Hazarrd

Most interesting out landing?

Had my first one today.. so that is my most interesting. The guy that spotted the plane screwed it up..BIG TIME! we were spread all over the county! when i opened.. i saw right away that i wouldn't make it back, so I choose a larfe field and landed there. Had a 3/4 to a mile walk back to the DZ. Oh well..needed the exercise anyway!
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule

1st load at Quincy in 2000. We jumped Mullin's King Air and had a bad spot (probably because we were first out) on the sunset load. I was lucky, and did not have to jump over any barbwire fences on the way back to the airport. My dad on the other hand was a little pissed. For a second there when I knew I was going to land out, I thought about landing in the median of the divided highway, but figured that would cause a wreck.

Clint D-24352

Only had 2 out landings. Both were CRW related.. :P

The 2nd out landing happened last weekend. A friend and I went to another dropzone because our regular dropzone was rained out. It was only a Cessna 182 dropzone, so we climbed to 10.5, and the pilot informed us the uppers were doing around 60mph. After consulting with the other person for a few seconds, we decided a spot about 8 miles from the dropzone would be good.

We ended up landing 2.91 miles from the dropzone (I had a GPS with me). Our biggest mistake was probably not turning with the wind early enough. We flew into the wind for the first few thousand feet. So we wasted much of the potential of that 60mph uppers. By the time we turned back (maybe 7-8k) the winds at altitude weren't as high as we needed to get back. We were making good penetration, but we decided to put down in the best field we could find.

Since I had the GPS coordinates, I decided to have a little fun with some satellite images of the area, and created the following webpage: http://www.geocities.com/darkvaporx/adventures.html

It took us about 45min to an hour to hike back to a major road. I had a cell phone, and we called the dropzone to tell them we were alive and well. But since we weren't near any roads, we told them we would call them back when we could tell them where to find us. When we got to the highway, it wasn't long before a nice soccer mom and her kids picked us up and dropped us off at the airport.

I really enjoyed that jump though, hell of a lot of fun.

Juming a demo canopy at the WFFC while it was still in Qtown. Last out of a Casa and well, the airport was way out there. Dumped @ 4000k with no hopes of making it back. Landed in someone's back yard. The only open realestate in a sea of corn. Was picking up my canopy when 'dad' comes walking out the back door with tongs and a meat tray to check the burgers on the grill. First he looked at me, looked up, then looked at me and asked "Where did you come from?" I just pointed up.
Got fed, packed and had a beer and a few family pictures before being driven back to the airport.

"Was picking up my canopy when 'dad' comes walking out the back door with tongs and a meat tray to check the burgers on the grill. First he looked at me, looked up, then looked at me and asked "Where did you come from?" I just pointed up.
Got fed, packed and had a beer and a few family pictures before being driven back to the airport."

Now THAT was a COOL story :)
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule

Juming a demo canopy at the WFFC while it was still in Qtown. Last out of a Casa and well, the airport was way out there. Dumped @ 4000k with no hopes of making it back. Landed in someone's back yard. The only open realestate in a sea of corn. Was picking up my canopy when 'dad' comes walking out the back door with tongs and a meat tray to check the burgers on the grill. First he looked at me, looked up, then looked at me and asked "Where did you come from?" I just pointed up.
Got fed, packed and had a beer and a few family pictures before being driven back to the airport.

haha, thats awesome.

.-.

Second of two back-to-back loads. Winds increased between loads (without us noticing). Opened. Turned into wind and still going backwards. Back over the runway. Back over the trees. Back out into the lake. Put on life jacket. Mild panic sets in. At 1000 start to get penetration. Over the lake. Over the beach. Between the trees and the toilet block. Nice stand up landing in picnic area. Wave to nice folks in passing van. Everyone on the load made it to dry land although there was at least one beach landing.

Was at another DZ when the whole load landed way out. One dude noticed his mates house. He landed on the road outside and went inside to say hello and grab a beverage.

The only thing worse than a cold toilet seat is a warm toilet seat.

Went up on a load once and while climbing to altitude the wind picked up unbeknownst to us. Opened up on the wrong side of the wind over the intende landing area. No major panic, I look around the sky and see that my other 3 jumpers are in similar situations at the other cardinal points. keep pointing into wind get blown back over the hangars, over the road.. and finally over the golf course (where I decided I would land once realizing that I wasn't getting any penetration), where I landed.

The Golf course was deserted as this was to be the last load of the day so there wasn't much daylight left.

suddenly a man and his wife appear from the bush on the one side. The man is carrying a beer. He walks up to me and says

"when I used to go ballooning, whereever we landed we would crack a bottle of champagne.. I couldn't find any champagne at home so this will have to do"

as he uncapped it and handed it to me.

What good neighbours we have..

lol
S.E.X. party #2

..It is far worse to live with fear, than to die confronting it.

8 way tracking dive I think... we got out in the wrong place, tracked the wrong way... basically did everything possible to screw it up :$... oops... there was a bit of haze about and on opening all you could see were the other canopies doing slow spirals going "bloody hell.... where's ther dz???" The answer? About 5 miles thataway! :D talk about a bad spot ;) Landed by the main road and just kinda hung around looking embarrased.... D'oh...

Certainly not my most interesting out landing!But whilst jumping in spain on the realisation o an imminent off landing i picked a large brown field i.e. no crops.However it had been ploughed and was more like landing into a field of boulders/rocks due to the sun baked earth.Not good,but managed to land[though almost a face plant]without incident:o

Fav[most exciting] off landing was a the espace boogie this year 6k from the dz,followed the load organiser down and given the choice of woodland,large sloped fields[side of steep valley] he decided to land in a paddock[small field]on the ridge of the valley pursued by yours truly.Both swooped in to land.[i'm shitting it!there are no outs,we've got forest to my right ,power lines to my left,farm buildings ahead basically every concievable hazzard] the organiser turns to me and says'i lovvvvve radical landings' me now observing a low cheese cutter wire fence 20ft infront of me[could even see the fence in the air]says cheers for that!!

Theres a moral here somewhere..don't follow organisers,they maybe more experienced[my thinking at the time]but they may also be insane:oan accuracy foil may have helped here also!!!!!!
.CHOP WOOD COLLECT WATER.

My first night jump, 3 weeks ago. Was cloudy so I never did see the airport but I did see the highway which was an okay spot. The winds had picked up bigtime which we didn´t know. My sense of direction failed me utterly so in freefall I spent all my time belly down staring around, under canopy I flew into the wind in half brakes, looking around. No idea where exactly the airport was, never mind the lit T. Too bad, I ended up too much downwind that way (east), and also to the north or the airfield (I found that out later). At 2000 ft I was over a lot of buildings, wow, get outtof here! At 1000 ft I was hanging above a very nice large field near a road. Too bad, the wind blew me backwards over it. Option 2 was a veryveryvery big field on the other side of the road/trees/ditch. I landed as close to the trees as possible, there´d be no barbed wire there. Indeed, when I walked across the very big field I had to climb some barbed wire.... While walking I phoned the DZ to let them know I was alive and well, just very lost. Then another veryvery big field, a road to a distant farm and the other way I say cars driving by. So went that way. Passed a castle (CASTLE?? Never saw one around here!) and walked some more, looking like a christmas tree with all the breaklights, flashlight and blinking lights. I really had no clue where I was, not even on which side of the airport... I was picked up eventually by a nice guy in a car, still having no idea of my location. It was a loooong ways off, to the one side of the airport I seldom (never) see.

Turned out 4 out of 10 jumpers made it to the landing field, I was the furthest away....

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Real Far out at Hartwood,Va.Pilot must have given us a five mile jump run.RW practice jump for competition,so were goin.Damn,I spotted us out of the plane way too early.Yelling"NO,NO,NO.Everybody else hears "GO,GO,GO!oh well,landed next to this ditch on a curve in the road.As I stood back up this motorcycle goes screaming by!If I'd landed on the road,this guy would have killed us both!

First jump on a Batwing 116 in 1997. Rigger checked the main hook up and gave me the ok. LUCKILY, WE OPEN WAY OFF THE AIRPORT!

What I didn't notice with my low experience was my french link broke open and was holding my lines on by the threads, and the riser with the screw portion (i'll post a pic later if interested).

Because I was off airport i didn't screw around just flew strait to a field and landed. Imagine spiraling down and fuckin around, and at 500' the link releasing!!! Yowsers!

Landed in a dry spot out in the swamp. Two guys in a pickup were nearby and we got a ride back to the dz with them.

They claimed to be hunting, but their story didn't make sense. However, when you are 3 miles out in a swamp and two guys with guns tell you a story, it seems a lot more believable. I think they had an agricultural enterprise going. We were happy to be leaving.

Whats the strangest out landing youve had?

Clewiston, Florida, about 1987 or so. Landed way out in pasture land. A large, deep, water-filled ditch was between me and the DZ, and since there were lots of water moccasins and alligators around, I chose not to wade/swim across it. I headed for the nearest road, about a mile away.

While walking along, the next thing I know a yellow Piper Cub is landing next to me in the field, bounces along for a while, and pulls up next to me. The pilot hollers out; "Hey, you need a lift?" And I respond, "Uh, yes, of course."

I climb in back and notice a rifle on the floor, but don't say anything. He guns the engine, and we're off! He flys me back to the airport and lands, and I climb out to the stares of my amazed friends, jaws agape. It's the first and only time I've ever taken off in one plane, and returned in another.

And if that wasn't odd enough. A week later I'm watching the news on TV, and I see film footage of an alligator poacher in a Piper Cub fleeing from law officials who are in hot pursuit in a helicopter. I put two and two together, and realize it is the same guy that gave me the lift out of the field!

He had been using his Cub to land in remote places, shoot alligators, and transport them home for processing.

They took his guns. They took his plane. And he served jail time.

Jumped when the landing area was cover with a layer of clouds at about 4K. We figured out that with the GPS we could not be that far off! Anyways, the jump is uneventful (6 way speed star) until break off at 5000. I decide to break through the clouds before pitching. I was really in for a surprise when I came out of the clouds! All I could see was vineyard for days!!!! I pitched at 3500 right out of the clouds.
After opening i looked down and could not recognize anything whatsoever. All I could see was vineyards all around me and some tall hills on the left!
After quickly assessing the situation I decided that I could probably make it on top of the hill... I could have gone for a road down between the vinyards next to a pond but decided that it was much safer to go for the hills... I remember thinking " Fuck I better go for the hills and I'll walk down the 2 miles...
I really don't want to end up with a grape stake up my ass if I miss the narrow road"!
So I land on top of boon dog hill in the middle of bumfuck nowhere just to realize that I must have landed on some state land or something. The whole area was fenced with a 12 feet tall barbe wire fence,
Lucky I was able to find a spot on the ground where my skinny ass could probably fit under the fencing.
Since it had been raining most of the day the whole area was muddy has heck! I am sure you get the picture! On my way down the hill I came accross a skunk 3 feet from me!! I don't know who was the most scared but I really didn't feel like getting sprayed...:D So I gently backed away and kept on walking.
After a good walk I finally found two other jumpers I had jumped with and we started the long walk toward civilization. We finally got to a road where we got pick up by some farm workers and they droped us off at a gaz station where we called the dz and someone pick us up!

"We see the world just the way we are...

My first night jump, 3 weeks ago. Was cloudy so I never did see the airport but I did see the highway which was an okay spot. The winds had picked up bigtime which we didn´t know. My sense of direction failed me utterly so in freefall I spent all my time belly down staring around, under canopy I flew into the wind in half brakes, looking around. No idea where exactly the airport was, never mind the lit T. Too bad, I ended up too much downwind that way (east), and also to the north or the airfield (I found that out later). At 2000 ft I was over a lot of buildings, wow, get outtof here! At 1000 ft I was hanging above a very nice large field near a road. Too bad, the wind blew me backwards over it. Option 2 was a veryveryvery big field on the other side of the road/trees/ditch. I landed as close to the trees as possible, there´d be no barbed wire there. Indeed, when I walked across the very big field I had to climb some barbed wire.... While walking I phoned the DZ to let them know I was alive and well, just very lost. Then another veryvery big field, a road to a distant farm and the other way I say cars driving by. So went that way. Passed a castle (CASTLE?? Never saw one around here!) and walked some more, looking like a christmas tree with all the breaklights, flashlight and blinking lights. I really had no clue where I was, not even on which side of the airport... I was picked up eventually by a nice guy in a car, still having no idea of my location. It was a loooong ways off, to the one side of the airport I seldom (never) see.

Turned out 4 out of 10 jumpers made it to the landing field, I was the furthest away....

I was one of the six :) very interesting outlanding indeed.. but the jump was great

my 100th jump...

last load of the weekend, me an my friend on a 2-way with a video guy too, the rest of the load (13 I think) on a bigway...

so, as they try to do for the last load of the weekend, sunset load and all, we got some extra altitude (15000, I think), but this meant it was really a sunset jump (at exit)

the bigway takes way long to climb out and leave, so when the video guy dumped at 5000 or so, I had a look around as I tracked and I thought:
'why does the ground looks so unfamiliar?'

opened as soon as I had good seperation turned into the video guy's direction and realised I'm not making it back....

I should've just fought the temptation to try and make it to one of the fields adjacent to the LZ (I've landed off in a few of them :$) , but I didn't and when I realised they were out of reach too, I ended up putting it down in a the biggest open field around, which happened to be a 'big cat sanctuary'...

so there I was, landed next to an open topped wire enclosure used to house such friendly cats as Lions and Tigers....

it was dark and there were plenty of fences between me and the DZ...

so I quickly packed (no way am I dragging my open canopy across some ugly fences and hedges if I can help it) and headed over to the trailer with lights on nearby.

the people where really friendly, their kid was like: 'daddy, he landed right here!'
but they pointed me towards the road and wished me well...

walked about a kilometre to the nearest pub, strolled in with my rig and jumpsuit over the shoulder, ordered a Coke and phoned the DZ to have someone pick me up...

it's pitch black outside by now and I'm getting some funny looks, but the jump went great and I'm unbelievably happy to be sitting in a pub in England waiting for my ride, thinking back to the first day I went to the DZ and got the area briefing....

'and over here is the big cat sanctuary, these four square things are wire fence enclosures with Lions in them...'

immediatly I could see the headlines in The Sun : 'South African eaten by Lion in England after bizarre parachute incident'

I was happy no-one got to see that headline!

soon to be gone

So I land on top of boon dog hill in the middle of bumfuck nowhere just to realize that I must have landed on some state land or something. The whole area was fenced with a 12 feet tall barbe wire fence, ...

Yeah, if we land a few miles East of the student LZ, there's a hill of state land with 12 feet tall evil fencing, too. It's a prison. And one of the student jumpsuits is solid bright orange - try getting a ride back to the DZ wearing that! :D

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

I had a fun one not too long ago. It was basically my first demo jump. It was the first full altitude load of the day, and we got a lot more freefall drift than expected. I opened downwind of the airport and was making very little forward progress over the ground. I wasn't far from the DZ, but I was right over a construction site full of big mounds of dirt, trucks, and trailers. I assumed the wind would die down a little as I got lower and thought I might make it to the landing area, but at 1000 feet I decided I wouldn't take the chance. I saw a narrow cut-down corn field behind me, so I did a couple 180s to put myself on final.

I could see a bunch of people at the far end of the field, but I had no idea what was going on. When I was down to about 200 feet, I realized the entire crowd was running straight toward me. Luckily I landed before they reached me. Turned out to be about 30 kids, and for a few minutes, I was there hero. It was so much fun. I showed them my parachute and how to open it and all that.

A woman came over and offered me a ride back to the airport. As we walked to her car, I asked what everyone was doing there. "Tractor races" she answered. I wasn't sure what she meant until we reached the parking lot and I saw the beginning of a race. Lawnmower racing. I couldn't believe it. That was about the funniest thing I've seen since I moved to CT. :)
Dave

yeah man, no shit, there I was, jumping at Headcorn Parachute Club....

but I have since moved continents and even though winter here is gonna be hella cold, in summer there's quite a few turbines close enough, I personally love the KingAir.....

what happened to your 'Trig does not...' signature?

or did you miss skidrow too much and go back?
:P

soon to be gone

landed in a tree (consolidation jump no 3) far out, was not so funny, climbed down and landed in a creek, water up to the hips. went back to the dz, completely wet. later did next consolidation jump and that was ok.

but will never forget the noise when i hit the tree. this bastard of a tree did not move a millimeter, but in my head and my body a big bell was banging for hours!

dudeist skydiver # 3105