BounceEasy

Is A Wave-Swoop Possible?

I haven't been able to find any precedents of attempting to swoop a breaking ocean wave.

I would like to sponsor the attempt of such a manuever, just to have it happen.

The question is of practicality: Is the risk of canopy entanglement too great? Is this possible without special permission? (i.e. DZ by the beach?)
Is this possible or just not worth exploring?

We are amateur video/photographers, but we have Hi-Def Video and Digital Cameras. All expenses would be covered for anyone willing make an attempt.

I've been wondering about this for a while so any feedback is appreciated.

(p.s. We're in Florida, so we can film in the southeast pretty easily or travel to just about anywhere)

If you walk, just walk. If you sit, just sit. But whatever you do, don't wobble.
- Master Ummon

I did too, but it was on a ParaCommander, into a farm pond. The breakers were really small. I think it was 1974.

:D

DW,

You realize that the 3 posters above you were probably not even alive in 1974... or at the least still crappin' in their pants then... think a PC is a pilot chute... and have no real idea what a ParaCommander is... umm... in actuality, I'm glad those days ever pre-date me... :$

I did too, but it was on a ParaCommander, into a farm pond. The breakers were really small. I think it was 1974.

DW,

You realize that the 3 posters above you were probably not even alive in 1974... or at the least still crappin' in their pants then... think a PC is a pilot chute... and have no real idea what a ParaCommander is... umm... in actuality, I'm glad those days ever pre-date me... :$

Don't bet on it.

DW,

Don't bet on it.

Well, I'm fairly sure Spizz wasn't with us in 74... and well... even today, reportedly he still craps in his pants from time to time after a rough night... :D

I haven't been able to find any precedents of attempting to swoop a breaking ocean wave.

The question is of practicality: Is the risk of canopy entanglement too great? Is this possible without special permission? (i.e. DZ by the beach?)

Swoop across the face, or just in front of the advanced wave? The latter may not be possible given the slow speed of waves.

Given a few trials, I'm sure you can get such footage, but it doesn't seem like it would be all that novel. Easiest place to do it would be a good beach boogie.

Swoop across the face, or just in front of the advanced wave? The latter may not be possible given the slow speed of waves.

Given a few trials, I'm sure you can get such footage, but it doesn't seem like it would be all that novel. Easiest place to do it would be a good beach boogie.

I just don't think you'll find any swooper willing to surf a breaking wave, as those are usually far enough off the beach, and they'll run out of speed and go plop into the water. Salt water can't be good for the gear.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

It was done routinely by a number of jumpers here at Flagler, both while Rocky Evans had Flagler Aviation and later when Freddie Brown had Skydive Daytona.

And yes, at least once a bigger than expected break resulted in canopy, lines, and jumper all getting wet. All were immediately rinsed well in fresh water on return to the DZ.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

5 Footer?! shit you don't want to get that wrong, i can think of nicer ways to go than getting rolled up underwater in a zp canopy.

Edited - mind you, a skysurf jump, then a swoop where you chop your main as you touch the wave then surf on into the beach would be pretty cool ;)

Never try to eat more than you can lift

Fuck the 5 footer BS, I want to see some real balls to the wall shit, Waimea Bay Hawaii in the winter time with the standard 30 to 35 plus foot swells and yes they break on the beach north of the river. Yea you've seen those waves in the big wave riding films, but you may have not known it, now that is no pussyfooting around, GO BIG or GO HOME! I'll video for free.:D:D:P

you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

I've always said my dream jump would be to take a surfboard for a skysurf and cut-away the main as I catch a wave.

Now seeing as I can't surf yet or skysurf for that matter it's going to be a long haul before it happens. [:/]

But it is my dream jump for sure! B|

I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

I just don't think you'll find any swooper willing to surf a breaking wave, as those are usually far enough off the beach, and they'll run out of speed and go plop into the water. Salt water can't be good for the gear.

You can find beach breaks that are 10ft from the water's edge. Don't last very long, of course, so the timing would be very tricky and the swoop across the wave would be just a few seconds.

You can find beach breaks that are 10ft from the water's edge. Don't last very long, of course, so the timing would be very tricky and the swoop across the wave would be just a few seconds.

That'll work... I thought the thread was referring to the first wave breaks, which are further out.

As for the huge waves at Hawaii.... think anybody under a VX 69 or similar sized canopy, could get it to fit in the tunnel of a 35 foot wave?

Would be awesome shit... ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

That'll work... I thought the thread was referring to the first wave breaks, which are further out.

Dependent on the sand underneath. The one that comes to mind for me has only the singular break right next to shore. The bottom sharply goes from 20ft to 2ft, and then it's just a few feet to the edge. Many beaches have this sort of setup - you can get 10 foot waves and larger. My local example is called Mortuary (Monastery) beach for a reason. Very dangerous if you're not watching it.

As for the huge waves at Hawaii.... think anybody under a VX 69 or similar sized canopy, could get it to fit in the tunnel of a 35 foot wave?

Would be awesome shit... ;)

quite awesome, but probably about as risky as the first planned no canopy wingsuit landing.

The wave at Sebastian Inlet breaks pretty near to shore..The sub-tropical storm in May gave us 6-8 ft faces. I dunno if that break is within the DZ landing restrictions though..

Free jump tickets/transportation/video/etc for any takers..

Tropical Depression #4 just formed in the Atlantic..
:ph34r:

If you walk, just walk. If you sit, just sit. But whatever you do, don't wobble.
- Master Ummon

The wave at Sebastian Inlet breaks pretty near to shore..The sub-tropical storm in May gave us 6-8 ft faces. I dunno if that break is within the DZ landing restrictions though..

Free jump tickets/transportation/video/etc for any takers..

Tropical Depression #4 just formed in the Atlantic..
:ph34r:

Sign me up.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.