dluv16

Pilot Job?

Hello -

Does anyone have any information on starting jump pilot jobs? Any help would be appreciated. Things like how to start, where to go, who to call, and what is available would all help me. I currently have 300 hrs Comm Multi/Single - Land... CFI in less than a month.

Thanks

I'm no jump pilot or anything, but I would start going through the database here on DZ.com and just start calling DZs to find out what is required. I know some pilots do it for free just to build time for their future careers.

Good luck.

B
http://www.brandonandlaura.com

If I'm reading right, you do have your commercial. Good, that's required.

Drop zones will have minimum hours based on their insurance requirements. Make a resume and get it out to every drop zone you can and follow them up with phone calls and/or personal visits - be prepared to be very flexible if you really want a jump pilot job.

-Sandy

And for any of you pilots that are flying for free: STOP........

Your hard earned ratings require compensation.

Although it will not be much.....! But, the more pilots that fly for free, will ultimately reduce compensation for all.........

You wanna build flying hours for free, go fly banners....

Buck

Typical insurance requirements are about 500 hours minimum for a 182 with maybe 25 or so in type. To get into a twin turboprop its more like 1500 hours, possibly even 1500 of twin time. Best way to get in is to get the hours required (no exceptions because they're insurance requirements) and be at the dropzone. The best thing you can do is JUMP.

Dave

Congratulations on timing your job search to coincide with the season when most DZOs are hiring.

Sorry to say, but Pitt Meadows, Victoria and Dunnville have already hired all the pilots we will need for 2004. Try asking other DZs.

Start by posting your home address or home DZ on your profile, then we can recommend a DZ near you.

Secondly, read the Jump Pilot's Manual on the Australian Parachute Federation's website.

Help with clicky please?

Go do the first jump course at your local DZ. You will never understand a skydiving operation until you have climbed out that door a few times, sort of like hiring a city-slicker to dust crops.

Although it will not be much.....! But, the more pilots that fly for free, will ultimately reduce compensation for all.........

This is a market economy issue. If people want to give something away, or sell it for too little, that is their right, unless they are conducting anticompetitive business practices (and they are in an area where such practices are illegal).

If there are too many jump pilots who want to fly, and some of them are willing to take (or volunteer) a pay cut to get the job, there will be downward wage pressure from having "too much" supply. IMO, this is why teachers are underpaid right now - too many people willing to be teachers for too little pay.

The answer is either to find a way to need more jump pilots or reduce the number of jump pilots willing to fly for free / cheap. Options include using more small planes for jumping (which isn't usually a cost-effective decision for larger DZs), getting more skydiving going (woo!), or disincentivizing jump pilots from giving it away, e.g. by making their jobs so shitty they demand to be paid.

Personally, I support good pilots who work to be the best they can be and enjoy their jobs in flying for free or cheap. (I don't think free/cheap pilots are a substitute for talented, responsible, and trained pilots.) If someone competent flies jumpers for the challenge and the feeling of helping their friends, that suits me. And if they get the benefit of additional hours on someone else's maintenance money, that sounds like there's some value there.

BTW, in continuing the supply / demand theory, reduced pilot pay enables lower jump ticket prices, which lead to increased jumping (based on price elasticity of demand for jumps), which increases demand for pilots, which enables an increase in pilot compensation (as pilots flying 4 hours per day for free refuse to fly 8 hours per day for free, or a DZ with 5 free pilots needs 1 more and can't find one for free). Welcome to equilibrium - now open the door and let me jump.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

I'm no jump pilot or anything, but I would start going through the database here on DZ.com and just start calling DZs to find out what is required. I know some pilots do it for free just to build time for their future careers.

Good luck.

B

Fly for free. Just go ahead. Fly for free. Then I will hunt you down and will [said through clinched teeth]CUT YOU!!!

Have a nice day.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

Fly for free. Just go ahead. Fly for free. Then I will hunt you down and will [said through clinched teeth]CUT YOU!!!

Easy for you to say now that you have your ATP.
Were you born to a wealthy family or did you have to struggle for your hours? Do you think it's maybe tougher in today's environment?

We just found out one of our Cessna pilots would not be back. He is moving on and has a job flying Multi-IFR. He took a cut in pay,... from a drop zone,... he gets less than a drop zone Cessna pilot! Man, thats tough.
I think for you to extol the virtues of holding the line to a 300hr pilot is not realistic.

Most of the flying jobs I have gotten, whether it is the military, aerial photography, or flying jumpers, have been a right place/right time thing. However, "Chance favors the prepared!" You have made the effort to get your commercial, which is a great start. Get your instructor certificate and instruct - there are many instructor jobs out there, paying not much more than flying jumpers, but it is someone paying you to burn their gas and use their plane. Raw time counts, and you may get the opportunity to pass on your love of flying to a kindred soul.
From my experience and with all due respect, I have seen 6000 hour airline pilots struggle to fly jumpers. Most anyone with less than 500 hours will be on the back-side of the power curve for a while. The DZO who hires a low time pilot cheap or free will be getting what he pays for. He'd better work REAL hard and invest a lot of aircraft time in teaching the pilot all about slow flight, jumper emergencies, dead-stick landings, flying by the numbers, watching your CHT in the decent and not hot dogging things till you have a LOT of flights under your seatbelt. DZ's across the nation are littered with burned out engines, crumpled planes, and premature memorials because a low time pilot walked in and said "I can fly anything", and the DZO, to save a couple of bucks, believed him.
Flying jumpers is hard, demanding, precise flying, where you do a complete single pilot flight in half an hour. I saw a 750 hour MEI walk away from it after the first day, because he said it wasn't fun. It is not supposed to BE fun. You are flying someone else's expensive machine, holding the lives of your jumpers in your hands for the time it takes to get high enough to throw them out. Fun comes later, after you know what you are doing, after the jumpers have left the plane, after the beer light goes on.
All that being said, good luck! Keep up the search, AND the work hard to be the best pilot you can be. I was continually humbled by the thought that these people are trusting their lives to me.
Flying skydivers is some of the best flying there is. I hope I can get back to it. I hope you make it.
Blue Skies!
Fly Safe!
Hartwood Paracenter - The closest DZ to DC!

I guess I should address this message to the most high strung person I know (holy shit):

There was a guy at the DZ who said the only reason he flew the 182's at the DZ was to build time for his career. He was in the commercial program in Indy and needed to build time. He did so by flying many loads there.

You need to fuckin chill out, Chris. Just because you are an ATP and have been flying many hours for jumpers doesn't mean you have the last and final say in everything.

God damn.

:S

Good luck.

B

Have a nice day.

http://www.brandonandlaura.com

And for any of you pilots that are flying for free: STOP........

You wanna build flying hours for free, go fly banners....

Buck

We're not allowed to pay our pilots...
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

Flying jumpers is hard, demanding, precise flying, where you do a complete single pilot flight in half an hour.

Great post, Dan. It contributes a lot to this thread, which has become rather emotional in spots.

I remember riding in the Otter at Raeford on a load cancelled due to winds. A cell of heavy Summer storms was moving in out of nowhere with 40 MPH winds. Dan got the plane out of the sky fast and furiously and got it in the hangar before the rain came. It also got all of us undercover safely as well. At the time I remember thinking how glad I was that Dan was the man in that situation.

[bows deeply] Thanks [/bows deeply]
Arrive Safely

John

We're not allowed to pay our pilots...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

That still be the law for small clubs in Australia, but Transport Canada squashed that concept a long time ago.
Now TC wants all skydiving operations to follow the business model of Air Canada .... a major airline struggling to get out of bankruptsy. Go figure!
Heck! Even the Kamloops Parachute Club pays their pilot enough to cover baby-sitting.

Dan,
I take it you are addressing those remarks and best wishes to dluv16, not me. I am not a pilot.

I would not get into a plane with a pilot who has less then 2000 hours. The demands of flying jumpers is serious business,

Tim,
I seems apparent that you have always jumped at SDC or another large facility. The fellow looking to start his career is not going to be flying a twin otter or King Air; he wants to fly a Cessna 182. Now some DZs have pilots who fly many planes including a 182, but those places hire and pay based on the hardest aircraft in the fleet. There are still many DZs out there that only have a 182. Keeping in mind that there are a maximum of four paying passengers on board, how much money is there to pay the pilot? Not much.
Here in Pitt Meadows we hire a full time Cessna pilot for the summer. Usually that person is in the 300-400hr range. We have on one occasion had our pilot get her commercial license with 200hrs days before she started work. (For those of you who know her, Annie Lagieux recently was promoted to captain and is flying King Air for Ken Borak Air in the Canadian arctic.) They get paid about the same as a Starbucks employee on a salary and then are worked dawn to dusk. For that privilege there are hundreds of applications; there are exactly zero applications with 2000hrs on them. Why do they do it? Because we offer gold! 400 to 500 hrs of pilot in command time, and that more than anything else is what a junior pilot needs.
Pilots need a first job. Cessna jump pilots fly in exclusively VFR weather, in the daytime very close to a runway. This is as straightforward as a flying job gets.

Hello Andrew!
My apologies, yes I was addressing my remarks to dluv16, but thankyou for your insights into the subject too. You appear to be one of those (many) enlightened Skydivers who respect their pilots. It is not always so, and dealing with skygods is a part of the job at some DZ's.
To be fair, some pilots should not be flying skydivers either. It's all about mutual respect.
If a pilot can find a DZ to fly for for a summer, he/she will get a heck of a lot of good flying, filled with challenge, and demanding fast thinking. It may only be from Point A to Point A, but it is still a continual challenge, to fly that perfect jump run: Good takeoff, smooth efficient climb, nailing the spot, controlled, swift decent, greaser of a landing and shaving twenty seconds off of your last run.
And the beer is colder and more satisfying when a happy jumper buys one for the pilot.
I am sure that dluv has looked at the employment section here in the DROPZONE.COM classifieds. I see one or two interesting positions there, but he will have to relocate, and probably spend the summer living in a camper. I've done it. It was great. Other pilot-employment web sites are AVIANATION.COM AND CLIMBTO350.COM. They will occaisionally list jobs requiring low times, like traffic spotter, banner tow, or instructor. Like I said, right place, right time.

BTW, Thanks John for your kudos. I remember the day well. It is not every day that a Jump Pilot gets to show his landing skills to a group of jumpers from INSIDE the plane. Wish I could have shown them a REAL decent in an Otter, but of course we had to worry about the Cypresses, AND the Tandems, and ears of course...
Hartwood Paracenter - The closest DZ to DC!

Easy for you to say now that you have your ATP.
Were you born to a wealthy family or did you have to struggle for your hours? Do you think it's maybe tougher in today's environment?

We just found out one of our Cessna pilots would not be back. He is moving on and has a job flying Multi-IFR. He took a cut in pay,... from a drop zone,... he gets less than a drop zone Cessna pilot! Man, thats tough.
I think for you to extol the virtues of holding the line to a 300hr pilot is not realistic.

Dude, I've been homeless living in a tent (not a trailer) on the DZ packing parachutes for a living. I think I know what struggle is. And not ONCE did I fly for free. Tougher today? I came out of school in 1992. Eastern, Braniff, Pan Am had all gone under. How many airlines have folded recently? Please. I think I know a thing or two about this friggin industry. You don't know a thing about me though.

edited cuz I can't spall "two" correctly tonight.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

You know what? It's attitudes like yours that made it hard for me to get paid what I should be paid while flying jumpers. Suggesting to other pilots to fly for free just because others are doing it doesn't make it right. How much flying time do you have? You trying to make a career out of flying? No? Then maybe you should let those of us IN the industry make the call as to what proper compensation is.

And high strung? Man, maybe my post was a bit tongue in cheek and JUST A JOKE TOO. Yes, it's an over exaggerated reaction to the topic. Man, why don't YOU take the chill pill and get a sense of humor.

What is a good situation for one, is not always the same for another. I know pilots that would love FREE hours in their logbook, which can help them to build a career. I also know some engineers that would have loved FREE university tuition.

Nothing in this world is free. That plane is owned by someone who has paid good money for it (not the pilot). That gas is paid for by someone. The maintenance is paid for by someone. Those hours in the pilots logbook are paid for by someone. That leads me to believe that yes, even if you are flying for free, if you are doing it with the intention of using those hours on your resume (somewhat like the engineer and his G.P.A), you are being compensated for your time and effort.

If an experienced pilot doesn't like the amount of compensation for what they do then maybe they should do something else. Or... get more hours and get a better job. I happen to believe that the upper echelon (sp?) of pilots get paid MUCH MORE than enough for what they do. However, said pilot has no right whatsoever to blame a brand new pilot who flies for free to get hours, for his rate of compensation. If that were the case I think that I should get paid for skydiving NOW, because someday I might become a TI, or a video flyer. Damn those people who skydive for free because they can! Damn those people even more who pay to skydive! Damn those pilots who have to pay to rent planes because they can't get a job because they have no hours.

My two cents.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson