jellob

how many failed AFF jumps?

I didn't fail any, but I'm only a "good" skydiver, not a "great" one. I know some "great" skydivers who failed a level or two. Therefore, it probably doesn't mean a hill of beans how many jumps it takes to get off student status. It is what you do with those basic skills afterwards that will mean the most in the long run. Good luck as you work to become great. :)

steveOrino

Hi:
I’m a student too, and after I failed my AFF4 three times(!) I was asking everyone that question, and most importantly was questioning whether it’s for me or not. I came across people that tanked AFFs one by one and were able to do standup landing by jump #4, and I’ve spoken to those whom it took over 15 jumps. I think it’s different for everyone….

On that day when I failed 3 times in a row I overheard my instructor talk to someone else… He told his buddy that he actually had to tell one of his students that “maybe skydiving is not for you”… Haha, no he wasn’t talking about me, and I became to realize that if you have “no talent” for this sport, you will hear from your instructors about it. I’ve also seen people filling out their log books… And they have what 500, 1000, 3000 jumps?! I think by the time I’ll be logging my 500th jump it’s really not going to matter how many AFFs it took me to get there. Most importantly, it makes me a safer and better skydiver, and if it takes more jumps then so be it!!

It’s more fun and rewarding than anything I’ve ever done up to this point in my life! Everyone has been really supportive, and I think it’s important to believe in yourself, and of course, listen to your instructors. The best jumps I’ve had were the ones that I was able to concentrate on and actually visualize on my way up. If I got too nervous or too cocky it was a repeat.. I guess, it’s not that much different than relationships, it takes as many as it takes. But it sure does make you appreciate it more when you have to “work for it”. So, now at 11 jumps, still level 7, and can’t wait to get my guys at case of beer!!

Good luck!! I hope that one day we’ll get to share A license congrads
;)

HA!,

Failed level 1, 5 times, level 3, 3 times, level 5, 4 times>:(>:(.

I really like the way Monkycndo stated "its not a failure, its deferred success";) .

Right now , I am taking some time off to get in shape financially and physically and everybody better watch out, because I WILL BE BACK:o.

Stay with it, after all, "its deferred success":)

I just met a lady who started jumping at our DZ who has 50+ jumps and is still on student status. She just got off of AFF training. I did some two coaching jumps with her last weekend and she is doing great.

I don't know what her issues were but she is a fine example of what determination and desire can do for a person if they really want to do this sport. For what its worth she does not need the tug/tub speech although she obviously had some difficulties with the learning process.
Think of how stupid the average person is and realize that statistically half of them are stupider than that.

I had to repeat level 9. ;)

you fucked up your HnP:ph34r::ph34r:

I didnht repeat any but I think i probably should have also repeated stage 9 (we actually DO have 9 stages in our AFF)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I did just fine on levels 1, 2 and 3. I did 15 minutes in a tunnel before level 4 and did really good on 4 and 5. All of my air skills were great for a student due to the tunnel time, I think. On level 6, I was a little shakey on the track but did pass. Level 7, my track had a turn and I had to repeat that level 3 times before I finally figured out what was causing the turn in my track. Found that if I did the toe tap, this got my legs both at the same level and I finally tracked straight.:)Too bad there is no way to practice tracking in a tunnel...:(

"I'm not lost. I don't know where I'm going, but there's no sense in being late."
Mathew Quigley

I had to repeat level 9. ;)

you fucked up your HnP:ph34r::ph34r:

I didnht repeat any but I think i probably should have also repeated stage 9 (we actually DO have 9 stages in our AFF)

here the HnP is called lv8, but not part of the AFF. that jump almost got me killed.. i've ended up pulling on my back! when i've seen the PC tangling between my legs, i knew there was something really wrong here.. :o
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

For what its worth she does not need the tug/tub speech although she obviously had some difficulties with the learning process.

There are some at the dz where I jump that have asked or wondered why I have not been given that speech.

In response to them I would say that their opinion does not count because the ONLY opinions that do matter are that of the dzo and the instructor, so as long as these two individuals do not give up on me then I will not give up on myself.

Repeat Level 1

Did everything right, except on my practice grabs, I wasn't actually touching the hackey. When it came pull time, I reached back and grabbed a handful of bridle...not good.

I'm not sure if I would have pulled or not...but I failed because the instructor pulled for me at my pull altitude because he didn't feel confident I would have pulled I guess.

ANyways, don't get discouraged...it's worth every repeat...
"When once you have tasted flight..."

I did not fail any of my AFF jumps. It always felt easier to control myself while in the air than when in the water...And I grew up on the coast spending most of my days (during the summer) in the water. B| Maybe being part "fish" helped to know how my body position effected my freefall:S

I repeated 3 levels. Level 2, 4 and 6. All for just to work on small details. I had a short lived issue with turning and on one jump I didn't feel that I was going to be successful and just decided to take the next 10 seconds and enjoy the view. :P

Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan