loli-75

Please push tandem student, literally?

Well in my experience, the second one was worse. Much worse. Because you know what's coming. Not because what's coming is so scary, more because it's unfamiliar.

And don't worry about your friends not supporting you. If you want to do a tandem, then do a tandem.
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

My problem is that a lot of people who know me are trying to discourage me from doing it. They're saying I'm too much of a wuss and I'll back out and end up riding the plane back down and pissing the tandem instructor off and throwing my money away.

Fuck 'em.
It's better to try and fail; than to not try and succeed.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I found the jumps got harder.

You expose yourself more, know what to expect more and the luxury thinking of the "what are the chances on my first time?" disappear with the continued exposure.

That was for me anyway.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

We do a surprisingly good business on Fathers Day especially when a father tells the family "I'll jump any time . When he sees his gift certificate he cant back down now.. The rest of the family brags I'll go too. I had a 230 lbs football hero say to me" My 105 lbs little sister jumped I have to now. Even if I grab hold of the bar bang on my fingers anything so I jump OK. No way in hell would she let me forget if she went and I did'nt." He jumped no problems and was so proud of the whole family. You still have the final say so at the door though I have had only one in 2500 that I have done.Relax and enjoy

I wasn't sure about what DZ to go to at first, but after the responses I've gotten, it's definitely going to be Skydive Spaceland!!:)
I was laughing my ass off about the "holy shit face". I can already guarantee that I'll be wearing that one for at least a few hours before and after I jump. They totally need to add the holy shit face to the little faces you can put in messages here. (emoticons?)

Since the first exit is so scary, does that mean it's a million times easier the second time? Or is that still scary as hell too?

i never did a tandem.. i went straight for aff. on first jump, i froze so much, i couldnt think about backing out. on jump nr. two, i thought, oh shit, is that really for me, do I REALLY WANT TO DO THIS!? well, i'm on jump nr. 28 now, and i love it!!! B|
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I wasn't sure about what DZ to go to at first, but after the responses I've gotten, it's definitely going to be Skydive Spaceland!!:)
I was laughing my ass off about the "holy shit face". I can already guarantee that I'll be wearing that one for at least a few hours before and after I jump. They totally need to add the holy shit face to the little faces you can put in messages here. (emoticons?)

Since the first exit is so scary, does that mean it's a million times easier the second time? Or is that still scary as hell too?

i never did a tandem.. i went straight for aff. on first jump, i froze so much, i couldnt think about backing out. on jump nr. two, i thought, oh shit, is that really for me, do I REALLY WANT TO DO THIS!? well, i'm on jump nr. 28 now, and i love it!!! B|

That was how it was on my previous to second tandem (#1). My brother was the influencing factor of my decision (+ he paid for it :D). I didnt for one second want to let him down and he's 2 years younger than me. Now I'm working on AFF. You will either love it or hate it, but I reccomend trying it at least once or you might kick yourself because you'll never know. As far as your friends discouraging you from jumping, I wouldnt pay too much attention to that. I'm in the military and I had to get a *hazard activity form* filled out and sighned by everyone in my chain of command all the way up to my commander and they all tried to sway me from doing it. Chin up and have fun. Its a life altering experiance.

Mike
Muff #5048

When I did my first tandem I was SCARED OUT OF MY MIND! I made the TM repeat and repeat and repeat what I was suppose to do! Then when we got to the door, which we were the first out, I forgot everything he said because I was literally hanging out of the plane and SCARED OUT OF MY MIND! So, believe me you'll be scared! And then, you'll watch your DVD over and over and over again and skydiving will be the only thing you think about. Then, before you know it, you'll sign up for AFF because you want to become a skydiver! You'll see!
"It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities." - A. Dumbledore

WHOA!!!! Wait a minute!!! You mean I have to try to remember to do stuff BESIDES not puking or peeing, on myself and/or tandem instructor??!!!;)

To all of yall who didn't do a tandem for your first jump- I can NOT even imagine how brave you would have to be to do that. I CAN imagine that I would have to be in a really big plane though - cause they would need a bulldozer in it it to push my ass out!!!:P

Holy crap!! You mean it's even more scary the second time??!! I can't imagine being more scared than I am now!!!

Too bad you can't do AFF with a tandem instructor strapped to your back!;) Isn't AFF where you have two instructors on your sides holding onto the grips on your suit? I think I've seen video of it. It made me REALLY nervous. Isn't it easy for their hands to slip off? Instead of just holding on, couldn't they use some handcuffs or something??! A shoe lace?A twisty-tie at least?:P

At the time, I was told (over & over & over) to cross my arms over my chest, look up (or something like that) and bend my knees! All of which I forgot because I was so SCARED OUT OF MY MIND! But I love my DVD and now I have my B license! :)
"It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities." - A. Dumbledore

Oh my Lord!!!! You're supposed to look UP? I guess that's a good idea. I'm sure it has more to do with your body position than for your psychological state -but it probably would help with my terror too. But I'm thinking my eyes are going to refuse to be peeled away from the ground thousands of feet below![:/]

Oh my Lord!!!! You're supposed to look UP? I guess that's a good idea. I'm sure it has more to do with your body position than for your psychological state -but it probably would help with my terror too. But I'm thinking my eyes are going to refuse to be peeled away from the ground thousands of feet below![:/]

Your first tandem is just a ride (no maneuvering involved except arching at least here anyway). And on AFF, at least with me, the instructor hangs on to your leg loop so he/she can pull for you if you brain lock. I would actually not look at it as "Oh my Lord!!!", but more as a "this is gonna be great" outlook. Keep us posted, and good luck. ;)
Muff #5048

To all of yall who didn't do a tandem for your first jump- I can NOT even imagine how brave you would have to be to do that.

Don't be too impressed. I only wanted to do one jump. But the only thing I found more scary than jumping out of a plane was jumping out of a plane and not be in control (i.e. having the tandem master be in control). Therefore I chose a staticline jump (the only option for a first jump apart from tandem here) even though it meant I wouldn't get any freefall. So in my case.....not impressive at all ;)

Do it. It will be a blast.

As others said, you don't have to worry about pushing yourself out. I don't remember how I even left the plane on my first tandem. The instructor will get you out.

I did have to do certain things on my first - body position and arching, altitude checks and pulling my own parachute.
This scared the hell out of me, becuase I had planed on getting so scared and passing out and having the instructor save my life.
I did forget everything for the second I was staring out the airplane, but a second after freefall started, I started calming down and remembered everything...and it was amaaazing....and it was supposed to be a one time thing, and here I sit on a skydiving forum counting down the days til my next jump.

So, again, do it! Even if you hate it (you won't), you'll feel so great about overcoming such a great fear.

LMAO!! Ear plugs is a good idea! I guess that way they can avoid any verbal abuse, loud, gut-wrenching sobs (probably going to me), and/or begging for them not to jump that a tandem could throw their way.

I could see some people getting pretty verbally abusive. On the other hand, it seems pretty stupid to say ANYTHING negative at all to someone who you're jumping out a plane with and the ONLY one with a parachute.

I guarantee you that many, many first time tandems have gone through exactly the same thought process. I remember when I did my first tandem, the videographer asked me (when we landed), "So, how was that first step?" And my response was "There wasn't really time to think about it!". I was a nervous wreck waiting for my jump, and in the plane I kept asking myself what the h*** am I doing here? Then the door openend and we're moving towards the door, then we're in the door...and then, of course, we're out the door... It's more that you are "jumped" the first time, and not that YOU are jumping.... PS And the minute I landed, I knew I had to do it again, and again, and again..... :)