northcave

Packing

During my AFF on some rainy days i was taught to pack. Also go the whole thing on video to reference from. Anyway i have recently got my A and have slowly been putting together rig which is now complete.

So i have packed it loads of times from start to finish and taken the whole thing apart so know the rig off by herart. I feel totally confident about jumping it. Do i still need to take a packing course or can someone just check I can do it properly and sign me off?

Any advice would be good especially from anyone based in the UK.

I went about it the same way as you did. I didnt take a course through the school. My JM said theres no point in taking one since Ive been jumping my own packjobs for a while. So I was told to come in and pack while they supervise so they can sign off on my card.
Poetry don't work on whores.

eh, No you don't need a packing course if you know how to pack. You will sit a packing test where they will do all sorts of nasty things to it :Dyou then untangle it they will then watch you pack it. If you pass you then get a packing certificate which i was told you even need to pack your own gear :|send it off after getting your tester/instructor to sign it send it off. you can download it F111 from here every time you pack a different canopy /container you Get it signed off. Its a good thing to have in my opinion:)

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

i've packed my own rig on my very first jump.. things work differently in switzerland. heck, if it wasnt for a boogie or some teams, i wouldnt even know what a packer or a packjob is. its kinda requirement for our license which doesnt know A's, B's or whatever. there's only THE license..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Seeing a good friend jump the very first 7-cell I'd ever packed was much worse (than just jumping my very first packjob myself)

Edited for clarity -or so i hope :P.

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Jumping my first packjob was one of my most nervous jumps.

Seeing a good friend jump the very first 7-cell I'd ever packed was much worse

Hearing about a friend whos friends second cousins girlfriends ex-mother in law was even worse than that! :S

dont think you need it signed off to pack for yourself, its only when you pack for others or kit belonging to clubs that you need a packing certificate

Are you sure that is correct? I mean any newbie can rock along with a new rig and jump it without anyone even watching to see who packed it?

Not saying this does happen but it could.

I would say go for a packing course anyway. Maybe you don't need it but maybe your instructor will point out something subtle that will avoid causing a hard opening or cut-away. I had a bit of a hard opening the other day (didn't keep the nose tight enough when I packed it) and it's not exactly something I'd wish on anyone.

-Michael

i say screw it. if someone that knows how to packs watches you and says you did it right andi t is NOT required to have your license. i HAD to take one before i got my A license but that consisted of me watching one and doing one at the same time. that was it. i then proceeded to pack my own from then on. First one had a pretty mean twist but that was probably my body position
Live Love Learn FLY