Philly215

How to go about learning to pack at the local DZ before actually...

It depends on the DZ. There are packing classes, or you can ask a packer to help you. I've shown some people how to do it (I'm a packer), but I would recommend someone with certification to teach you.

Like anything else, packing is easy, once you get the hang of it. Learn on an easy to pack canopy. I learned on a brand new canopy and I packed myself two malfunctions. Not fun.

Practice practice practice too. I remember packing a chute, undoing it and packing it again. And again and again.
http://3ringnecklace.com/

Show up, hang around, watch and listen...ask questions then ask someone to teach you to pack. There has ALWAYS been someone at my dz all too willing to help me learn. It was a slow process but now I pack for myself and now can help others learn to pack. Good luck! :)

Old age ain't no place for sissies!

Show up, hang around, watch and listen...ask questions then ask someone to teach you to pack. There has ALWAYS been someone at my dz all too willing to help me learn. It was a slow process but now I pack for myself and now can help others learn to pack. Good luck! :)

\

lol the lady who works there said no point until about the 6th or 7th jump in the aff

Contrary to popular student belief, marginal weather days are actually good days to go out and hang at the DZ. Optimistic jumpers still come out hoping for a break, don't want to sacrifice to the beer gods right away, and are typically fawking bored.

You can usually find someone with the heart of a teacher that will show you the basics.