Philly215

Skydiving in the winter?

lets all just pull up the skirt a little and step up to the plate.

Nicely said, Todd.

Of course, you primadonas have a warm area to pack and wait in :P. Rather than a metal, uninsulated hanger with a weak space heater in the corner 80 feet away. That's what we had in college in the winter.

Winter jumping is fun. Keep the skin covered, the goggles/shields fogproofed, and the fingers and toes warm. Simple enough.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Winter often works out better than spring if you are on a grass strip runway. Can't use it soggy.

I made quite a few snowy jumps before I moved to where the snow isn't. The real question for me is:

Which gloves?

You need your hands to skydive. If your gloves are too thin, the fingers can lose feeling and strength in that 120 mph windchill. Too thick, and you lose dexterity. Pulling a little higher is certainly my recommendation, but has anyone found a pair of really warm, really thin gloves?

"really warm, really thin gloves"

Sierus? I think is the brand. Seirus?
They are amost a rubber type. Can be TOO hot.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I wear NorthFace WindStopper gloves. I bought a pair of liners (the Michael Jackson look alike gloves) for when it got really cold, but never ended up using them.

A couple of people at my dz got some like Bill described and they worked too.

Another thing that helps is the "Winter Grip Rule" at our dz. I didn't ever think to not take grips but Mary says "In winter, if you're in your slot and within grip distance, the point counts".

[

Winter jumping is fun. Keep the skin covered, the goggles/shields fogproofed, and the fingers and toes warm. Simple enough.

Absolutely. Jumping is jumping, a little cold air never hurt anybody much. We aren't up in the nasty cold air all that long anyway. I jumped in Colorado every month last winter except January. Went to Eloy in January and jumped in the FREEZING RAIN....:P

Just burning a hole in the sky.....

Of course, you primadonas have a warm area to pack and wait in :P. Rather than a metal, uninsulated hanger with a weak space heater in the corner 80 feet away. That's what we had in college in the winter.

And that isn't even necessary if you pick the right days. I do at least one naked jump EVERY month, even in the winter ......... in Wisconsin.
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

I could've sworn you guys jump year round, but now that I think about it I've never noticed seeing jumpers around the winter over here.

Is it just cooincidence? Skydiving is year round, right?

I've jumped the Ranch in January, February, March... Cold as hell, but just wear gloves, and you're fine. And Under Armour. And perhaps a couple pairs of socks.

But it's fun! And you've never smelled as fresh air as you do when you're open at 4k on a 20 degree day.

It's funny but I have skier friends that are amazed that we jump in the winter. I explain that we're out in the cold 4-5 minutes, and then back inside, 3-4 times in a day. Then I point out they spend hours out skiing in the same kind of weather. :D It's all in how you dress for it. B|

Here in Illinois its year round jumping too.. also the visual's are awesome in the winter time. and if the wind is not bad, its like flying in clean air, smooth, non-turbulent, an absolute blast!!
winter jumps ftw.