sandyeggo

much better exit this time!

Thank you all for the well-wishes and encouragement from my last post. I made my 3rd jump today and didn't fall off the step..woohoo! I practiced on the ground, established a good technique, and once I got up there pretty much told myself to suck it up and get it done :) Now I need to work on my landing. I scared the crap out of the guy on the radio when I flared for landing way too early and almost ended up eating grass. I tumbled pretty hard and got a nasty bruise on my shin, but hey-lesson learned. So here's my next question: how can I improve my depth perception?

Sandra

how can I improve my depth perception?

Sandra

Just listen to your instructors and let them guide you.

Learning to land is difficult, your instructors guidance is your best bet to remain safe until you get it dialed in.
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

If you do end up flaring to high make sure you don't let up all the way on your toggles. That is bad. I did that once and will never do that again! The parachute dove straight into the ground. If you do end up flaring to high just bring them up a little and hold it there until you are at the right hight and then pull on them again. As for depth perception, how tall are you? I am 6' 4" ish so I just think when I am about twice my hight is when I start my flare. So far I have not fallen since my 3rd jump (so I have had 17 stand up landings in a row now). Try that out and talk to you instructor about it first and see how it works or what he thinks about it.

Josh
Q: Why would someone ever want to jump from a perfectly good airplane?

A: Why Not?

If you do end up flaring to high just bring them up a little and hold it there until you are at the right hight and then pull on them again.

I don't think I've seen any local experienced jumper raise his or her toggles after a poorly-timed flare; they just hold them at that level and give another push. If you are flying an F-111 canopy, you only really get one shot at a good flare.

Please forgive me if I've overstepped myself here - I mean no disrespect. I watched another student at my home DZ do a "double flare" on a 9-cell PD210, and he had a rather rag-doll landing (in a heap). He walked away unscathed, and we all had a little laugh, but if he'd done that a few feet higher, I'm fairly sure he would be in a cast right now.

Gato
T.I.N.S.

Hmm... I fly a a PD210 also and I have had a few flares that were to early so I raised the toggles up and then pulled them back down again and have never had a problem.

Josh

At 20 jumps i hardly think that you are experienced enough to say what YOU do with any authority.

When you raise your hand from a flare you run the risk of surging your canopy, this means you are not underneth it anymore.
That's a BAD thing.
Gato is right, unles you timed you flare soo poorly, that you have a lot of height to allow you canopy to go back to full drive. DONT raise your hands up,
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Hmm... I fly a a PD210 also and I have had a few flares that were to early so I raised the toggles up and then pulled them back down again and have never had a problem.

Josh

At 20 jumps i hardly think that you are experienced enough to say what YOU do with any authority.

When you raise your hand from a flare you run the risk of surging your canopy, this means you are not underneth it anymore.
That's a BAD thing.
Gato is right, unles you timed you flare soo poorly, that you have a lot of height to allow you canopy to go back to full drive. DONT raise your hands up,

I was not saying that what I do is right and what he said is wrong. I am saying that from my own experience if I flare to high up by a little I will bring my hands up a bit (NOT ALL THE WAY) maybe just to my chest and it will slowly (not surging) start to go down a little bit again with out surging into the ground. My instructor also taught me that. I did it once where I was about 15-20 feet up and flared (3rd jump) and I let the toggles all the way back up and it surged into the ground. My instructor told me if that happens again (flaring to high) to let up on the toggles a bit to gain some speed again but only bring them to about your chest level.

Like I said. I am not saying I am right and he is wrong. I know my place since I am still a beginner but I am just giving my 2 cents because it works for me. Thats all.

josh
Q: Why would someone ever want to jump from a perfectly good airplane?

A: Why Not?

I know my place since I am still a beginner but I am just giving my 2 cents because it works for me. Thats all.

Hope I didn't come off as an a**hole, Josh. I think it's cool that we can compare experiences here without bashing each other. Please know that the intention of my post was not to make you wrong, either.

I'm going to ask my instructors about all of this, and I suspect a few others will, as well. Another cool thing.

Cheers,

Gato the Noob
T.I.N.S.