WooHoo

Mini Flag Jump

My friend has his company logo on a larger size flag 6' x 3'.

He asked if I could get a photo of it whilst I was in freefall, I said sure can't imagine it will be a problem. Having thought about it I am a low jump number kinda guy at the moment, and think for me to be in the air hanging on to a flag is beyond my skill and experience level.

I thought it may be worth asking some experienced jumpers to hang onto the flag for me and I will try to get in the picture. or maybe I hang on to one end and let go well before break-off.

Also on such a jump would the flag be jettisoned to fall to the ground, or would the experienced jumper hang onto it in extended left hand then deploy. It seems a bit risky to still have it attached methinks!

Any advice would be welcome.

"The older I get the better I was"!!!

Aside from any safety concerns, you'll want to have at least a C licence before a CCI is gonna let you (BPA Ops manual requirement).

Beyond that, no I wouldn't want it attached to me; I've seen flags with loop handles at each lower corner work well, (though personally I'd want a monkey's fist rather than a loop to reduce the risk of entanglement). The handles are going to want to be STURDY. You might find any text on the flag is unreadable - it'll tend to bow in the middle and flap a lot causing blur and wrinkles.

The jumper will want to be pretty competent on their belly as they'll tend to backslide badly if they don't compensate. Holding onto the flag with one hand during deployment shouldn't normally cause too much of an issue but anything you take on a jump has the potential to cause a malfunction.

I would talk to experienced jumpers at your DZ and get some on-site practical advice. Someone should have a bit of experience in doing silly things and will be able to help you.

The other option would be simply to tow it under canopy on a short line – talk to local demo jumpers and again I suggest you'll need a C licence to do this.

I don't know how you fly with 140 jumps, but jumping with a flag of that type in freefall is really not that hard to do.

For deployment, we bunched/wadded up the flag and held it in the left hand.

You can always let the flag go before deployment. The price of the flag isn't much compared to some alternatives.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Note - many flags will disintegrate rapidly at terminal. Make sure the flag you have is sufficiently strong to withstand that much wind.

Sewing binding tape along the edges will help keep a banner from tearing apart in free-fall, loops can be fashioned on both sides of the bottom edge as hand holds...or you can use the PVC method that John described.

Be safe! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

If you can, scan the company label and print it on sticker paper. Stick it to the front of your helmet and have a great fun jump in front of a videographer. To non-skydivers, the effect is large and they love the pictures. It also saves you from filming flags blowing so hard that they can't be read or worse yet, the flag taking you for a ride away from the camera. Depending on your experience level, flags can even cause entaglements or the loss of altitude awareness. Be careful, when all goes well, flag jumps are really cool.

...Sewing binding tape along the edges will help keep a banner from tearing apart in free-fall, loops can be fashioned on both sides of the bottom edge as hand holds

We used to loop idea (you can see them in the pic).

We didn't use the binding tape and, as suspected, the upper end of the flags shredded.
:D:D

Just FYI...the flag jump pictured was in honor of one of the Russian (Ukranian) ladies achieving her American citizenship.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

If its a "company" I smell sponsorship fees.

You could charge him 3 x jump tickets. 2 for people holding the flag and 1 for the dude taking the photos.

I mean who'd pass the opportunity for a free jump.

------
Two of the three voices in my head agree with you. It might actually be unanimous but voice three only speaks Welsh.