FireMedicJumper

Skyride Dropzone Coming to Prattville, Alabama?

Thanks for all the support. I just wish some people could realize that it is not about the past as much as it is about the future. What you think you see is no longer reality. Don't be afraid of straying from what has become the norm. We have all been born with eyes, yet some do not see....

Sorry dude, but... we can't talk about the future in a positive light until everyone cuts off all connections and support to/for Skyride/Ben/Cary.

Get them out of the picture, THEN we can talk.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Thanks for all the support. I just wish some people could realize that it is not about the past as much as it is about the future. What you think you see is no longer reality. Don't be afraid of straying from what has become the norm. We have all been born with eyes, yet some do not see....

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here but I have been told for the last two years that everything was changing at Skyride. The only thing I have seen change is their name to Thrill Planet and then venture into other sports and activities, in which they have the same business practices as they do in their skydiving business. Please don't sit here and tell us everything is changing. It make us think that you either think we are morons or that you are a liar. If you have to work there then fine but don't think you are going to change everyones minds just because you are a nice guy.

As I understand it they are having a "Demolition Boogie" during the last week of operation at Pell City. Why not go there and take all your frustration out with a sledge hammer; it should be quite therapeutic and cleansing for your soul.

Also, on another note: if Ben and Carey hadn't set up ASC, at the present time, Georgia would be left with Skydive Atlanta only. Also, if they hadn't set up ASC, there would have been no disgruntled instructors to start Skydive the Farm. Ever considered that?

Afterall, aren't we all sister dropzones?

LMAO... staff-wise and jumper-wise, maybe... but ASC is still saddled with that "Skyride" tag, and that just leaves a bad taste in everyone else's mouths.

You can blame Ben and Cary for all the shit they started and still perpetuate.

I still think USPA did the right thing kicking them out.

I disagree with your logic.

If Ben and Cary had not fucked with Greg then maybe The Farm would not be there. Then Rome and Monroe would both probably still be in business. Don't get me wrong I don't want to see ASC close cause while some of those people are cool, some of them need to stay there.

I disagree with your logic.

If Ben and Cary had not fucked with Greg then maybe The Farm would not be there. Then Rome and Monroe would both probably still be in business. Don't get me wrong I don't want to see ASC close cause while some of those people are cool, some of them need to stay there.

I think Rome and Monroe had their own set of problems (with their airport managements), but you're right, Ben and Cary really screwed Greg Dowdy over.

Hell, there are a lot of ex-ASC employees pissed off at Ben and Cary.

Those that have stuck with them all the way through, stay the fuck there. :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I speak with Rob everyday and he is totally about upholding the integrity of skydiving of ALA. at Prattville

Integrity? Horseface Rob? I dont' think so.

Really nice guy Rob. When he showed up at my DZ some years ago, a poor broke punk, I took pity on him. He wanted to downsize. I had a canopy that he wanted. I let him jump it while he collected the money for it and after he put 100 or so jumps on it he gives it back stating "I'm gonna buy this on instead". I told him he needs to pay me for the jumps he put on the canopy. He just tucked tail and ran away.

Integrity and Rob will never go together.

J
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

I have absolutely loved jumping at Pell City. I have made almost every single one of my jumps there. We have an amazing staff, and even more amazing and dedicated fun jumpers. It is very sad that the airport is building a big TOWER in the middle of our landing area and we must move, but really it is for the safety of our students.

I am looking towards Prattville with a very positive attitude! ( We will have air condition! )

Our DEMOLITION BOOGIE July 18-22nd will be awesome! We are going to be gutting the inside of the hanger, so come out (with a sledge hammer) and have a good time.

Especially you Matthias :) It would be nice to see all of our old friends!

Well thank god im not broke anymore....Some people still think im a punk!

I have finaced many peoples first rigs, i have let many people use my gear, I have fork over my punk money to fund peoples gear purchases.

Im not going to defend myself to you Chris or Judy (im not sure ) All i can say is "I still love ya" when did that happen like 1999 (grudge much)

Come out and jump with us in Alabama!

You are still a punk!

And I and Angelika will show up during the Demolition Boogie. Heck, we have enough money on account to jump w/o parachute!

Well thank god im not broke anymore....Some people still think im a punk!

I have finaced many peoples first rigs, i have let many people use my gear, I have fork over my punk money to fund peoples gear purchases.

Im not going to defend myself to you Chris or Judy (im not sure ) All i can say is "I still love ya" when did that happen like 1999 (grudge much)

Come out and jump with us in Alabama!

Also, if they hadn't set up ASC, there would have been no disgruntled instructors to start Skydive the Farm. Ever considered that?

Actually, Hans was skydiving at Billy Rhodes old DZ in Georgia before ASC. So if ASC was not there, the Farm would have been there eventually.

Billy Rhodes is an AFF Instructor Examiner who trains the DZ's. He had a dropzone in Georgia before all of the ASC/Skyride BS. He has been to ASC. But I will never tell what he thinks of Ben and Carey.

So stop posting when you don't know the real past.

Thanks.

B|

Well hell... i got an email about a DZ opening in Montgomery.. I'm guessing they meant Prattville (wuffo)

now I find out its a Skyride DZ... guess i'll leave the rig off the packing list when visiting the parents... [:/]

damn... :(

Well Rob, someone said you had integrity. I just said no you don't and why.

You might want to take some of your new found wealth and take an english class - you write like your good friend and boss Cary.

If you really want to save face on this Rob, you can send $300 to St. Jude Children's Hospital.

Judy

Judy and others can sit here and take shots and criticize Robs grammar all day. But if any one wants confirmation, I can tell you Rob has let numerous people take WHOLE rigs from him to jump with and pay off later. Rob has given back ten fold to the skydiving community when it comes to helping people get gear to jump with little money up front. I can't speak on the situation you bring up because I dont know the details, but I do know if Rob did walk away from your deal, he has stood and faced up to every one that I have personally seen him in. It sounds like your pissed because he didnt give you $300 after he decided to not buy the canopy.

Too many people want to criticize Rob because they have a problem with skyride. Rob is not skyride, nor is the DZ he manages. Rob works hard to run Pell City, and if any one of you were to actually talk to a local Pell City jumper, they will tell you the same.

later haterz,

Too many people want to criticize Rob because they have a problem with skyride. Rob is not skyride, nor is the DZ he manages. Rob works hard to run Pell City, and if any one of you were to actually talk to a local Pell City jumper, they will tell you the same.

Okay, just for the sake of argument, and I'm not bashing Rob here...

But when exactly did the DZ at Pell City STOP being a skyride DZ? Because after all... Ben and Cary, the owners of Skyride, BOUGHT that DZ.

So tell me.... when did that DZ stop being a skyride DZ? :|

Edited to add: USPA considered the DZ at Pell City to be a skyride DZ, as they kicked that DZ out of the DZ Membership program along with the Cedartown DZ and their DZ near Philadelphia.

First off, I think we both know that Pell City has never liked having skydiving near their facilities.

I'm not slamming Rob's ability to manage a DZ, but I do think the airport soured on the whole skyride deal. I jumped at Pell City for a long time, from 1995 to just after skyride took over a few years ago. I have made a few jumps there since then, but mostly for demo practice and one tandem involving a group from the deaf school. Not once in all that time before skyride took over did anybody say the airport was having problems with us, even going back a couple owners.

I was reminded of another thing yesterday while at a birthday party for a deaf friend's one year old girl. His neighbor is a private pilot in the area. I was wearing a skydiving demo team shirt, and he started asking me questions. I'd never met him before, but we got to talking about skydiving and flying. Apparently he knows all about the problems the Pell City airport and other private pilots have had with the way the DZ's pilot handled the jump plane there. He even witnessed himself, dangerous maneuvers by the jump plane pilot. He even used the word "dangerous" in describing the pilot's behavior.

Now, I didn't get a chance to go further into details so I don't know how recent his experience is, but I DO remember that the FAA went out there and had the entire DZ staff out in the field to talk to them about their operations a few years ago.

And of course, there was the business license, or lack thereof, oversight where the police showed up asking for proof. When they couldn't provide proof, they were shut down until one was obtained! The manifest lady at the time lied her ass off to the cops "oh we have a business license! it's at the Cedartown DZ in the file cabinet, we can fax it over!" Fact is, there never was one. Cops don't like being lied to.

In all the years I had been skydiving at Pell City BEFORE skyride took it over, there were never problems like that.

Maybe the DZ has improved the way they do business recently, but obviously they convinced the airport management otherwise. If they set up at Prattville, I hope for skydiving's general image, they don't do the same bullshit there.

Simply put, we are running out of airports to skydive at, and I do not want skydivers and jump pilots being assholes and screwing themselves out of airport access due to their stupidity. It has also happened to the Yazoo City Skydivers DZ in Mississippi as outlined in Parachutist.

Good luck in Prattville, hope you guys learned some lessons along the way and be nice down there.

everything said seems to be in the past. and for those of you saying that you're scared it's going to hurt skydive opelika's business... have you ever even been there?! you sit on your ass all day waiting for the plane to go up like twice for the entire day. if you want to actually progress at jumping you HAVE to go somewhere else because it's impractical there. plus buddy blue was an ass to me and my friend for no reason the whole time. we almost just left without jumping it was getting so irritating and being belittled like that was ridiculous! maybe i went on a bad day and that place rubbed me the wrong way but putting aside my bad taste of skydive opelika, it's not a practical place to excel in skydiving.

and do you guys jump at a turbine dz? if you do i'm sure buddy blue hates that dz too

everything said seems to be in the past. and for those of you saying that you're scared it's going to hurt skydive opelika's business... have you ever even been there?! you sit on your ass all day waiting for the plane to go up like twice for the entire day. if you want to actually progress at jumping you HAVE to go somewhere else because it's impractical there. plus buddy blue was an ass to me and my friend for no reason the whole time. we almost just left without jumping it was getting so irritating and being belittled like that was ridiculous! maybe i went on a bad day and that place rubbed me the wrong way but putting aside my bad taste of skydive opelika, it's not a practical place to excel in skydiving.

and do you guys jump at a turbine dz? if you do i'm sure buddy blue hates that dz too

To be honest i have never met the old mr Blue so no comment.If he is anything like chuck then i would happily share a beer. I am here to skydive.I don't need to make money doing what i love.That is what an education and having a business is all about. Now what is it your replying to me about exactly? I have no clue about alabama skydiving.

What did buddy do that was so offensive exactly?
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

What did buddy do that was so offensive exactly?

Probably came across as a crusty old fart. :D He is getting up there in years. :P He treated me just fine when I was there though but that was years ago, AND before his mishap at the Marathon Key drop zone. ;)

I have been at Pell City since it opened. The business lisence thing was just some minor confusion. It was clerared up by the next weekend

As far the local pilot telling you about our dangerous jump plane pilot?...............Thats a freaking joke! The guy you talked to probably has like ten hours of seat time and just wanted to join in the skydiving trash talk so he could fit in. Our pilots do just fine. The only time the FAA has talked to the staff at our DZ was when these ultra safe local pilots had a mid air collision. The FAA came to us looking for witnesses.

As far as the airport is concerned the only thing that has changed since "skyride" took over is the amount of jumpers in the air. Us leaving has nothing to do with the way we do business. You are a liar!!!!! just like skyride huh? People who live in glass houses shouldnt throw stones.

everything you guys post is all second hand information , hear say, or completely irrelevant.

If you want to spend time digging up trash then go ahead. I'm sure when you were 10 yrs old you stole some candy or something. Maybe we should start a thread about what a shitty person you are.

Our dropzone isnt perfect but its no different than any other. It has its pros and its cons.
I love how people bash this little drop zone for the dumbest reasons. If you want to jump at opelika fine. I just hope you dont have to rent gear. If you train there you might want to check to make sure your instructor is actually an instructor. While you're at it ask to see the pilots' lisence.

Any more dirt and speculation you guys want to bring up?

GROW UP!
i'll huff and I'll puff and I'll burn your packing tent down

If you want to jump at opelika fine. I just hope you dont have to rent gear. If you train there you might want to check to make sure your instructor is actually an instructor. While you're at it ask to see the pilots' lisence.

GROW UP!

Ya gotta love posts like this.
This guy chastises Billy for his accusations.....tells him to grow up....and in the paragraph quoted makes his own set of allegations against a competing dropzone.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

If you want to jump at opelika fine. I just hope you dont have to rent gear. If you train there you might want to check to make sure your instructor is actually an instructor. While you're at it ask to see the pilots' lisence.

GROW UP!

Ya gotta love posts like this.
This guy chastises Billy for his accusations.....tells him to grow up....and in the paragraph quoted makes his own set of allegations against a competing dropzone.

And the gibberish in his profile makes absolutely no sense at all. Typical skyride ass-kisser. :S

As far the local pilot telling you about our dangerous jump plane pilot?...............Thats a freaking joke! The guy you talked to probably has like ten hours of seat time and just wanted to join in the skydiving trash talk so he could fit in.

He has his own plane and a couple thousand hours of flight time. He's not the only pilot that has mentioned the problems. IIRC there were 3 Alabama hall of famer pilots that complained too. You have absolutely no idea what the hell you are talking about.

You just go ahead and move to Prattville and stir up the shit there. :|

Billy, my personal opinion is - get the F&%$§ over whatever experience you had with the ASC owners in the past! Your inbetween-the-line-words tell me about your immaturity! Unreal! Always remember: As you make your bed, so you must lie in it! Ever questioned yourself about that fact?

Fact is: It is not only Rob and Laura, who have been doing a great job of increasing the crowd of fun jumpers at Pell City, but also all the other staff members, who make me come all the way from across the ocean multiple times a year. Not to forget all the fun jumpers who will also come to Prattville in the future BECAUSE of the people, who buildt a great base for people coming back!

Also, I totally disagree with your fatuous statement about USPA taking the group membership away!! I have not seen many DZs with the same high safety standards like those guys practice! Keep this in mind and be real in your comments!

I wish all the guys from Pell City a great move to Prattville and I am looking forward to joining them again soon!

I am sorry for people like Billy, who probably have a very poor life with very view friends and therefore lots of boredom to put 12000 something NEGATIVE posts on the forums!!

My advice for a positive life-style:
Step 1: Start getting up in the mornings with a smile in your face.
Step 2: Smile at yourself in the mirror in the mornings.
Step 3: Smile at other people and you will see - they will give you a smile in return...
Step 4: Think POSITIVE!