FireMedicJumper

Skyride Dropzone Coming to Prattville, Alabama?

I sometimes make the drive up to Skydive Alabama. If you're looking for a friendly professional turbine DZ that you can crank out a bunch of skydives at, it's a great place, and they are not connected to B&C at all. I'm pretty sure that Curley hates them just as much as everyone else.

Yep, great place as far as vibes and jumping goes. And Curley used to jump at ASC too until he pretty much told Ben and Cary to go to hell and started up his own DZ, just like Greg Dowdy and Hans at The Farm.

I like The Farm and Skydive Alabama best. :)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Man I've never been to the farm, but all I've ever heard has been good. One day I'll get off my ass and make the drive over there. I wish I got up to Cullman more often. Good guys up there.

Right now I'm about two hours from Skydive Alabama. It's gonna blow having a turbine DZ fifteen minutes from home that I can't feel good about spending my money at.

Man I've never been to the farm, but all I've ever heard has been good. One day I'll get off my ass and make the drive over there. I wish I got up to Cullman more often. Good guys up there.

Right now I'm about two hours from Skydive Alabama. It's gonna blow having a turbine DZ fifteen minutes from home that I can't feel good about spending my money at.

Now you know how I felt about the Pell City DZ being 10 minutes from my home...

Hell, if there is a weekend that you want to go to The Farm and I'm able to go as well, come on up to my house and park your car here and we'll go in mine. :)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I like skydive alabama and Pell City. Too me they both have the same friendly feel to them.
As far as supporting skyride goes, I dont really think the 20 bucks you pay as a fun jumper will hardly cover the fuel cost. Your money isnt going to B&C, it goes to the airport fuel sales. You are basically just renting the plane from the airport.
I'm sure we all send money to worse people every day. Like the IRS, or the credit card company, or the insurance company, etc. etc. etc. Who knows how many assholes are ripping us off and spending our money. Its a part of life. All i know is I pay 20 bucks and i go to 14500 ft. I've yet to pay my money and then have them tell me i couldnt get on the plane.

I know the post that the moderator deleted. It was off topic but it was funny as hell. It think its kind of unfair though. From what i can tell there are alot of off topic post on here. I think there is alot of bias here.
Earlier there was a ugly personal attack against horseface rob from this jmiracle person. I dont know what that was all about but it should have been deleted. this is not the place to air your dirty personal laundry. I'm sure there are 2 sides to the story.
Seems to me the people that spend large portions of their lives posting get preferential treatment.
Personally I dont know how any one can be mad about having a choice of turbine DZ's in their state.
I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll burn your fucking packing tent down.

Fire I fully agree with you about the DZO and managers of ASC but in the end the ones that also get a bad rap are the ones that actually do all the work as far as the tandems go. People like Katie, Kate, Junior, and Jesse because the shit rolss downhill and if they ever tried to work at another DZ once people see where they used to work they will never want them to work there. The ones that get screwed over the worst are the students who show up and pay for a tandem jump and if for some reason the day's weather is shitty and no loads are sent up they only get a raincheck and are told to come back later. Honestly, other DZ'z I have seen and heard about are willing to give a refund if they are unable to jump that day or even if they can't ever return.

One last thing. I bet if you checked up on any of the ASC's none of them are charter members of USPA. I know for a fact that the ASC in Cedartown, GA has not been a member of USPA since around 05-06 because of the Skyride shit that happened. You can even ask Mike Gruwell who is the owner of Chuting Star Rigging Loft because he almost lost his membership due to his affiliation with ASC and Skyride
EXPECT THE WORST, HOPE FOR THE BEST!!!

RIP, Pell City: 2002-2007.

Today we revisited Pell City for the first time since laying off of skydiving some 1.5 years ago.

Suffice it to say that myself and my wife Angelika were probably the earliest instructional staff that dedicated every weekend to growing Pell City as a dropzone. (That is, of course, only after discounting for Sears, Rob, Anne and, later, Laura in those days!).

Today was very gratifying in seeing, for example, guys like Thud and Ken, who had 50+ jumps when we were involved, having grown into their own right as instructors; and being able to convey the thrill and excitement of skydiving to the next generation.

/Matthias

Along the same line, and respectfully, let's note that Danny Page is also still doing duty at Skydive Atlanta. So is "Jack Sheehy" who might or might not have regained mobility, let alone being able to skydive.

Having said that Rob and Laura are a class act! I, for one, wish them well in Prattsville.

P.S.: Regarding any comments by Billy Boy, in this thread or others. Problem is: DUDE WONT LISTEN!

To answer your question...

Of that old staff list, the only person working fulltime at the "Skydive Birmingham" is Rob Morris. The others that still work at their "sister" Atlanta drop zone from that list are: Anne Kohaut, Eddie Grantland, John Jordan, Jessica Edgington, Chuck Owen, Mark Kalupa, Tatyana and Vitali.

Mike

I agree with Yarak. If I don't post on here as many times as that deaf guy, then my opinion doesn't seem to matter. What a turn off for those people who don't post very often, you are turning them away from reading more of your mindless propaganda about how bad I am because I work for the devil. I bet some of those people never post again, but what does it matter, since you also belittle them for having low jump numbers, that isn't very good for the sport of skydiving either. You people seem to turn away just as many people with your sour attitudes towards inexperienced posters and jumpers.

For one thing, I've never heard anything bad about Cullman or their safety. However, I have heard several sketchy things about the safety of Opelike and how rude they are to jumpers. To me, the two most important things at a dropzone are how comfortable the jumpers there make you feel, and second how safe their operation is.

I hope my post was on topic enough not to be deleted by you crazy obsessed people. you are so strange in your ways.

NOW TO REALLY TALK ABOUT WHAT THIS THREAD SHOULD BE ABOUT!!!!!

This weekend was very sad for all of the Pell City jumpers. We had an awesome boogie. When the weather was bad and we couldn't jump, we worked on tearing down the walls. It was sad to see something that you have dedicated so much of your life to be destroyed, but it was satisfying at the same time. We had bonfires and lots of cold beer each night.
Many jumpers hit milestone jumps, Bill got 400, Chris got 500 and Ken hit 600.
We built a beautiful 12 way hybrid on the first day of the boogie. We worked on hybrid formations and turning points with them. New AFF students enjoyed watching the videos of what they will be doing in the future.
Saturday night was definately the best part of the boogie. We went to eat at the airport restuarant, Sammie's Touch n Go. The owner of the restuarant had been telling us for 5 years that she would make a skydive, and that morning she showed up at 7 AM to do so. We played her tandem video on the big screen TV at the bar and everyone cheered when she landed.
Then we pied her in the face!
Next, we watched the video that I made that had footage from the last 5 years on it. Many people were tearing up throughout this, reminscing about old memories. I always love hearing people say, "Oh my god, I completely forgot about that skydive, that was such a bad a$$ jump!"
Rob and I ordered a round of shots for the 30 + people that showed up, and Preston gave a wonderful toast. That did it, the tears came out then!

As much as I am sad to leave Pell City, I think Prattville will be an awesome dropzone. I will miss the Logan Martin lake, and dinner at Sammie's every Saturday night. I will also miss the abilitiy to blow up stuff and wreak complete and utter chaos into the wee hours of the morning. Nobody can party it up like skydivers can.

So many of my friends showed their support to the dropzone this weekend and Rob and I would like to thank everyone who came out to jump there one last time. What a great 5 years we had there, and I am so happy for all of the new friends I have met. It has been fun to watch the dropzone grow from the most jumps as being 100 (other than Rob) to a dropzone full of jumpers ranging from 0 to 3,000! It was awesome to build a sunset 14 way belly jump on our last load there, while thinking about the first load 5 years ago as being probably a funneled base and bodies all over the place :)

Thank you for the good times Pell City! Let's bring it on over to Prattville!

-and to those of you who are really weird and obsessed, you should just get over it for a minute and take some time to mourn the passing of an absolutely fabulous place to skydive.

I will also miss the abilitiy to blow up stuff and wreak complete and utter chaos into the wee hours of the morning. Nobody can party it up like skydivers can

Very good post but that one statement says alot.

People, the times of acting like that on public airports is gone. We are damn lucky to have as much after hours access to the airports as we do. This kind of stuff needs to stop.It only take a couple of people wanting you gone and you are gone. It might take them a little time but you will be gone.

I will also miss the abilitiy to blow up stuff and wreak complete and utter chaos into the wee hours of the morning. Nobody can party it up like skydivers can

Very good post but that one statement says alot.

People, the times of acting like that on public airports is gone. We are damn lucky to have as much after hours access to the airports as we do. This kind of stuff needs to stop.It only take a couple of people wanting you gone and you are gone. It might take them a little time but you will be gone.

You got that right. It happened to Yazoo City, MS as well as Gold Coast Skydivers. Yazoo ceased to exist and Gold Coast moved to Lumberton. I think it happened to Monroe and Rome as well.

So, you guys, nice job burning the sport's access to the Pell City airport. The people who ran the DZ there for much longer than you did, left it in good shape, and YOU idiots had to ruin it. For fuck's sake, I hope you don't ruin it at Prattville either. :S

Billy, you missed my point. It's not them. It's every DZ that thinks they have a right to be there. Yes, the law says we do but we have all got to understand the truth in the matter.

In addition I'm sure there were other reasons. Lets not forget that these people are skydivers just like the rest of us. They were just unfortunate enough to have B and C buy their DZ. With the mind set of alot of DZOs it could happen to any of us.

You guys Marks,Spence,Billy, got that shit right! Even on non-public fields it can cost the dz big time. Waynesville Ohio comes to mind. One to many drunkass stupid pricks driving on the GRASS runway and doing donuts on it, bon fires, and other stupid shit pissed off one of the owners for the last time.

I like a good party too, but many 20 to 30 sumtins need to take their crap off the dz and to their own backyard. If you want to have your big E rave and drunken idiot fest, go have it at your house and leave the dz to those who can enjoy a few beers and safety meeting in a low key manner (read discreet) with a nice "normal" fire at the DZ without all the stupid human tricks.

Seen way to many jumpers these days showing no respect for others property theses days and then they all can't understand why the airport MRG or owner wants the dz closed and gone, we all (those who been around a while) have seen it time and time again.

Or go buy your own land and build your own drunken idiot DZ and do as you please with your buds.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

nice post flail monkey. Its nice to see something posted here that is real, and tells simple facts that pertain to the subject. As usuall someone(billy) had to add his hateful spin to it.

Cspence was right billy totally missed the point. Actually he probably didnt care about the point he just saw an opportunity to be hateful. And yes there were other reasons.

Lots of skydiving is about the socializing and partying with your friends. The DZ at pell city always tried to stay within certain limits with its after ours activities, and always respected the airports rules.

Everyone that has been involved with this DZ every weekend knows the truth about it.

Its nice to see someone distinguish between skyride and the jumpers at Pell city. They are two seperate topics.
I dont know why billy is so upset about pell city airport, he never skydives anyway. Hes too busy hiding behind is computer being hateful to those of us that do. Maybe when Alabama skydive center is in prattville billy will make it out to visit. I'm sure lots of jumpers there will have some things to discuss with him about the lies he has told here. Lies about the airports history with other DZ's. Lies about this DZ, pilots, and the jumpers who jump there. Im quite sure they wont appreciate you implying that they are such bad people that they caused the airports decision to develop the landing area.

Anyone who actually visited our DZ would know that 98% of the nights were quiet and low key with a small fire in the winter and 8 or 9 people sitting around it. In the summer we stay in the air condition and watch videos, usually retiring early to get rested from a big day of skydiving and to get ready for the next busy day.

As usual people read into flail monkeys post to try to find there own reasons the DZ is moving. In case you didnt understand they partied it up because it was the last night there. No one ever drag raced on the runway or anything stupid like that.

thanks to flail monkey for having a reasonable and contributing post that was on topic
I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll burn your fucking packing tent down.

Oh sure, heap the criticism on me. It wasn't the old Skydive South, Inc, that ran into trouble with the airport, and it wasn't the old Alabama Skydiving, Inc that ran into trouble with the airport. It WAS Alabama Skydiving Center, or is it Adventure Skydiving Center, or Skydive Birmingham, whatever name you insert here, THAT ran into trouble with the airport. YOU TRY TO FIGURE THAT OUT!!!! :S

Oh, and I AM still skydiving.

I made my first jump in Pell City over 4 years ago and have seen it go from 5 fun jumpers a day to over 30 some days. There are awesome people I jump with and have made great friends who love the sport and try to introduce it to everyone we can. Do I like or agree with B&C and how they run their business?? No. But I am not going to turn my back on my friends at the dropzone because of them(B&C). I bring everyone I can out there to jump and have fun, never mentioning the people that run skyride and their practices because I just want to get people into skydiving and start jumping. Then after they have gotten into it and learn more they can make up thier own minds as to where they jump. So I guess in closing, if you Billy or anyone else are going to be negative, me and probably a lot of others do NOT want your negativity at our dropzone!!!!

So I guess in closing, if you Billy or anyone else are going to be negative, me and probably a lot of others do NOT want your negativity at our dropzone!!!!

No need to worry. I won't support or spend any of my money at any DZ that supports Skyride and accepts their certificates.

Lot of others? Yeah, just the ones that jump at ASC. Small minority, that lot... :P

Wow what an in depth hate topic... I guess I'll have to reply to everything that has been said...
Billy: I met you 7 years ago when I was 11. My dad was flying the porter at the pell city dropzone, my brother was jumping there, Sandy was the DZO, and I was ridding in the Right seat everyday... I must say that I looked up to you, and you of all the jumpers there were an inspiration to me and you made me want to learn how to skydive. Now as the years have passed I must say that i have lost ALL of my respect for you. Your posts are based on NO experience at our dropzone and second hand information. I am currently staff at the Alabama Skydiving Center and the people there are amazing. I know this is my first post on Dropzone.com but that shouldn't mean anything since i actually have experience at the dropzone this thread is about. Billy you are what i would call a "Postgod" which is in no way a compliment, you should get your priorities straight. By the way did you guys forget about the carzy night at say the Farm... you know with the whole dead guy thng...

Comments Concerning Buddy Blue: I Love Buddy, He Taught me how to skydive just like he did my brother. It is true that he can be a little rough around the edges but that is just who he is. It is true that Opelika Skydiving is more of a club than anything else and it would be hard to make many jumps there. i don't think that our new location will make much of a difference to buddy's "Business".

Firemedic (Mike)- Come out and jump with us at prattville, I would love to jump with you it has been at least a year. Don't let the people on here with multiple thousand posts and limited to no experience at our DZ sway your opinion.

Staff at Pell City: The staff page on the website is about as up to date as everything else on our site. We can't help that our IT guys are lazy. The ostaff at Pell City are some of my best friends and are also some of the best skydivers and people i know. our last jump at pell city was sad but a good way to sum up many years of great skydiving. Don't get confused about why our dropzone is moving. Obstacles are being built in the landing area that could be avoided by our experienced jumpers but would be a danger to students. So it is a saftey issue.

If you came to our dropzone you would find that you would feel right at home. ;) Come out and jump with us at Prattville, I'll be out there jumping (not hiding behind my computer making posts about things that i know nothing about).

We can't help that our IT guys are lazy.

That's the funniest thing I've heard all year!

The company with 900+ (what's the latest count?) websites for dropzones that don't exist has lazy IT guys. Yeah. Right.

Never jumped in alabama, never plan to. Wouldn't ever go to this dropzone. Not because it'll suck or the people won't be nice, but rather because of who and what it supports.

Edit: Actually there is one DZ in alabama I'd like to go to someday.

BTW, is skyride still suing USPA for $10 million? I bet it'd be a really nice dropzone if they win...

Dave

...Your posts are based on NO experience at our dropzone and second hand information....

Kid, you just don't get it and never will.

Billy, you're beating your head against a brick wall.
ASC is what it is. B&C are what they are. Their supporters are what they are. Every once in a while one of the supporters sees the light and leaves. Some won't ever see the light.

To all the DZs that have posted warnings on their own web pages about ASC/Skyride/ThrillPlanet business practices, I salute you.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

First let me say I have never Jumped at or even Visited the Pell City DZ. I will say that the Staff and Jumpers that I have met FROM Pell City all seemed like great people. I would venture to guess that it is alot like ASC. Same thing there, I have never jumped there and never will but the Jumpers and Staff there are great people. I do visit that DZ from time to time because there are some people that really enjoy hanging out with.

It does bother me to see how the Jumpers from those DZ`s are treated when they do venture off their home turf. How are they supposed to see how great it is everywhere else when they are met with open hostility anywhere they go because of where they started out at??

They become ostracized and dont bother leaving because at least no one is giving them shit at Home DZ. The Skyride DZ`s end up being almost a Cult, a Member of a Cult will rarely see how wrong their leaders are as long as they are stuck in that environment.

If the Jumpers are welcomed with open arms at other DZ`s, Maybe they can get away long enough to see that Ripping off people, Lying to People, Stealing from people are wrong and the businesses that are doing this should not be supported.

Again, I think there are some great people at ASC and Pell City but trying to discuss the Skyride issues with them is pointless and counter productive. They are way too close to the issue and will never see the problem until they get away. Until then it is just perceived as a personal attack on their home.

Anyway, Just my 2 cents worth.:|