pre7117

HOW MANY JUMPS?

it's pretty interesting, i didn't think of my self as not being a "noob", or felt like i knew what i was doing, until i had 2000 jumps, and by that time i was already on the PST and had been competing for 2 years prior. i still think of my self as an intermediate compared to the others out there
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

No problem witthe guys I jump with, it just my comfort level when I go to a boogie. I get asked how many jumps and they look at me funny when I tell them and they say no I cant jump with them.:(

Wow... that sucks... I do generally ask how many jumps people have but I'll still jump with them... I just do it so I know where I should put them in any particular dive... (assuming I'm organizing... which is not that often... :P)

of course I generally fly outside of formations... :$:) and most people are happy to have me along... B|
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

John, I think you got it right. The way it looks, all depends on how many jumps the person that I ask has. You would think, once a person gets a "D" they would be considered an intermediate jumper and should have the experience.
HELLFISH 429
POPS 11113

there's no such thing as a fully trained skydiver...

i feel like a noob (i really hate that word...) when i jump with people who i consider to be good, and i dont when i jump with those just off student status. ive also jumped with people with over a hundred more jumps than me and felt eminently superior and yet ive been humbled by those with half my jumps. its all subjective and relative, and it doesnt compromise my adherence to the rules and consciousness of safety. all in all, with just over a hundred jumps im basically still a student...

The reference of newbie just means (to me) that I can be taught something. I kind of like it. I am truely a newbie and probrably will be for the rest of my skydiving days and that is OK with me. Even the guys and girls up at West Point (I have only done one jump there) made me feel welcome!

Jump number are important for experience and all that good stuff but everyone deserves a chance to prove themselves, specially in a boogie. I think the key is to keep groups small and the jumps not too crazy and everyone will feel welcomed and learn from more experienced jumpers and have fun while you do it.
It is sad when a skydiver flat out says "no, you can't jump with me because you don't know what you are doing"
~Freedom is never free

People stopped thinking of me as a newbie when I came back to my home DZ when the season started with my own matching black-and white gear and jump clothes. I had about 64 jumps at the time.

So it has more to do with time and gear than number of jumps.
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

No problem witthe guys I jump with, it just my comfort level when I go to a boogie. I get asked how many jumps and they look at me funny when I tell them and they say no I cant jump with them.:(

How about some context. Are you asking them to jump with you on their 100 way, or is it so bad that they won't even turn some four way points with you? :ph34r:
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Don't sweat the small stuff as long as you can find someone else to jump with screw the skysnob:D There's fun jumping and then there's serious crap (8 different pt four way competition stuff)

Back in the day we asked the LO to get on their load.:)

We jumped with a dude that had 75 jumps :) the LO told the guy to "stay close". Turned out the dude was a tunnel instructor in florida with many hr's of tunnel time. His team placed first in the national 4 way intermediate class later that yr.

Number of jumps are a rough guide but there's lots of other factors that enter into having the right stuff. Type of jumps, currency, quality of jumps etc.

Don't worry be happy:)