sraja

Chicago to London via Lufthansa and back

I have searched and read up on the posts regarding traveling with rigs so I am aware of the standard advice to US travellers. However, can anyone shed light on travel from the UK to US with a rig? On my last trip to UK (without a rig), the UK security folks seemed more rigid especially with their one bag policy.

Current UK airport restrictions are pretty tight. You are only allowed to take 1 bag through security on to the plane INCLUDING hand bag/purse etc. The actual size and weight of the bag is generally limited by the airline (security does have a max size, but it is generally higher than the airlines own restrictions).

As to rigs etc, you are normally OK with them from a security point of view. The CAA (UK version of FAA) has no problem with them, but doesn't have it actually written anywhere. It is possible that you find some jobs worth security screener who will not let it on as carry on no matter what you say or show them. Saying that, I have only once known it to be an issue.

Standard rules apply - don't volunteer information unless specifically asked. Take your Cypres card with you, don't mentioned detonators, explosives, propellants - even "cutters" may upset them now.

Happy travels

Blue skies

Paul