Hazarrd

Most interesting out landing?

Old story / urban legend: A guy went along with his friend's suggestion of a "nekkid" jump - only his buddies organised a detour and threw him out over town so that he would have to hitchhike back to the DZ "inappropriately dressed"

The only place he could find to land was a primary school sports field - problem was that is was break time and +/- 1000 kids were on the field to see him land!! :S :$ The kids were really excited about the impropmtu demo and as he landed they all ran towards him.

He was understandably not keen to be seen in his natural state, and grabbed his chute and started running away from the kids towards an exit point. This only excited the kids even more, and they ran after him!

His friends in the plane were breaking themselves laughing as they watched the naked "pied piper" leading the kids off the field and onto a road!!

Don't know how the story ended but considering he still had to find his way back to the club naked, I would imagine that there was a severe sense of humour failure on his part!!

The last one I had was a King Air boogie, very late sunset load (it was dark). I landed right next to the drive through window at McDonald's. The lady picking up her food gave me a ride back to the DZ.

No way - you too?!? The people at the drive-thru were not so friendly to me, they just pulled up to get their order and drove off! I did go back later that night and get a free meal, though. The store manager thought I was going to sue them - I still am not quite sure for what.

The funny (or stupidly, incredibly lucky) thing is that I had taken Scott Miller's canopy course the week before. If it wasn't for that, I would have really been in some serious pain. After that, I wanted to make bracelets that said "WWSMD" - what would Scott Miller do - because that's what ran through my head from the minute I knew I would not make it back to the DZ. :D

My whuffo friends & family have not gotten tired of McDonald's drive-thru jokes, even two years later :S

My whuffo friends & family have not gotten tired of McDonald's drive-thru jokes, even two years later

Thats funny. Same with all my friends. I have told my wife that story so many times, every time we drive by that Mc Donalds she says "I know you landed there on a jump".:D
Kevin

Muff Brother #4041
Team Dirty Sanchez #467

2 weeks ago i managed to land off twice in one weekend... on the shoulder of a highway on one jump (got a ride back to the dz), then the next day on my pre-second jump on a higher wingloading, I landed in a small fenced-in area where i had to dodge a limo, go under/to the side of a man-bucket, and stay in a 10-15' lane next to the barbed-wire fence...

Then came the 2 big german shepherds with their owner not too far behind...

Bump.
This thread has been very amusing. Any more stories to keep it going??

About a month ago I landed out in the Washington State Patrol's high-speed driving training course, which is just on the other side of a bank of trees from Skydive Kapowsin's new location in Shelton. It was on a Saturday, though, so there was no actual training going on, and I did manage to find one of the few patches of grass to land on. The DZ did have to call the po-po to unlock the gates and come inside and pick me up. :D (Fortunately, they did not arrest me for trespassing on government property).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

A few years ago in Canada we were 3 in a 182. 2 guys doing some CReW and me on a solo. I opened and realized that I was WAY south of the DZ and was going to land in the woods. I saw a clearing in the trees beside a road with a couple of pickup trucks sitting there and decided that this would be my ride home.

There was no wind and I came in with a little swoopy-swoop and stopped about 10' from the trucks. When I looked over this highschool kid was smoking a doobie. He took it out of his mouth long enough to say 'cool' while stifling a cough, then kept on puffin.

Seeing as I was done skydiving for the day I helped finish the doobie then they gave me a lift back to the DZ. It was the fastest beer-light transition I've ever had:)

I got nuthin

At the Flanders boogie a couple of weeks ago we made a cross country skydive.
45 jumpers made the hop&pop from 3 cessna caravans at 13.000 ft.
Due to circumstances unknown the expected 40 kt winds at that alti were more close to 4 kts.

I was jumping a Navigator 240, and stayed in half brakes for what fet like forever.
Below me, I saw more and more jumpers turn into the wind and land.
When at 4000 ft. I still didn't recognise anything that resembled the area around the DZ, I just gave up, picked a field and landed - about 10 meters away from a man walking his dog and watching me land. As I landed in a field next to the last street of what turned out to be the Belgian town of Moorslede, some people came out of their houses to watch me land from their backyard.
After talking with the dog-owner, it turned out that I was right on course, but had landed about 9 km short of the DZ.
I fieldpacked my chute, and walked to the intersection planning to phone the DZ, but was picked up by some total stanger who had already pulled to skydivers out of some field, and who had just enough room left in his jeep for me.

It turned out that noone had made the DZ, most people landing 9-12 km out.
The most distance was covered by the only static liner on the load, who exited right before me and who was flying a Manta 290 at what looked like 80% brakes all the time from exit to beyond when I turned in to the wind.

Other out landings on this jump were way more spectacular than mine, but those are not my story to tell B|

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

My 17th jump opened 4500 lovely spot, off i went downwind, away with the fairies towards the powerlines and the motorway and kept going, right start thinking about landing pattern, dont no where i was in the meantime ( mind wise ) but thought to myself umm why am i over the motorway, so 1000 feet with a 230 student rig no way to make the dz, or was there i thought, and unbeknown to me i had got the attention of all the other people on the dz,' will he and, hes not going to try is he,' i was told later, then my sensible head returned, now i can have the wind blow me into the lines, or get squished on the very fast moving motorway or land in the huge industrial dirtbowl with them building a new road, i did a 90 left and floated not far above the motorway shit dnt they move fast when you look from above, then landed in a matrix pose in the middle of a dust bowl 1.5 km away. While i was coming down in said dustbowl i could see the van in the distance already sent out to retrieve the fool, landed stowed me toggles gathered up and climbed the dirtheap waved at the driver with a nice blue canopy he picked me up and rushed me back to the dropzone in time for tea and scones and i got back just as everyone else from my load was dropping there canopys to be packed. My instructor for my AFF did commend me for landing into the wind and when asked by a fellow student how did you know it was into the wind i replied ' well as i started to come in, the mound of dirt which i nearly ploughed into caught a gust of wind and blew about a ton of dust toward me damn near blinding me '
Prefer that than landing in cut cornfields though, ouch ouch ouch

After a recent engine problem I had to bail out about 2K. I knew I was above my buddies house and he was laying out by the pool. It would have been nice to land in his backyard, but there were too many obstacles to land my Stiletto 150 safely. I chose his neighbors yard instead.

He came over to me and said I thought you guys were jumping in my backyard to get me to skydive more until I saw two of you on their reserves. :)

steveOrino

i just had a cutaway last week. while i was following my freebag into a farmer`s field, i saw 3 coyote`s chasing it as it hit the ground. i saw them at about 200 feet and screamed wildly to try and scare them away. boy, did they ever hightail it out of there. found my bag, and shortly after my main. cool to scare wildlife away like that.

Helo pad on a criuse ship 2 miles off the beach in Mexico. Yeah, I spotted and not very well. J

Please do tell more! The thought of being blown over water scares the hell out of me as I'm a non-swimmer. Fortunately there isn't much water around my DZ... Landing 2 miles out at sea! How did you get home?

-Michael

I was doing CReW with WaltAppel and we were having so much fun, we forgot to keep our eyes on the DZ. After getting a bi-plane together and playing on the edg of a cloud, we scoped out a nice farm for our landing. I call this my "combat accuracy" jump. I found myself over a small front yard, with the road behind me, a fence in front of me, and trees on either side. I HAD to land right in the middle of the yard. I went to half brakes and sunk that baby straight down....to the absolute delight of the two boys who lived there.

I'm sure they had a story to tell at school the next day.
Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28