freefall80

Traveling with allot of gear..? HELP!!!

Firstly I know that various threads of rufly the same topic are about as ive been reading allot of them... but I need some more accurate advice:

I will be flying from the US to Australia soon and ive got my sport rig, base rig, video helmit, normal helmit, camera equipment, laptop and all the other little things we need for jumping.

I already have a suit case full of clothes and bits, and was wondering what the best way may be to travel with all my other stuff??

I was looking at getting a pelican case 1660 to fit in my 2 rigs + helmits which would make things easy but it would be over the weight limit of the airlines. So I guess I could check my base rig and camera equip in another suit case and carry on my sport rig + laptop... but then where can my helmits go??

I know other people whould have had this problem before so any advice would be apreciated.

Thanks very much. Tom.

How about fed-ex them to where you will be staying? It makes the trip through the terminal better;)

you don't FedEx much, do you?:D He works at a DZ, not on Wall Street.

Tom,
you'll be MUCH better off paying the extra baggage fee (I assume you're flying Quantas) or shipping the stuff by slo moving methods.

I use the pelican case 1660. You also need to check with the airlines. I fly Southwest quite a bit and with two rigs, helmet, jumpsuit, etc. finally got it to 98 lbs which SW charges an extra $50.00. Then one day I show up at United, 1) They don't take anything over 70 lbs (so the in-airport shifting of gear began - one rig as carry-on and the laptop case) which got it under the 70 pounds), 2) then the wench comes over with a soft tape meausre and starts meausuring the damn case and tells me it's over the maximum allowable for cubic inches?!?!?!? OK. Now what? Well, it's going to cost you $100.00 for the extra weight (but its 70 pounds!!! You told me 70!!!!), Yes 70 is the maximum weight whcih is $100.00 and for being oversize is another $50.00!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:(

Same airlines that is now blocking all seat assignments on the Internet EXCEPT the upgrade to Business Class.

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Fed Ex or slow mail...

Airlines absolutely SUCK for traveling with equipment now... a few trips ago they made me check a 3k$ tool kit that somehow 'vanished' under all our tighter security....>:(

United off my airlines list

totally agree.. I had some United bitch try to tell me that renaming the emergency exit to 'expanded leg room seating' and trying to charge 50$ more to sit there when checking in wasnt blatant price gouging >:(>:(>:(

fuck United.. I'll use soon or eat all my FF miles.. they wont be getting any of my travel ever again.

Just as an aside, if you tell the airline (or even can provide a faked card) that you're a member of the media (who would dispute a camera helmet) then the charges are rarely more than 100.00.
I travel to Oz reasonably often, carrying 3 Pelican cases plus suitcases for a combined weight of around 300 lbs. The media charge on Quantas is 75.00. Delta charges me nothing for media weight below 100 lbs per piece They will not take a box weighing more than 100lbs. This varies from airline to airline.

Remember 2 carry ons are allowed:
Get a day bag (with rollers), pack your base rig and laptop into this and any extra camera that will fit. I recommend getting a Samsonite hardcase.
Carry your second rig on your back. Pack helmets and clothes in large suitcase. Most airlines will also allow two check ins so two large bags will allow you to distribute the weight. Happy journeys!! Be safe
Greg

last time i flew, i had my skydiving rig, base rig, cam helmet, laptop, and a bunch of clothes. wore the skydiving rig and with one carry one(i think around 36"Lx24"Wx12"H). also they charged 50 for each bag over 50lbs(checked bags), so i had to do some suit case shuffling to get them to equal to 48 lbs a piece

-thomas