learnt o skydive then go straight into AFF. I didn;t even do a tandem before going into it since i knew i wanted to learn. However if you're still unsure do another tandem but don't be fooled into thinking you'll learn anything from the tandem which will help u in AFF. AFF you are in control, tandem you are a passenger.

Tim

Maybe at your DZ. At ours, a T2 jump involves the student learning turns, altitude awareness, responding to the AFF hand signals, forward movement, and deploying the parachute. Additionally, canopy control is discussed while under canopy, and the student controls the canopy for almost the entire T2 skydive (at our DZ).
Some DZ's require a second tandem before beginning AFF. Ours doesn't require it, but it sure is strongly recommended.
Tandem, IMO, is the most effective means of teaching the first aspects of AFF.

No one here can really tell you what step to take next, only you can determine that based on discussions you have with staff members at the DZ where you are going to pursuit your training at. There are so many methods and different philosophies in approaching the training of students, which coupled with your performance on the tandem you made will be the determining factors as to which path will be the best for you to follow.
Anyone who tells you that you will not learn anything on subsequent tandems that will aid in your progression in solo freefall jumping does not know what the hell they are talking about.
Like I said, talk to the instructors at your DZ because there are a lot of well intentioned skydivers that will give you “advice” based on their own limited knowledge and experience which in many cases will be inaccurate information.

Good luck, and glad you enjoyed your skydiving experience.
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

... we landed perfectly standing up on the asphalt and not on the grass like the rest, everyone screamed beer. Why??

There are places at a DZ where you're not supposed to land, mostly for safety reasons. This can be proximity to aircraft or turbulence etc. The limit between the landing area where you can land, and the place where it's not OK to land is called the beer line. If you cross that, you have to buy a case of beer for the other skydivers to share when the day's jumping is over. This is not primarily a punishment for breaking the rules, it's a social ritual that has many functions, such as allowing you to share your experience with others.

There are some official beer rules, I'd do a search on "beer rules" to find them. Beer is bought for many other reasons than the beer line.

When your TM and you landed on the asphalt, then you probably crossed the beerline and owed beer.

Tandem over the beerline is of course two cases, but of course you don't have to buy any, as you're a student.

;)

And this is volontary, you don't need to participate, but most skydivers think it's a nice tradition.
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

Tandem, IMO, is the most effective means of teaching the first aspects of AFF.

Agreed, especially the landing set up. there is something to be said for learning it with a hands on method rather than in the classroom. It simply makes sence when you are being expalained what is happening while it is happening.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

...If you deffo want to learnt o skydive then go straight into AFF. I didn;t even do a tandem before going into it since i knew i wanted to learn. However if you're still unsure do another tandem but don't be fooled into thinking you'll learn anything from the tandem which will help u in AFF. AFF you are in control, tandem you are a passenger.

You may want to re-think posting about things you know nothing about.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Tim

I agree with popsjumper ... please do not be giving out advice on topics you clearly know little about. It's all about the freefall isn't it. ROFLMAO at such poor advice as to what you seem to feel is correct. At this early stage of Tammy's jumping career there is a lot that she can still learn from another tandem if she thinks it would be best for her. Or if she feels she is ready, she can try an AFF jump. Please educate yourself more about this sport before you start spewing bad advice to new jumpers.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

What exactly does the aff involve, training and jump?

Go back, speak to the staff. They will fill you in more than anyone on an online forum can. :P

This is good advice ... good on you Andy. ;)

Welcome to our world Tammy ...

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over