illusioneer

speed anyone?

So it is true! After 14 years of trying to turn back into a whuffo, they make you take the WHOLE AFF 1st jump course[:/]
I fell of of a plane this weekend over beautiful West Point Virginia:)Now 14 years has put a few pounds on me...
My question has to do with speed (a.k.a. being a fat ass). My instructor said I fell around 152mph...That is in a flat, stable position with a slight arch.

Do any of you other big boys fall this fast, and is there any hope i can fly rw before I lose all this weight?

...is there any hope i can fly rw before I lose all this weight?

If, by RW, you mean "fall in the same vicinity as some other people" or "be in the base on big-ways", then you've got a chance if you get a very baggy jumpsuit with swoop cords.

If, however, you want to turn points or compete, the jumpsuit and the body position you'll have to adopt to stay with people will make losing the weight a hell of a lot easier than the alternative. And you'll probably live longer.

A fairly standard fall-rate for RW is 115-125mph.

1st- I don't want to hear the word cheeseburger! I have lost 30lbs and still smoke'n down on my weight...300to 700 calories per day most days with a day off now and then.

2nd- even when i was 235-240lbs I was always trying to hug a beach ball in freefall...just to stay up with everyone else.

I was hoping to find some other people with smoking fall speed...

I could go with someone who does head down and have someone to fly withB|

I was just wondering how many other big guys are out there....and what rate they had.

I was just wondering how many other big guys are out there....and what rate they had.

Well...I'm 6'4" and 240 w/o gear, no idea what my fall rate is, those newfangled gizmos scare me...but I can do reasonably well combat RW. :$:);)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

When I was 6 feet and 260 with gear I fell fast but worked it out with a slightly baggy cotton jump suit and some different techniques. The beach ball thing did not work as well as what I call a "starfish." The beach ball grab did not increase my surface area enough and the cupped air did not stay around for long. For me, I find a flatter stretch with feet and head turned sideways allows me to float up to and stay with other jumpers better.

Im about 6'1 and 240lbs and just like you i naturally fall like a rock, fast fast fast

When i started i went down the baggy jump suit route which works just fine, but what you will find out in the long run is that if you work on your weak areas enough (slow fall for me and you) you don't need equipment to help you anymore.

I can now turn points and freefly with just about anybody i want without the need for a clown suit to slow me down. Your flying position will naturally change to compensate for your weight the more you jump, i have a very big flat body position all the time and just have to work my legs like mad if i actually need to slowfall some more.

Dont give up trying and definately dont give up the cheese burgers, it will become easy with time and jumps

Right now I'm 230 lbs. and I'm 5' 10" Thats 260 out the door with gear.
Whats worse is that its mostly muscle as I do a lot of bodybuilding.
This means I'm very small for my weight.

Its not just how much you weigh. Your mass:volume ratio is important

A heavy:small guy is gonna go a whole lot faster than a heavy:large guy at the same weight cuz the large guy has more drag.

I go pretty fast but I have a suit with booties thats baggy and made of poly-cotton and it helps a lot. At this weight I can fall at RW speeds
and turn points.

Its one of natures cruel jokes that a fatter guy with less muscle will actually have an easier time of it, their weights being equal.

For me, 230 lbs is about the MAX I can weigh and still successfully do RW without falling out of the formation when we go to turn points.
__

My mighty steed