PabloCruz2

Skydiving Fatality Statistics

Statistics get on my tits. They can say anything you want them to say.

"x amount of jumps were made in 2006 with x fatalities."

Says nothing. Sorry for rambling, statistics annoy me, now i'l sit back and wait for the driving is more dangerous argument.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

I know the statistics are out there

Actually, they are not out there. You may be able to find US stats, maybe Uk stats, but beyond that, it gets very difficult.

Use the search function on here, this has been asked so many times now....
Remster

I know the statistics are out there I just don't know where to look.

Respectfully... how can you possibly know that statistics exist if you don't know where they are?

Are you really saying that you hope statistics exist?
Owned by Remi #?

Just to expand on what i said.

There are some things you will never know as far as the statistics go. If 1 million jumps are made how many of those 1 milion where made by a small group of people who do this for a living? Where they on the fatality list or was it someone with 100 jumps who was uncurrent and had 5 years in the sport?

I am yet to see convincing statistics that take everything into account, we all take differant levels of risk and there are differant factors all the time.

I hope you dont mislead your readers.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

And now, after being given shit for 4 or 5 posts, here's a useful answer:

go to http://www.uspa.org/about/page2/relative_safety.htm

it's not detailed but it's a start. If you scour the net enough you might be able to find total number of US jumps for years other than 2005. If you contact USPA directly, they may be happy to help. All above are quite right that looking for worldwide numbers is a futile task, although some other countries may have records if you ask.

To all who would give this guy shit: yes, statistics can be (and regularly are) misinterpereted, deliberately skewed, and made to "prove" opposing points. However, they are compiled for a reason, and people should be pointed in the right direction so they can learn and form their own opinions. New jumpers/students/media types being told to fuck off when they ask for reasonable information hardley gives the sport a good image.
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

My interest in statistics is merely to help educate people in my own little part of the world as to how safe skydiving actually is. I realize that I am merely a rookie with 45 jumps (and sinceI can't stand skydivers who act like they are something akin to skygods just because they have multiple 100's or multiple 1000's of jumps under their belt). The last thing that I would want people to think of me online or in person is that I am cocky or that I know it all. I have worked VERY hard to be a good student in skydiving and I am passionate about it. I have been blessed with (I believe) excellent instruction at my first DZ in Oklahoma and my current one in Missouri. I want to learn from anyone with more experience than me. But if people are going to be annoyed or ugly about questions I have about the sport then there is NOTHING I can learn from them. Fortuneately in my 7 years of skydiving I have had the awesome opportunity of meeting and being trained by some incredible skydivers and I am thrilled to be a part of this sport. I apologize for rambling. I mean no offense. This must have struck a nerve. I merely speak my convictions.

Thank you. I appreciate your help.

------------------------------------------------------------

And now, after being given shit for 4 or 5 posts, here's a useful answer:

go to http://www.uspa.org/about/page2/relative_safety.htm

it's not detailed but it's a start. If you scour the net enough you might be able to find total number of US jumps for years other than 2005. If you contact USPA directly, they may be happy to help. All above are quite right that looking for worldwide numbers is a futile task, although some other countries may have records if you ask.

To all who would give this guy shit: yes, statistics can be (and regularly are) misinterpereted, deliberately skewed, and made to "prove" opposing points. However, they are compiled for a reason, and people should be pointed in the right direction so they can learn and form their own opinions. New jumpers/students/media types being told to fuck off when they ask for reasonable information hardley gives the sport a good image.

Your question as to whether I "hope" statistics exist insinuates that I might revel or glory in the death of others. If I am misreading you forgive me, but that is the way it comes across. I am mere trying to educate people in my life as to the safety of skydiving. I grow tired (as I am sure you have) of the age old question of "Why would you jump out of a perfectly good airplane?". My goal is to try and get those people to go with me and take a First Jump course and jump so they can see for themselves!!

I know the statistics are out there I just don't know where to look.

Respectfully... how can you possibly know that statistics exist if you don't know where they are?

Are you really saying that you hope statistics exist?

My interest in statistics is merely to help educate people in my own little part of the world as to how safe skydiving actually is.

I dont think andy was trying to attack YOU.
We see it here all the time some douche bag college professor has his student do a report to prove how safe the sport is.

There is NO statistic that will prevent or invoke your death. Like smokey the bear says: "only you can prevent forrest fires."

Then, as ANdy says, someone tries to compare it to somethig else but NOBODY EVER seems to get the stats correct.

Were, these jumps made by old people who died of natural causes while tracking off a big way?
Or was there some moronic-LUTZ who got through the system?

Maybe it was a suicide? Maybe Some who were pushing the envelope of the sport? Maybe someone who was doing their first 360 hook turn after visiting a big dropzone and thought they could do it?
Maybe someone will try to land a wingsuit someday. If they do I Wish them to survive but There has to be a pioneer who is willing to risk it all.

How do THOSE factors weigh in to the statistics?
The answer is the only thing they have in common is the rig they wear.

If EVERYONE of those people did EXACTLY the same type of jump at exactly the same location and weather conditions I would say they deserve the public outrage that many seem to have about skydiving.

(here it is Andy, but in a different light)
If there were 2 motorcycle accidents, one in Pa and one in Ca both riders died but one was a drunk driver and one was rear ended and killed while he waited at a red light. Are they comparable? or is the only commonality the bike that they rode?

Its seems Futile to try to educate people who don't want to listen. They already have the prejudices and locked the mond shut.

BY ALL MEANS, reseach the info for your own purposes and make your sense of it but if they aren't actively asking just let them live on their couches and tell them that some imaginery old man that lives in the clouds said you'll be safe until he wants:ph34r::ph34r::P to give you an invitation home.
My photos

My Videos

My interest in statistics is merely to help educate people in my own little part of the world as to how safe skydiving actually is. I realize that I am merely a rookie with 45 jumps (and since I can't stand skydivers who act like they are something akin to skygods just because they have multiple 100's or multiple 1000's of jumps under their belt). The last thing that I would want people to think of me online or in person is that I am cocky or that I know it all. I have worked VERY hard to be a good student in skydiving and I am passionate about it. I have been blessed with (I believe) excellent instruction at my first DZ in Oklahoma and my current one in Missouri. I want to learn from anyone with more experience than me. But if people are going to be annoyed or ugly about questions I have about the sport then there is NOTHING I can learn from them. Fortuneately in my 7 years of skydiving I have had the awesome opportunity of meeting and being trained by some incredible skydivers and I am thrilled to be a part of this sport. I apologize for rambling. I mean no offense. This must have struck a nerve. I merely speak my convictions.

Statistics get on my tits. They can say anything you want them to say.

"x amount of jumps were made in 2006 with x fatalities."

Says nothing. Sorry for rambling, statistics annoy me, now i'l sit back and wait for the driving is more dangerous argument.

In accordance with my last post, the last thing on my mind would be to try and mislead anybody. If you would like to check out what I write, check out www.myspace.com/pablocruz2. Log in and read my blogs, I welcome your opinion.

Just to expand on what i said.

There are some things you will never know as far as the statistics go. If 1 million jumps are made how many of those 1 milion where made by a small group of people who do this for a living? Where they on the fatality list or was it someone with 100 jumps who was uncurrent and had 5 years in the sport?

I am yet to see convincing statistics that take everything into account, we all take differant levels of risk and there are differant factors all the time.

I hope you dont mislead your readers.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm sure this has been a frequent discussion on here. I just didn't have time to go through every thread in every forum looking for what I was searching for.

I know the statistics are out there

Actually, they are not out there. You may be able to find US stats, maybe Uk stats, but beyond that, it gets very difficult.

Use the search function on here, this has been asked so many times now....

My interest in statistics is merely to help educate people in my own little part of the world as to how safe skydiving actually is.

I think statistically most people won't rely on statistics to make their decision on entering this sport. And even if statistically you could prove it is "Safer" than say driving there are some people that plain shouldn't be in this sport.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that people need to know that people can and do get hurt in this sport. Hopefully they will get the information they need to make an informed decision. FWIW there really aren't any statistics and you and me and the rest of the jumpers on this forum didn't need statistics in order to make the decision to jump.
Think of how stupid the average person is and realize that statistically half of them are stupider than that.

I dont think andy was trying to attack YOU.
We see it here all the time some douche bag college professor has his student do a report to prove how safe the sport is.

Really?

Can you provide links to a few of those requests on here where a college professor has done that? Since they occur "all the time" there must be hundreds or thousands of them for you to choose from.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

YEs, I could but it would take a while.

I added a search bar in my signature line.
I think the MAIN post was title something like "probablity of death."

There are A LOT OF REQUESTS for statistics for this reason. there is ONE SPECIFICALLY that I referred to with some douche bag professor.

Do a search if you'd like.
My photos

My Videos

If you are looking for statistics to bolster a position you have already formed (such as the one you stated above) then Andy's opinion of statistics is certainly pertinent. If you really want statistical evidence of skydiving safety you need to approach the problem with an open mind; you need to be willing to accept evidence that skydiving is not as safe as you thought or hoped it was.

Well, before you get all crazy HERE IT IS.

READ THE VERY FIRST LINE.

You didn't get all offended because you teach ,did you?:S

EDIT: according to his information we'll all die on or before we make 10,000 jumps.

Search for STAT

Search for statistic
Search for Skydive statistic
Obviously NOT everyone one of these posts asks about this topic but you can rifle through them and find 100's I'd bet.

My photos

My Videos

You are correct; there is no statistical model for any problem that is absolutely robust. There is no weather forecasting model that always works. There is no set of safety rules that takes into account all situations. There is no first jump course information that will give our students flawless advice in all situations.
Does that mean we should not use any of these tools?

Does that mean we should not use any of these tools?

No, but we should use them as they make sense.
each year the USPA pirnts and article of STATISTICS.

something like:
22% from landing.
5% from double mal
4% no attempt to open

etc....

So by not doing hook turns I can "probably" avoid dying from doing a hook turn. etc etc etc etc blah blah blah.

They should be used to try to explain to a whuffo.
first they should understand the sport as a whole not only as a death pool.
My photos

My Videos

Your question as to whether I "hope" statistics exist insinuates that I might revel or glory in the death of others. If I am misreading you forgive me, but that is the way it comes across. I am mere trying to educate people in my life as to the safety of skydiving. I grow tired (as I am sure you have) of the age old question of "Why would you jump out of a perfectly good airplane?". My goal is to try and get those people to go with me and take a First Jump course and jump so they can see for themselves!!

I most certainly did not mean to imply that your interest was morbid. I meant my reply to be objective. You can't "know" that useful statistics are there and when you take the approach that you "know" that they are, it's likely that you're not being objective yourself, thats all.
Owned by Remi #?

I knew/know where some of the statistics are. They are bookmarked in my browser. I was hoping to find out if there were any different sources that I wasn't aware of. I have been informed of several which I wasn't aware of. So I feel this thread has served me well. As for your opinion that I'm likely not being objective, I don't think you have enough info about me or what I'm doing to make that judgement. Your input has been appreciated.

I most certainly did not mean to imply that your interest was morbid. I meant my reply to be objective. You can't "know" that useful statistics are there and when you take the approach that you "know" that they are, it's likely that you're not being objective yourself, thats all.