hackish

c182 airplane question

What's your fuel consumption at max climb?

I'm thinking that average weight for 1 pilot 2 tandems and 1 more jumper ought to work out to about 1300lbs.

Fuel is 6 lbs a gallon, I've never heard of an operation fueling for just one load but anything is possible.

It varies, of course, depending on weather, actual weight, winds, etc... but typically we get to 10,000' in 16-17 minutes and we plan for 8 gallons per load. We almost always fuel 16 gallons for two loads but adjust according to actual usage.

SkydiveAllegan.com

Most of the older cessna 182s come with normally aspirated carburated continentals. There are numerous STC's giving them power up to 300hp with or without fuel injection by either modifying or replacing the engine/prop. There are a few factory turbo'd 182's out there, most are retracts, but a few straight legs too, they all had a carburated lycoming 0-540 engine rated at 235hp. I don't know of any STC to add a turbo to continental powered cessna 182/206/207's but there are several to remove it from 206's/207's. There is one for adding a turbo to the 185 and several companies put turbos on 206's for export. I'm sure there are a handful of one-time only field conversions flying around which may or may not be legal.

New Cessna's (beginning somewhere around 1990) are all Lycoming powered, fuel injected, and the 182/206 are available with optional turbo's as of 5-6 years ago.

Turbos on smaller GA aircraft are generally for maintaining sea-level power at altitude instead of adding power, most are rated for continous operation at 30-35 in. hg. manifold pressure. normal sea level pressure is about 30" and without a turbo you lose approx 1" per 1000 feet. Because turbos are heavier, heat the induction air, and normally use lower compression pistons (to increase detonation margin) they are somewhat less efficient at low altitudes, but really shine above 10,000msl.

From the outside the best way to tell if a 182 is turbo'd or not is the location of the air intake. Its center front on most, and on the turbo's (lycoming version) there is a scoop on the left side of the cowling, just forward of the firewall.

For 206/207's look at the exhaust configuration. The turbos have a vertical pipe coming down out of the right side of the cowling just forward of the cowl flap.