peanutgallery

What's the deal with the headaches?

I just finished my 7th jump and so far after every single jump I get a wicked headache that lasts for the rest of the day/night. I drink plenty of water before I go up and I'm not congested or anything. Tonight's is pretty bad (maybe cause I jumped twice today) so I'm wondering if anyone has any insight into what's the cause and how to prevent it. I didn't find anything very useful when I did a search on the forums. My instructor said it might be cause I hadn't eaten in a while, which is possible today but not really for the other days. Is it the altitude?
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke

I have had altitude sickness...The main symptom is a headache. I only got it after spending hours at over 10k and then sleeping there. I don't know if it can happen with a short trip up high. Try taking some motrin 1hr before jumping and see if that helps. You may want to call your family doc and make sure it is not a sign of something more problematic.

Right behind your eyeballs? Like an icepick stuck through your head from one ear to the other? Oh, you said you were not congested, so nevermind those questions.

Do you have a job where you are seated for long periods of time?
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

Do you have a history of getting migraines? I suffer from migraines and have found that skydiving can trigger them. There are many nerves that can specifically trigger a migraine. If you are experiencing hard openings strain on your neck can cause a tension headache or a migraine. Also if you are popping your ears quite a bit by yawning the nerves located around your jaw can also cause either tension headaches or a migraine. If you are experiencing eye strain by either contacts or excessive sunlight this can also act as a trigger. As others have said staying hydrated is crucial, as there is a real possibility of your brain getting a little too warm and causing the blood vessels in the brain to dilate and cause a migraine. Taking any sort of anti-inflammatory such as Advil can help. Drink plenty of water, watch those openings, and maybe get tinted goggles.
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

I will try that, thank you. I do always drink plenty of water and my openings haven't been too hard yet. It has been incredibly hot though so maybe that has something to do with it. I don't have a history of migraines but I do have to pop my ears almost every time. It sucks, I hope it's something that will go away eventually.

I will try that, thank you. I do always drink plenty of water and my openings haven't been too hard yet. It has been incredibly hot though so maybe that has something to do with it. I don't have a history of migraines but I do have to pop my ears almost every time. It sucks, I hope it's something that will go away eventually.

If this doesn't stop please see a doctor. Seeking medical advice on the internet from people who are not doctors (and from my best recollection of who I know on here to be a doctor, none of the posters are) isn't the best way to go about things. You shouldn't be getting headaches after every jump and if you are there is probably something going on.

Again, please seek qualified advice, I might have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but that doesn't mean I should make suggestions of how you deal with what could be a serious health problem. :):):S
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

You didn't seem like you had a headache when you got down from that last AFF jump.

I think it is DZ with drawl syndrome, a possible solution would be to spend more time at the DZ. Drinking beers at the DZ after jumping is done is also a good supplement to the original remedy:P:ph34r:

Seriously though, I hope it turns out to be short lived and no big deal, especially since you are progressing so well. Keep up the good work Keri.

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

You didn't seem like you had a headache when you got down from that last AFF jump.

I told Les and he said that I needed to eat, but it really has been everytime I'm just not much of a complainer. Hopefully it stops. Thanks for the props! Maybe beers tomorrow night, we'll see if it's a cure-all B|

I realize that I am not a doctor and I was merely giving information on what I have experienced and things that worked for me. I have been suffering from migraines since I was 4 years old and have met with many neurologists including seeking help from the Diamond Headache Clinic in Chicago and have done a lot of research. As with any medical issue one should always consult with a doctor, but there are people out there that can provide first hand experience and tips. I was only drawing on my area of knowledge.
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

I just finished my 7th jump and so far after every single jump I get a wicked headache that lasts for the rest of the day/night. I drink plenty of water before I go up and I'm not congested or anything. Tonight's is pretty bad (maybe cause I jumped twice today) so I'm wondering if anyone has any insight into what's the cause and how to prevent it. I didn't find anything very useful when I did a search on the forums. My instructor said it might be cause I hadn't eaten in a while, which is possible today but not really for the other days. Is it the altitude?

I noticed the same thing for my first ~50 jumps.

Then someone recommended that I clear my ears immediately after opening (plug your nose and blow like a scuba diver).

Since I've been doing that, the headaches are MUCH less noticable, if at all.

Also, sometimes I clear my ears once during freefall, then again after opening.

Good luck!

I don't have a history of migraines but I do have to pop my ears almost every time.

I would imagine it's pressure-related. I don't normally have the issue you describe, however I have serious hay-fever in late august & september, and during that time I will get headaches after 2-3 jumps that get progressively worse throughout the day. It's related to the pressure change and my inability to completely clear my ears/sinuses during and after the jump You could be experiencing a more severe case of the same. things that might help:

try to clear your ears immediately after opening, as well as during decent if necessary and when you land. This will reduce the pressure differntial somewhat, and may make it easier to clear them. Time may also help... lots of jumps will eventually make your ear canals more flexible and adaptable to pressure change. For me, it used to be difficult and somtimes painful to clear them, but now is very easy and never painful except when congested.

But, I'm just guessing. If it's really bad and doesn't go away, see a doctor. Good luck!
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."