autoset

What's the deal with wearing ear plugs during free fall?

I have heard/read all kind of stuff related to this, like:

-your eardrums will explode because of the pressure change.
-the ear plugs will get stuck deep inside your ear canal because of the pressure too.
-you should make a hole in the ear plugs to allow pressurization of the ear canal with the outside air, etc, etc.:S

I have read old posts about this and everyone seems to have a different opinion, let's clear everything up right here right now. Does anyone here actually have jumped with ear plugs? It doesn't damage your hearing ability or anything right?

Is it ok to wear them all the way from take off to finally being under canopy?

Is there any truth to these myths about air pressure and ear plugs or what? (talking about a healthy jumper, no sinus infection or cold or anything)

I would like to use the foam ones that completely seal the ear canal from the outside, Is it ok or it's better to make a tiny hole for pressurization?:o

Some pics of different ear plug models to choose from attached.

Jeez, they are fine, don't worry about it. They limit your ability to hear conversation on the plane, they reduce noise levels nicely, and they won't make your head explode. I've worn them many times.

If you're a student on radio control, they might be a bad idea.

NOISE....... ask any motorcyclist and they'll tell you that wind noise is long term bad for your hearing and skydive helmets are crap at redusing wind noise.

Neve doubt, that 120mph of wind noise will impact your hearing.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I use them on most jumps. On the plus side it makes me more able to hear my audible and to hear other people in the landing area after I land (and take them out.) On the minus side it makes me less able to hear people under canopy. I sometimes use earplugs with those cords so you can pull them out under canopy; that avoids that problem, but adds the issue of yet something else to dangle and get in the way.

Neve doubt, that 120mph of wind noise will impact your hearing.

Huh? What was that?
I can't hear you over this ringing...

Oh, maybe it was all the Judas Priest concerts...
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Uh, its really loud in the plane. Freefall is REALLY loud, about as loud as racing a motorcycle at the same speed, but without all the sirens and helicopter noise.

:D

I had congestion on my first jump and my head really did explode. My Tandem guy hated that! Brains all over, etc. Did make for a great video tho.

;)

For real though. Get some little rubber sponge ones. Thats all. Just make sure that you aren't all clogged up, because by the time you get to the ground, the pain can be excruciating.

Oh yeah, and you are doing aff you may want to get the ones that little handles on them so you can take them out when you are under stable canopy, because JMs are always yammering at you over the little radio about turn left, turn right, yadda yadda yadda.

Oh yeah, and you are doing aff you may want to~~~~~

Please allow me to re-write your suggestion:

"Oh yeah, and you are doing aff you may want to" talk to your instructors and ask what they recommend while you are on student status.
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

I have ones similar to the ones in picture 1. I wear them on the ride to altitude and take them out prior to exit.

For me it's actually easier to hear other people on the plane but the plane engine noise is gone. I just started wearing them about 100 jumps ago and I love em.

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

I've worn ones most like the red ones (the green variety) from before getting on the airplane to after landing for the last 4-500 jumps or so. I do not believe my head has exploded.

Some conversations are easier to hear in the airplane, some harder. It's defininitely easier to concentrate in freefall, and no trouble hearing my protrack at all. Including when I used to jump a pro-tec helmet.

I do use visual cues when among canopies, rather than waiting for them to yell at me, but that hasn't been a problem. I'll admit I'd consider getting close enough by accident to need to be yelled at as a significant lapse in awareness.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

5700 jumps with helmets and recent tests have shown no reduction in my hearing.

only 300 jumps with helmets and recent tests (more own trouble hearing things) have shown reduction in my hearing.

Could you tell us why you remove them before FF please?

You weren't asking me, but I do the same. I don't like the sound of being under canopy with them in, it makes me uncomfortable to be sitting up there with one of my senses dulled.

I don't hear the wind noise ever, but that doesn't mean it isn't hurting my ears.

I have a full face helmet so I can't take them out under canopy. Instead of doing all or nothing at least I can protect my ears from the engine noise.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

The wind/plane noise will damage your hearing. I could tell a difference after 50 jumps, and then I started wearing them. I hear people just fine within about a 5 foot radius when they're in, and it improves my ability to hear what people are saying in the plane because it cuts out the white/background noise.

I leave them on under canopy. In fact, on the few occasions now that I jump without them, the canopy ride makes me nervous because I hear the wind whistling through my lines and under my helmet that is just plain unnatural. :)
You don't need anything fancy for an earplug, the cheapo foam ones do just fine.

Why don't you just play 'chicken' on the railroad tracks? It would be a cheaper way to toy with death, I'm sure.

CWR #2 - "You SAID collision!"

Well I have trouble getting my helmet on while keeping them in is a big reason.

I also really like being able to hear under canopy.

I guess more than anything personal preference.

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

Thanks.

I had the same problem with my m/c helmet too... just took practice really.

But I no longer wear them enough (I keep loosing them and waiting ages before replacing them[:/]).

I know that all of the noise is damaging so I should pay more attention........ but dont.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Maybe its because I've got smaller ears or something, but even though I always wear them in the airplane, I NEVER wear them in freefall. A couple of times I forgot to take them out and I was screaming in pain in freefall because my ears couldn't adjust to the sudden pressure changes with the earplugs in..

Quite often, even in the airplane on the ride up, I'll have to take the earplugs out briefly to let my ears adjust and then put them back in. That seems to be more of an issue on fast-climbing planes than slow ones however.

I've only just started wearing them on the ride up, i take them out just before i get out so: 1. I have all my senses switched on if something goes wrong, 2. I can talk more easily to people just before the exit. 3. I like the sound of the air under canopy. :)