jellob

how many failed AFF jumps?

how many failed AFF jumps?

[:/]

It's like screaming into the wind.

Sigh. OK. When I was a student I had to go back up and repeat lots of skills before I'd mastered them enough to be cleared for the next skill level. Not a single one of those jumps was a failure.

I repeated level 4 and nearly had to repeat my H&P... went unstable.. waited to get stable. [:/] pulled... JM was placing bets on a cypress fire..

Skydiving isnt easy (no matter how much DZO's try/wish to sell it to everyone) it is an unnatural environment and an act that defies basic instincts. Expecting to perform 'perfectly' is unrealistic.

Thanks everyone for making me feel better! I have the pleasure of repeating AFF 3 (lost my heading completely and when I found a new one and stablized I had to pull).

I do not expect perfection and I know however many repeats I have will make those skills that much better, it is just frustrating because I want it so badly.

Attempt 2 - Wednesday...

I dont know if this couldve been a factor in your failed attempt but I know that the reason I failed my lvl 3 was because I wasnt focused enough. I was having fun goofing around in the plane and it cost me. My most fun plane ride was my worst jump.

Id recommend going over the skydive in your head numerous times and try not to pay too much attention to anything/one else (except your instructor of course). My problem was my AA so on the plane ride up, I practiced a lot by looking at my alti every 5-10 seconds. It really helped too.

Dont forget to relax too.

Best of luck, I know you'll do fine. ;)
Poetry don't work on whores.

Don't look at it as a failure. It is an opportunity to learn more and be a better skydiver because really it is. You would not want an instructor to pass you to the next level if you haven't accomplished the basic skills would you? If they did, then worse could happen down the road. It is for your best interest. In fact, I would be excited to master a skill than to be passed on when I wasn't ready. Make sense? I hope so. Hang in there. I am sure you are doing great.

Just a general question on how many jumps, if any, people failed during the AFF process?

Well, I won't say how many I actually failed ... but it took me a total of 44 jumps (some AFF, some S/L and some tandem) to get signed off student status. :)

Let's just say I was having waaaayyyyy to much fun in my student progression. I didn't want to see it end. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

It's not a failure, just deferred success.

I repeated 1 level.

I deferred level 4 a couple of times, but made up for it later on by combings some. Hence no extra jumps.

Hang in there.B|
I have never developed indigestion from eating my words.
Winston Churchill

Failed level 1, 5 times, level 3, 3 times, level 5, 4 times>:(>:(.

Blimey,,, your surname isn't Lutz is it?

Nono. Lutz's jump was a real failure. He messed up spectacularly and almost got himself killed, and he didn't learn anything from it, neither about skydiving nor about life. Lutz didn't try again.

Yes, I repeated a couple of AFF levels myself, but that doesn't mean that I'm a great skydiver or a bad skydiver or anything like that, it just means I failed a couple of AFF levels.
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

it just means I failed took more than one jump to learn the skills of a couple of AFF levels.

Fixed it.

Not directed to you, but to everyone:

Whether S/L or AFF, on each new level the student is performing certain skills for the very first time. On S/L, each level, by design, is jumped 2 or 3 times -once to experience it for the 1st time, then 2 or 3 more times to reinforce and master it before moving to the next level. Yet in AFF, if you take more than 1 jump to learn the skill set of a given level - which I think is perfectly reasonable - it's labeled a "failure". That's just bullshit.