elias123

canopy size and jumps

Hi there,

So I was wondering: What's your wingloading, what type, brand and size of canopy do you jump and how many jumps do you have (in total)? I'm mainly interested in the responses from newer jumpers, but of course, feel free to post everyone. Personally I just bought a slightly elliptical electra 150 and I currently have 60 jumps. My wingloading is 1.17 lbs/ft².

Thanks.
Eli
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane"

I think more importantly what you are looking for, is wing loading.. so what canopy size, jump numbers, and what the wing loading is..

169 safire2
302 jumps

my wingloading is 1.12

but don't judge what you should be on by what others are on. it is what is best for YOU, and what is safest for YOU that is important.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

ok, so, when you calculate your wingloading, do you include the total weight of your rig on top of your body weight or don't you?
I initially wanted to buy a 170 and said to myself that I would never go smaller than a 150. Small canopy's just scare me. I only want safe and straight landings. Altough it looks cool, I'm absolutely not into swooping at all and I hope I never will be actually. Altough I wanted a 170, 150 would be the smallest I would go. I saw a good deal for a complete system with a 150 in it so I didn't hesitate to long.

Hi there,

So I was wondering: What's your wingloading, what type, brand and size of canopy do you jump and how many jumps do you have (in total)? I'm mainly interested in the responses from newer jumpers, but of course, feel free to post everyone. Personally I just bought a slightly elliptical electra 150 and I currently have 60 jumps. My wingloading is 1.17 lbs/ft².

Thanks.
Eli

That wingloading may be just a tad higher than I'd want to see someone with your experience jumping, much less even an elliptical. Just be really careful... ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Well Yeah, that was what I was thinking too, but quite a few people at the DZ (definately trustworthy people) told me that me jumping this canopy wouldn't be much of a problem and that I shouldn't pass this deal. The guy who sold me the rig is also a very experienced jumper (4500+ jumps and roams here also) and said that the electra is a good canopy for those who are not concerned with speed and are more interested in good landings and a forgiving canopy with a good flight path, excellent landing flare characteristics and soft touch downs, wich is exactly what I'm looking for. Nontheless I will of course be extra attentive and carefull on landings. I'm even a bit scared to jump it actually, but that will pass once I get more jumps in on this canopy. In any case, thanks for you concern ;)

Eli

Hi there,

Thanks.
Eli

60 jumps. and i fly a sabre 170 loaded at about 1.3. perfect for me. its safe/forgiving with the right amount of performance that i want.:)
Step into my (sub)terminal Playground

I have 55 jumps and have gone from a PD Nav 260 to a Spectre 230 to a Nav 220 from student training until now.

I'm getting a Pilot 210 with a PD Reserve 218. I think WL the Pilot at like 1.3 or 1.35.

Keep in mind that I weigh about 265-270 with gear on out the door. ;)

Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

ok, so, when you calculate your wingloading, do you include the total weight of your rig on top of your body weight or don't you?

Yes, you do.

I weigh 220 lbs. out of the door, and I am currently jumping a Navigator 240 (rental)

ETA oh yeah, I got 76 jumps so far.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

I'm getting a Pilot 210 with a PD Reserve 218. I think WL the Pilot at like 1.3 or 1.35.

Keep in mind that I weigh about 265-270 with gear on out the door. Wink

You might want to rethink your reserve choice, you're over TSO limits on that canopy! You'd have to go all the way up to the PD281R (TSO'd to 300lbs) to be legal on a PD reserve. The Smart 220 is TSO'd to 264lbs, and would get you close, or the Smart 250 would be better, since it's TSO'd to 300lbs. There are probably others (Precision RMax, Icarus, etc) that I'm not as familiar with that have higher limits also...

I can relate, I constantly struggle to keep my weight at a level that keeps me 'legal'!

That's also a pretty unforgiving wingloading on the main, but that's a whole 'nuther discussion! :P

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

I have 55 jumps and have gone from a PD Nav 260 to a Spectre 230 to a Nav 220 from student training until now.

You should have a bigger canopy until you get over 100 jumps.

You should have a bigger canopy until you get over 100 jumps.

I know that, but flying a 260 for me keeps me in the air for so long. I've had dozens of talks with my instructors as well at my dz and ever my S&TA in Michgan and in Colorado and they said my progression isn't normal but for my limits is ok. I've been flying on the 260 for a year and a half and then I took the 230 for another year and a half. I just made my first jump on the 220 recently, but thats only because a 230 wasn't available.

I dont really have much of a choice when i rent student gear, but thanks for the suggestion. I'll see what i can do.
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

Student canopies: Nav 260 for 1 through 8.
Nav 240 for 9 through 17
Sabre 1 190 18 through 26
Got my own Spectre 190 now loaded at 1to1 with PD193R in a Mirage G3 with a Vigil.

Did a cross country Saturday and was back over the DZ at 3k ft.
Major fun on that jump!!!
"I'm not lost. I don't know where I'm going, but there's no sense in being late."
Mathew Quigley