highwinder

Give up or holiday jumper?

With the shocking UK summer we've had i'm starting to consider not renewing BPA membership next year and limiting my jumping to 2 or 3 weeks of holidays per year. Either that or jacking it all in. Would the uncurrency between the holidays worry any of you? Would it be safer to just quit?

I have around 200 jumps.

Depends what job you have. I have a job where I can choose what days to work (its all a day rate pay) so if its sunny on a Monday grab the hiking gear and head for the dales.

If I was limited to Sat and Sun activities I would be less impressed.

------
Two of the three voices in my head agree with you. It might actually be unanimous but voice three only speaks Welsh.

Hi

You registered on here in 2005, assuming this was when you started skydiving, your doing about 100 jumps per year. In the UK the average jump cost is £20, your spending £2000 per annum (+kit costs) on jumping. Why does the BPA membership (£150) worry you? Its a relatively small percentage.

If you were to jump on holiday only...what third party insurance will you buy? How much will it cost? I am sure it will be comparable as BPA membership which will give you the flexibility to jump in the UK if you wish.

Should you give it up? What do you want me to say? If you want. Yeah stop jumping. Put your rig in a cupboard, don't go to a dz for a month. I don't know about you but Id go stir crazy......

Good luck with your decision.;)

With love in Christ

The insurance coverage would be a major consideration for me.

Does BPA offer "temporary" memberships that include coverage? Maybe it would be cheaper to let the 150 pound renewal to lapse and only get temporary coverage when you want to jump.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

The insurance / money side isn't the main consideration here, i take out insurance whenever i am skydiving abroad. I have tried to be a UK weekend jumper, but its just not for me.

I was more concerned about how safe it is to go uncurrent for months, then blast out 50 jumps in a week, then go uncurrent again, etc! Do many people jump this way?

I don`t know what license you have, but if you have a A or B license you have nothing to worry about. It should be doable to make 20 jump in 12 months...even i can do that, and i don`t even have a rig..:$
But if you don`t like it anymore why not quit, it`s nothing wrong with that..

Hi,

I'm in the same position. Just got into a career where I'm working 3 weekends in 5 and thats just not going to change. I love jumping abroad, as someone stated, so much less bullshit. Its just fun. I will be going to Empuriabrava again in September.

I wondered if it'd be worth quitting as my progress has been so slow but then thought, nah sod it. I've invested a lot of money in equipment and when I'm jumping I really enjoy it.

I'll probably continue to do the bulk of my jumping abroad though and just stay current at home and do some fun jumps with friends.

You'll probably find there will be a 'hardcore' (hardcore tossers) at home who will tell you your not a skydiver if your not at teh DZ come rain or shine spending most your money at the DZ bar because the weathers shite but thats bollocks.

KEEP JUMPING but do it where you don't feel like you've been anally violated for the privelage