FireMedicJumper

Young skydiver meets old rig

A few days ago, an 18 year old skydiver and friend of mine, Tucker Sandlin, made a Paracommander jump at Raeford. We were joking about him being younger than the rig he was jumping! He did a great job and made a good landing on the DZ in the main landing area, and I was lucky enough to get to tag along and snap a few pics.

Sweet! Give the kid credit for testicular fortitude!

A couple of years ago I did my 25 year anniversary jump on on old T-10 with a belly wart reserve. There was lots of interest around the DZ, and a swarm of terrified younger jumpers who stood back and watched. It was a bit stressful for an oldtimer, but at least I had confidence in the equipment. For a young kid it's gotta be crazy frightening.

Oh yeah, one other thing...it's also pretty fun!
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Way back in a previous life, I jumped w/ that equipment. I remember looking at that chest mounted reserve thinking, "there's no way that will work!". Fortunately, that reliable T-10 opened every time. I didn't graduate to a Paracommander for a couple of jumps.

Stan

No. He usually jumps at Skydive Opelika. Most of the regular jumpers Opelika just got home from a week or so at Raeford. We had a great time there and all the regulars were way cool and very friendly. We also got to meet and check out Paraclete and Airspeed! The team guys were just as friendly as the regular joes.:)

-The first photo is a contradiction of the gear of the day.The main container was un-modified B-4 its was usually cut down to a three pin circa 1967 on The reserve is a center pull not out until about 1973. To be compatible with the main ,it would have been a side pull with-out a pilot chute[pulland punch].It wasnt until much later that a tri-vent was finally available for 24's, I had 23 tri-cons 26 Navy, 26Lo-Po'seven 28ft surplus steerable

Well if you ever want to make a road trip I got a lot to chose from all ready to go.

wow
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Well if you ever want to make a road trip I got a lot to chose from all ready to go.

I will definetly take you up on that offer!!! Hopefully in the not so distant future. :)
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Wow, looks like you got about 14 or 15 of them. If I ever come out your way you think we could find that many people and make a big starB|
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, th

A few days ago, an 18 year old skydiver and friend of mine, Tucker Sandlin, made a Paracommander jump at Raeford. We were joking about him being younger than the rig he was jumping! He did a great job and made a good landing on the DZ in the main landing area, and I was lucky enough to get to tag along and snap a few pics.

Wow, does that bring back memories:$
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln