elias123

canopy size and jumps

In essence, I believe I have found a canopy selection that delivers balance between fun and safety and I will probably stay there, maybe even upsize in the future but I do not anticipate ever downsizing further.

Altough I have no/not much experience to fall back on yet, I feel exactly the same way. Right now, I have the feeling that I don't ever want to downsize any further and I am sure that my mindset will not change for a long time. But who knows, maby when I get 15 years in the sport and am very current I might start to think otherwise.

Blues
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane"

Hi guys:
This doesn’t relate to this thread 100%, however, I’ve been down for almost a month now because of my poor piloting/flair skills, so I’ve been researching and reading and reading some more…

Attached is a paper titled “The Aerodynamics and Piloting of High Peformance Ram-Air Parachutes” by Jerry Sobieski. It’s not what I call light reading, but it contains some very enlightening insights and helped me to truly comprehend many issues that go into piloting a canopy from “scientific” and practical view (I am embarrassed to admit many aspects of which were taught to me by my instructors, but just didn’t click 100%)…

Anyway, maybe someone else could find it useful. It was published in ’94, however, many fundamental concepts are there.
:D

EDIT: sorry, pdf was too large to upload, but here's a link to it http://www.afn.org/skydive/sta/highperf.pdf

Here are the canopies I've jumped most of the time. I demoed and borrowed a lot of other canopies too.

jumps 0-19: 265 student rigs (0.6 wingloading)
20-250: Falcon 215 (1.05)
251-499: Sabre 2 170 (1.45)
500-750: Crossfire 2 149 (1.65)
751-now: Katana 135 (1.9+)

jump #327: PD Reserve 160 (1.5)

23 Tandems: 360s, 380s (wingloading ever changing, from about 1.05 to 1.25)

Most of my 90 BASE jumps are on an Ace 280 (.85)

First canopy at about 40 jumps: Pursuit 215, about .8 to 1
Canopy at 200 jumps: PD190, about 1:1
Canopy today: Crossfire-2 109 loaded about 1.9 to 1

canopy at 69 jumps saffire 1 164.5 (precision made offsizing wierdness)
canopy at 261 jumps sabre 2 170
canopy at 450 jumps sabre2 150
canopy at 500 jumps crossfire2 129
canopy at 750 jumps crossfire2 119
canopy at 829 crossfire 2 109/FX 99
canopy at current Velocity 103

demo'd in between
samurai 120
katana 120
katana 107
Neos 104 one jump wasnt into it then but am going to give it another shot eventually

Dave

Cheers

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.