daniel52587

Trouble with landing....

I have 39 jumps and all I have left is my checkout dive and exam for my A. For some reason, I have been having trouble with stand up landings. I dont know if I and coming at the ground too fast because I turned to late on my final approach, or if I am not flaring all the way (which I think I am but I dont really pay attention nor remember if I did after im on the ground), or if I am flaring too late and fast. Can you guys give me some proper landing technique so I am not the only certified diver landing on there ass or rolling on a beautiful low wind dayB|. Thanks.

Have an instructor video three of your landings from the ground. Review the video with the instructor first, then take it home a replay it to digest what you have learned.

If you can manage to take a canopy piloting course, like the one Scott Miller teaches all over the place, it will greatly benefit your canopy piloting performance. You will learn more about what makes the canopy fly and what different jumper inputs do in a multitude of situations.
Arrive Safely

John

As Slotperfect said...get some video of your landings. It helped me tremendously to recognize the errors in my technigue.

I've paid close attention to what is published and what is shared with regard to flaring and landing properly. I've taken a canopy course with Brian and it was suprising to find that there are people with several hundred jumps that still have a difficult time with landing. You definitely are not alone.

I believe that teaching a person to flare at the right moment is akin to telling someone how to apply the brakes properly while driving a car for the first time. You have to feel for it. Different cars have different pressure applications for different situations. You can probably jump in any vehicle now and don't have any problem at all. Why?

You've probably heard the following several times from instructors. It worked well for me.

After you open go through your usual air-space and canopy check. While you're above decision altitude, turn into the wind, close your eyes and flare. Feel the spot that you start to swing forward and finish your flare. Depending on your canopy, it may start to stall at the bottom, so be prepared.

Do this with your eyes open and closed. Your mind and body should remember the transition point. It will change depending on various factors, but it will also help you to become more in tune with your canopy. The problem with thinking your way through every landing without feeling it too is that you can't always think fast enough. By the time your brain tells you to do something, it's time to do something different.

>Should I come in half brakes then when I am about 5 feet up flare as hard as I can?

Generally no. This is a survival technique that is useful if you cannot judge flare height (i.e. you are landing in bushes or corn or something) but full flight, then flaring, will give you the best chance of a good landing on an ordinary field.

New, fairly in-experienced guy here . . .

Don't fly your approach in half brakes. Your canopy will have less forward speed which will transition to less energy available in the flare.

I took the canopy class at DeLand. My big take-away was that with slow, fat, student gear, like mine, the flare takes longer than I thought. I was starting it too low, so the canopy didn't have time to react fully before I touched down. Get some expert advice.

I also wrap one handfull of brake line, but that's another thread.

Read my top line again.

Stan

Slot Perfect and Rok both give good advice. Get to a course on canopy piloting if you can, and at the very least get your landings on video for review.

On final, set up so you can let your canopy fly at full flight (toggles all the way up) for at least ten seconds before you start your flare. (no half brake approaches) This allows you to build up air speed. Air speed is your friend. It converts to lift during the flaring process. Lift is what slows your forward speed and decent.
Be sure to finish your flare just prior to touching down. Many young jumpers don't finish their landing flare. Finishing means to bring your hands and toggles all the way down past your waist. (preferably in front of you)

All this should be performed while looking at a point about half way between you and the horizon. Don't look straight down.

Also call USPA and order the video "Fly to Survive". (it's cheap)
It came out a couple of years ago for Safety Day. Your DZ's S&TA may have a copy of it.
It has some excellent footage of landings with voice over explaining everything. I use it in the canopy course I teach. This DVD can make a huge difference.

Also, know this. When you go back to your DZ and tell your instructors that you got all this "great advice" on the internet, they will likely be very skeptical. This is a good thing. Not everything you read is good advice. I suggest you print this thread and show it to your mentors. Let them help you discern the good from the not so good. And get into a course.

Happy Landings
Be Safe
Sandy

BTW: Cory Taylor lives next door.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

Wow, thanks. And thanks to all who replied. I jumped today and got my liscense. 2 or the 3 jumps were stand ups. One I skidded on my butt. One of my stand ups was kind of due right, but I ran it off. I talked to my check out dive coach about it and explained to me. Then the main video guy for tandems saw me and also said I was pulling too much right(causing the right drift). I am getting the feel for it. I think I have just been flaring too late and not letting the canopy get the full flare. But like I said I am getting the feel of it. Thanks for the advice and the video. Very much appreciated.

I found having someone on the ground near me was a great way of judging the distance. As said as well look more forwards than downwards as it helps judge the height better.

I found this article helped me as well for getting the body position right

http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk/cms/content/view/141/1/

By getting th body position right it keeps the canopy balanced and also allows your legs to act more of a shock absorber. With these to in mind when you land you can adapt more quickly to the speed you are moving in relation to the ground, giving a better chance for a stand up landing.

Also i was told that if i did find myself veering to, say, the right a bit. Its better to put more left toggle brake than it is to take off the brake on the right toggle. Remember to complete the flare and keep it until you are on the ground stationary.