hexadecimal

RE: Surviving the No Wind Landing

You know, that was exactly my reaction upon first seeing the article. I love it when there is no wind. You can get a nice little surf with no special inputs at all.

What next: The Dreaded Non-Tandem Jump

Or maybe: You Too Can Survive Your First Four-Way
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Reconsider skydiving or reconsider who you're getting your training/coaching from?

I view attitudes like that in the sport a symptom of a lack of proper training. Some canopy coaching as well as a possible reevaluation of canopy choice would be in order.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

One of the most dreaded conditions of all is the no wind scenario. This fear is so profound that many jumpers in fact avoid jumping in no wind conditions.

:S

If the quoted text describes you, it might be time to reconsider skydiving.

Or learn what to do and Brian is trying to educate through the article. I like no wind landings, but that doesn't mean everybody is going to. Just because it's our cup of tea doesn't mean it's the same for everyone.

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

SITTING NEXT TO THE DOOR: A SKYDIVERS WORST NIGHTMARE

What!? I think sitting next to the door is the BEST spot to sit.
I generally enjoy sitting next to the door... although I do need to be very consious of my camera helmet when I do... :o

I also don't mind no wind (or even down/cross wind landings)
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

>If the quoted text describes you, it might be time to reconsider skydiving.

Well, the same could be said if:

-you're afraid of pulling at 2000 feet
-you're afraid of intentional cutaways
-you want an AAD on your rig (since people who do that are afraid they won't pull)

I don't think such people should reconsider skydiving.

>If the quoted text describes you, it might be time to reconsider skydiving.

Well, the same could be said if:

-you're afraid of pulling at 2000 feet
-you're afraid of intentional cutaways
-you want an AAD on your rig (since people who do that are afraid they won't pull)

I don't think such people should reconsider skydiving.

I think the over-the-top choice of words "One of the most dreaded conditions of all . . . " deserves a bit of ridiclule. It is the kind of sensationalist hype we usually make fun of when it comes from the mainstream media.

I don't think no wind constitutes "One of the most dreaded conditions of all . . ." That reads like a headline from the National Enquirer or something from FOX.

Unbelievable, there I was, at 2000 feet, and no wind!!!!!!!!
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

I think the over-the-top choice of words "One of the most dreaded conditions of all . . . " deserves a bit of ridiclule. It is the kind of sensationalist hype we usually make fun of when it comes from the mainstream media.

I don't think no wind constitutes "One of the most dreaded conditions of all . . ." That reads like a headline from the National Enquirer or something from FOX.

Unbelievable, there I was, at 2000 feet, and no wind!!!!!!!!

Well Pirana let's not forget the source, which isn't the mainstream media. It's Germain. The guy travels and meets a ton of jumpers every year. He is far more qualified to say (based off of people in the skydiving community he has met) what some consider to be a "dreaded" fear, then people with limited experience like you and I.

Edited to change for grammar.

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

The guy travels and meets a ton of jumpers every year. He is far more qualified to say (based off of people in the skydiving community he has met) what some consider to be a "dreaded" fear. Then people with limited experience like you and I.

YEAH!

I actually met one person last weekend who was afraid to jump in no wind conditions. :S

One thing that I found interesting in the article was that he said the flare out to the side method was less effective than just flaring straight down, and flaring out was just for show. Is that true?

One thing that I found interesting in the article was that he said the flare out to the side method was less effective than just flaring straight down, and flaring out was just for show. Is that true?

I've often wondered why people do this, but I don't know if it's less effective or not. I'll have to thumb through my notes from one of Germain's canopy classes and see if he mentions it and why.

Simple geometry. If you're holding your arms out at an angle your lines are not running along the full length of your arms, which is the only way to get all the flare you can get. Try it in the air and it'll be obvious.
Owned by Remi #?

[

Simple geometry. If you're holding your arms out at an angle your lines are not running along the full length of your arms, which is the only way to get all the flare you can get. Try it in the air and it'll be obvious.

It is also physically easier to flare straight down, you're using more muscles.

John Wright

World's most beloved skydiver

I can admit that at one point of time (not long ago) I was one of those guys who would not jump in no wind conditions. I can relate very well to the article. I know of several jumpers who are very cautious about jumping in no wind conditions. I have improved my landing capabilities over time to adjust and even enjoy no wind days but the fear I once had of the speed on final is very much reflected in this article.

I actually met one person last weekend who was afraid to jump in no wind conditions.

There are a lot of new jumpers who are afraid of no wind landings. To think they should reconsider jumping is quite a stretch. Most 1st time jumpers are afraid to exit: should they stay on the ground? get real...
Remster

I actually met one person last weekend who was afraid to jump in no wind conditions.

There are a lot of new jumpers who are afraid of no wind landings. To think they should reconsider jumping is quite a stretch. Most 1st time jumpers are afraid to exit: should they stay on the ground? get real...

Of course not; and I readily acknowledge his expertise (did I even have to say that - I didn't grow up in a cultural vacuum you know). I'm just saying the headline is over the top. Could have been "Managing the Challenges of a No Wind Landing." Or, going the other way, to really get attention: "The Absolute Horrors of the No Wind Landing!"

>I don't think no wind constitutes "One of the most dreaded conditions of all . . ."

For some jumpers it really is. I know 3-4 jumpers who won't jump in no wind conditions, and who would rather land out than have to land in even a 1kt downwind (which is essentially no wind.) And these are people with fairly big canopies. Needless to say the issue is mostly in their minds (if they can land in a 1kt headwind they can land in a 1kt downwind) but it makes it no less scary to them. Experience and education is usually sufficient to get them out of this mindset.

For those who are perplexed by the fear of no-wind landings, let me try to put it in some context - since I was one of those scared of such landings not long ago. I am not claiming to be an expert but simply sharing some of the fears I had earlier. It boils down to the following

1. High speed on final approach - many newbies haven't learned to finish their flare, hence still retain a considerable amount of their forward speed creating a huge ground rush scenario
2. No wind days are sometimes the hottest days as well - creating thermals - resulting in a bumpy, high speed ride which isn't exactly appreciated by all skydivers
3. I still hadn't learned to butt slide, and even then didn't want to butt slide (blame an earlier botched tail bone for this). And no matter how much I PLFed, I was still being dragged by the canopy after touching down. I hated that
4. Some people have sensitive ankles, knees - you name it. And if they cant run it out or appropriately arrest their forward speed, it isn't going to be too pleasant.
5. As a newbie, I found myself overshooting my targeted spot - this could create an unpleasant scenario if you had a tight landing area to begin with - you could find yourself on the runway, near trees or corn. This goes away with experience but several newcomers are not yet skilled to adjust their patterns on the go according to wind conditions.

Hope the above makes some sense

Scariest part of no wind landings is the traffic pattern. There's always somebody thats going to land in the direction that the wind sock pole leans instead of the direction that everybody agreed on before boarding.

But there's definitely a major psychological factor in standing up no wind or slightly downwind landings. After jumping a PD150 all winter, going back to my Sabre2 135 on a no wind day early in the season felt unbelievably fast. Just have to keep flaring more and more and know that it's going to slow down... otherwise, ya just give up and flop. Then the next landing is even harder because your confidence is gone.

Dave