Blassiter

Used Rig Pricing?

hello I am new to the sport and have posted a few times on here before. From my previous post about buying a rig I got some very usefull information and have decided not to buy one for a while. My question though is when I do go to buy my first rig I was wondering what the average price for a full used rig is? Like I said its going to be a long time before I buy it but im just trying to get a little bit of info right now.

This has been done a few times (hint: search :P)

Look in the classifieds and define "average". Does average have an AAD, does average mean a complete rig. What size canopies etc.

I'd start off looking in the classifieds seeing what kit you want from searching to gear forums (cross check this with instructors at your dz to make sure your choices are good) then search the classifieds.

In simple a rig could be made a cheap or as expensive as you want - just depends how you want to play it.

$5000 for new and $2500 for used seem to be good finger in the wind markers.

------
Two of the three voices in my head agree with you. It might actually be unanimous but voice three only speaks Welsh.

Well... it all "depends".

Some of, but not all of, the driving factors will be:

How old is it?
How many jumps does it have on it?
Is it a complete rig (e.g. container, main, reserve, AAD) or just a subset of that?
Are their any outstanding service bulletins needed on it?
What part of the country are you in?

It could be an older rig, but still perfectly airworth, but but not the latest "style" with all the "gotta haves" that seem to come out every few years... see the great quote from NickDG in my sig line... this too will drive the price or, at least, what folks think it should cost.

Again, it all "depends".

Its difficult to give specifics on used gear prices until you start talking a specific used rig and what its story is.

I'm sure this topic has been discussed many times on DZ.com. Maybe you've done a search??

ok thanks, I have to wait a little bit before I can really talk to any instructors, Im not actually going till the end of october to start my training for my license. I'm in the navy and im reenlisting and my bonus is going to pay for everything but unfortunately I dont get it until the end of october.

How much difference does the total number of reserve rides make to the price do you reckon? I only ask as my rig has had three owners, and three reserve rides! (Tempo 170)

I'm happy because it obviously works (tested it ;) ), but if I was to sell it how much does it matter?

Well... a place to start is... how much did you pay for the whole rig? What did you get for that price? Container, Main, Reserve, AAD?

I'm certainly not an expert on this, just someone that's been around a bit... and I'm sure someone who's be around a bit longer will chime in... :P

Anyway, obvioulsy you're jumping your rig, so unless you're pencil packing your reserve, a rigger is looking at it every 120 days (or what ever the repack cycle is where you're at) for an I&R, so, they think its airworthy.

3 rides on that reserve... well, that's more then 1 or 2 or none, but less then a half dozen or more and I'm sure there are reserves out there with that many number of rides on them.

If presented with a Tempo 170 up for sale used... even with 3 rides on it... I'd think more about the fact that Tempo's have been out of production for ?? years now... and they went for something like $1000 US when they were new... so I'd be thinking several hundred now for that and, and a prospective buyer, might try to low ball you a bit with the "there's 3 jumps on it" factor. Anyway, all just speculation on my part. Maybe you can lurk the classifieds and see what used Tempos are going for and get a better idea.

For mains, an old-school rule of thumb used to be "a buck a jump" for used mains. So if a main cost $1200 new and has 600 and some jumps on it... do the math, but that formula sometimes does and sometimes doesn't hold up these days with ZP, $2000+ mains, re-lines, etc.

Don't know if any of that helps any... :S

Thats like asking how much a used car is on average....
It will vary greatly depending on the brands, ages, visible wear, sizes, etc

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

When you approach the bottom end of used cars, it is also important to ask how much gasoline is in the tank.
Tee!
Hee!

> How many repacks are they good for?

Depends on the canopy and the rigger. PD does it explicitly - 40 repacks or 25 deployment/repacks*. Most other reserves are repacked until they fail a pull or porosity test (or until they become too old to give the rigger a 'warm fuzzy' feeling about the design.) In many cases, reserves get retired before then because people want newer/lighter/lower bulk reserves, so it's often not an issue.

(* - PD has just started to get reserves back after the 40 repacks. Per Rusty at PIA, they have retired very few of them; most are going back out to the owners with a reduced lifetime.)

I am amazed, shocked, shocked that a guy/gal will spend $30K on a car but when stepping out of an airplane at 13K will opt for the most inexpensive crap he can find. Hell man, It's your life - go first class including a new Cypres II and RSL. Live to jump another day.
Freefall Hall

I am amazed, shocked, shocked that a guy/gal will spend $30K on a car but when stepping out of an airplane at 13K will opt for the most inexpensive crap he can find. Hell man, It's your life - go first class including a new Cypres II and RSL. Live to jump another day.

I buy used cars too. I fly in used airplanes, and I'll jump used gear. Mechanically sound is mechanically sound. It doesn't matter if it's been used some or not. In fact, I try to test jump my new reserves when I get them to make sure they are in trim and fly okay. Don't want any big surprises/disappointments when I'm down to my last parachute.

It's far safer for a new jumper to jump good used gear with the appropriate wing loading than brand new gear that is too small and too fast. Too many buy that first brand new rig based on what they'll be able to handle in 200-300 more jumps, not what they can handle right now. [:/]

There is 'good' used gear and there is 'bad used gear' would you buy good used gear for a few bucks more or would you buy 'bad used gear' and save a few bucks. Get with it.

seeing as how I am new to the sport, how would I be able to tell the difference between 'good' and 'bad' used gear?