FireMedicJumper

Skyride Dropzone Coming to Prattville, Alabama?

When pissing into the wind the trick is to not get your own feet wet.:D And your right you can a a bus load of fools their a buss load of fools....;)

Bus load of fools..hey now, the farm resembles that remark
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

I just want to skydive, So Quoted PA removed by slotperfect !

PA! PA! BAN HIM! BAN HIM! :P

Look, just go set up your own forum and dive into your own little world with your friends down there. We'll all be better off.

We all want to skydive and I'm current enough. I just chose not to spend my money on anything related to skyride, and your comment that your DZ is not skyride, I call BULLSHIT. Ben and Cary, owners of Skyride, BOUGHT that DZ, therefore, they ARE Skyride.

Now if Rob and Laura have enough money to buy all the equipment and plane from Ben and Cary and strike out on their own, AND refuse to accept those worthless skyride certificates, THEN we'll leave their DZ alone and they can re-apply for DZ membership with USPA, if USPA decides it's worth it.

And besides, Ben and Cary's lawsuit against USPA is meritless because USPA is a private organization and they CAN kick out any individual or DZ from their organization. Say, whatever happened to that National Skydiving Association that Ben and Cary set up? :D If you want to, form your own association. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I think the high and mighty Moderator needs to sit down and think of other possible reasons why more than one ID can come from just one IP Address

Believe me, we Mods dole out more "benefit of the doubt" than you realize. In this case, it looks like a duck, etc.

I did do my homework first! :)
I'm gonna climb back up on my high horse now . . . :P
Arrive Safely

John

Fixed the typos for ya...;)

When pissing into the wind the trick is to not get your own feet wet.:D And your right you can't tell a bus load of fools their a bus load of fools.

Any resemblances to the farm is, maybe close, but I would have said "short bus"....:P
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

So let me ask you something. You have no problem what so ever with the way Skyride is run? How about them taking over Chris Martins phone number? Does having a good place to jump and a turbine make it all ok? Where would you personally draw the line? I know many people that stuck with B and C till the phone number incident and that was all they could take. This is not a new thing. It has been going on way longer than you have been in the sport if your profile is correct.

Now if Rob and Laura have enough money to buy all the equipment and plane from Ben and Cary and strike out on their own, AND refuse to accept those worthless skyride certificates, THEN we'll leave their DZ alone and they can re-apply for DZ membership with USPA, if USPA decides it's worth it.

No billy, the correct answer is -- IF they do this, you and I will be the first people there to buy a ticket.

Until then, they are dependent upon crooked marketing schemes and outright flim-flam operations to sustain their business. Just like the people that work for them and the ones that accept their coupons.
Its a good day to LIVE, why puck up a good thing.

There is no reply in aad section for. " hell no i would not put an AAD on my back"

No billy, the correct answer is -- IF they do this, you and I will be the first people there to buy a ticket.

:D When I have two nice DZs like Cullman and The Farm closer to home than Prattville, why bother with Prattville? Who knows, they might get run out of Prattville too. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

:DWho knows, they might get run out of Prattville too. :P

are you just completely ignoring people's posts? asc didn't get kicked out of pell city. the airport is building in LZ and it would be possible to stay but they're moving for the safety of the students

Trust me on this. The airport wanted them out. The tower thing was just a convenient way to do it.

Edited to add: Oh I see you've only been around 2 years. Well then, you didn't notice that since Skyride took over the DZ 5 years ago, the airport built up the barbed wire fence from the DZ parking lot all the way up the road to the restaurant, and put up that mini-tower. For many years before Skyride came, we had full unfettered access to the DZ and LZ. People used to park along the road and pitch their tents for boogies. Once the airport realized what Skyride was all about, little by little, they decided to make the DZ location less desirable. Tighten the screw a bit here... tighten it a bit more there.

Life's unfair for some people. Deal with it.

Edited to add: Well then, you didn't notice that since Skyride took over the DZ 5 years ago, the airport built up the barbed wire fence from the DZ parking lot all the way up the road to the restaurant, and put up that mini-tower. For many years before Skyride came, we had full unfettered access to the DZ and LZ. People used to park along the road and pitch their tents for boogies. Once the airport realized what Skyride was all about, little by little, they decided to make the DZ location less desirable. Tighten the screw a bit here... tighten it a bit more there.

I swore I would not post in here, but Billy a few years back I know it was talked about that all airports had to limit access to them due to 9/11. It was talked that ASC was going to have a barbed wire fence around it. I don't know if the regulation got shot down nor not.
I'm not saying that is what happened here, just that it was talked about as a requirement for all airports a few years back.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Not everything that you THINK is true Billy.STOP SPREADING FUCKING PROPAGANDA!! The FAA and homeland secruity made a requirement that ALL FAA funded airports make limited access to the ramp by building a FENCE, Gate with keypad lock or card swipe, and increase the overall security of the airport. The Pell City airport is definatly funded by the FAA and was required to make these changes after the 9-11 atack which would have been after the dropzone was sold to ASC.

Source: Lisa Martin- Retired FAA Oficial :P

The airport in Cullman is federally funded and they have not built a fence. They have cameras everywhere, even in our hanger. (You never know what skydivers are going to be up to so it is best to keep an eye on them. ;) )

"Don't! Get! Eliminated!"

Call it whatever you want. Convenient coincidence or what, I don't care. In the end, the airport got what they wanted - you guys out of there.

Now you're moving into even busier airspace down there with the Montgomery airport and Maxwell Air Force Base in close proximity. Going to make communication with ATC rather interesting. :P

Hate to bust your Bubble Billy (alliteration) but we just had a meeting with ATC, and they are very recieving and willing to help us out... Don't forget that when you get on here and talk about how WE are scum and liars and then spread lies about things you know nothing about (Airport Security) you turn yourself into a liar! :o

Just from reading this thread, I have to conclude that,

A SKYDIVER IS A SKYDIVER'S WORST FRIEND!

Here we have ppl cheering the shut-down of a dropzone, and opposing the opening of a new dz.

What a sad state of affairs!!! If I hadn't bailed out alright, I certainly would not want to join this clique-ish, political "sports" environment, as a newcomer.

RIP, Pell City: 2002-2007.

Today we revisited Pell City for the first time since laying off of skydiving some 1.5 years ago.

Suffice it to say that myself and my wife Angelika were probably the earliest instructional staff that dedicated every weekend to growing Pell City as a dropzone. (That is, of course, only after discounting for Sears, Rob, Anne and, later, Laura in those days!).

Today was very gratifying in seeing, for example, guys like Thud and Ken, who had 50+ jumps when we were involved, having grown into their own right as instructors; and being able to convey the thrill and excitement of skydiving to the next generation.

/Matthias

Along the same line, and respectfully, let's note that Danny Page is also still doing duty at Skydive Atlanta. So is "Jack Sheehy" who might or might not have regained mobility, let alone being able to skydive.

Having said that Rob and Laura are a class act! I, for one, wish them well in Prattsville.

P.S.: Regarding any comments by Billy Boy, in this thread or others. Problem is: DUDE WONT LISTEN!

To answer your question...

Of that old staff list, the only person working fulltime at the "Skydive Birmingham" is Rob Morris. The others that still work at their "sister" Atlanta drop zone from that list are: Anne Kohaut, Eddie Grantland, John Jordan, Jessica Edgington, Chuck Owen, Mark Kalupa, Tatyana and Vitali.

Mike

You think I'm lying about the Pell City airport wanting your DZ OUT? BWAAAAAA!!! :D:D:D

There's a lot of things that went on behind the scenes you know NOTHING about.

I was at Pell City for the last dance, the first time I had been there in years. It was great fun and a great party and I saw a bunch of people I hadn't seen in years. There was a former DZO from Alabama and another from Georgia there, and I halfway expected to see Billy show up.
Pell City went through five owners and I first jumped there maybe 20 years ago. It was always one of my favorite locations for a small dz with a lot going for it.
Sad to see another one go.

***So, you guys, nice job burning the sport's access to the Pell City airport. For fuck's sake, I hope you don't ruin it at Prattville either. :S

I guess they just didn't listen. Is anybody going to fess up to what happened yesterday? :S

Please don't jump on me for not having any posts. But, I'm curious about these tickets/certificates. Where can I get some so I can save a few dallars and start skydiving at prattville. I'm Kinda glad you got taken for that ride, this way I'll be sure to keep my good eye on my wallet and listen out for anybody sneaking up behind me trying to rip me off. Thanks for the cautions billwe.

PA removed by slotperfect. put your hearing aid in and listen to yourself. A really nice ( new but current) skydiver passed away yesterday and all you can do is take cheap shots at ASC. I would be suprised if anybody wanted your negative ass at their DZ. This had nothing to do with the location of the airport nor the operation at the airport. So do us a favor and stick to your word on the post and don't come to our DZ because as much as you don't wanna be there... we don't want you there

[warning]

PAs are not allowed in the forums. Please re-acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules.

[/warning]

I guess they just didn't listen. Is anybody going to fess up to what happened yesterday? :S

wow! really? that was mature of you considering the jumpers death has zero to do with the owners of the facility. thats someone's son/friend/possible father who died yesterday and you take a shot that comes off as "thats what you get." you are sick and seriously need to take a look at yourself

*I was unable to reply to Billy's post, so I used this one.*

what happened yesterday

There is a thread on this incident in the Incidents forum:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2900754;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;

Use that thread to discuss the facts of the incident and lessons learned. DO NOT use it as fuel for the anti-Skyride/ASC/Pratville fire. There is a dead skydiver involved here that had family and friends. Don't use it as a soap box to preach "I told you so's" from.
Arrive Safely

John