p1mdg

First tandem this weekend

Hey everyone,

I'm a newbie and have got my first tandem this weekend. I'm in the UK and I'm jumping for charity. At first I just thought this should be exciting, but the more and more I have looked into it the more excited I get. I am so pumped about doing it, I just want to go now.

I'm worried that I might like it too much, and have to book an aff course.... oh well.

Anyways Just thought I'd drop in and say hi!

BTW; awesome community spirit guys

Cheers
Mart
"When I left school I couldn't even spell skydiver. Now I are one!"

Yea will do,

Will try and post a link to the video aswell. The video is costing me 90GBP which is about ($180) which I think is abit steep but it's a memento of the occasion, so it should be good, it better be for that price!

Mart

Hi Mart,

Where are you doing your tandem? Weston or Hinton I'm guessing ;)

If you think you might book an AFF course, glean as much information out of your tandem instructor as you can, especially canopy control as it will pay dividends when you are under canopy on your own.

£90 is pretty reasonable for a video. Don't forget, that includes the plane ride for the cameraman, years and years of building up the experience to be able to capture the moment, the thousands of pounds of equipment on their head, not to mention the time and effort editing it afterwards and sending it out.

Have fun.

Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Yea will do,

Will try and post a link to the video aswell. The video is costing me 90GBP which is about ($180) which I think is abit steep but it's a memento of the occasion, so it should be good, it better be for that price!

Mart

Wow! That is steep compared to USA prices. Our videos run $79 or $99 with stills.

steveOrino

Yea will do,

Mart

Wow! That is steep compared to USA prices. Our videos run $79 or $99 with stills.

So is petrol (gas), so are jump tickets in the UK. The average price of a tandem in the UK is well in excess of $400, so the price of the video is market rate. No need to have that conversation again.

Hi Mart,

Where are you doing your tandem? Weston or Hinton I'm guessing ;)

£90 is pretty reasonable for a video. Don't forget, that includes the plane ride for the cameraman, years and years of building up the experience to be able to capture the moment, the thousands of pounds of equipment on their head, not to mention the time and effort editing it afterwards and sending it out.

Have fun.

I'm doing it at weston. I live in Bicester, so weston is like 5 minutes away. Apparently one of the best DZ's in the country so I'm told? And as for the Video price you're right, there are alot of considerations to take into account. I don't mind how much it costs 'cos its something I can keep.

My girlfriend is also doing a tandem on the same day, but she is very nervous and panicky about it. I just can't seem to get across my enthusiasm. I'm just hoping that if she sees me go first then it'll give her the courage to jump too! I just think she is thinking too much about it. Then I guess it doesn't help when I keep going on and on about it and how pumped i am.... lol,

Wish me luck!

Mart

I'm doing it at weston. I live in Bicester, so weston is like 5 minutes away.

Then you are in for a treat this weekend as Weston have an unusual tailgate aircraft called a Skyvan so you'll exit from the back rather than the more usual side exit. In fact, it is probably going to be this aircraft

Apparently one of the best DZ's in the country so I'm told?

We all say that! ;) But seriously, it is a very good DZ.

And as for the Video price you're right, there are alot of considerations to take into account. I don't mind how much it costs 'cos its something I can keep.

Exactly. It always sounds like a hard sell when I recommend people to have video but I have no financial motivation in doing so. It's a pretty overwhelming experience. The 45 seconds you spend in freefall will seem like 5 so it is invaluable to help you relive it.

My girlfriend is also doing a tandem on the same day, but she is very nervous and panicky about it. I just can't seem to get across my enthusiasm. I'm just hoping that if she sees me go first then it'll give her the courage to jump too! I just think she is thinking too much about it. Then I guess it doesn't help when I keep going on and on about it and how pumped i am.... lol,

Knowledge dispels fear. What are you girlfriends worries? Talk to the instructors and they will attempt to allay most of them.

Wish me luck!

You don't need luck!

You are going to love it! The first tandem I did instantly hooked me into this sport. I spent the next year and a half dreaming of taking AFF and once I had the money saved I did it. This might be the beginning of a whole new life for you!

Mart - Have a blast on your jump... afterwards you'll never look at a blue sky the same way again.

Doug

. . . or at an airplane. I can't look up at one without wondering what its altitude is, and I can't ride in one without thinking about getting out.
TPM Sister #102

HAHA! I'm flying to Vegas in a week, and it is going to be my first trip in a plane since I got certified and I can't stop thinking about how hard it is going to be to ride in the plane and not be able to jump! I better get an aisle seat or it will be torture!

As promised I said I would let you know how it all went. I started another thread. So here's a link.
There are some pics on their too...

AFF here I come!

Cheers
Guys

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2929038#2929038