proud2be4life

What should i do

ok so i sorta have been thinking this is cool for a while and was wondering if you guys thought i should do it by myself on the jump dont really want to relly on anyone else.(one thing i think might be a problem im not really to found of hights).

Ok im kind of anxious and would like to know a more or less pricing on a first jump including everything(preferably by myself)

thanks a million

OK, I have only 80 jumps, but I think I'll try to answer this as best I can anyway.

First of all, only YOU and not anyone else can decide if you should try skydiving. Also, only YOU can decide which of the advice that will be given to you in this thread is useful to you.

If I was you:
If you are not sure whether you'd dare to exit the plane, maybe it's best to first do a tandem skydive.

Yes, that means relying on somebody else for the most part of the skydive, but that particular someone had to have 1000 regular skydives before they were even allowed to begin the tandemmaster course.
So trust me; they know what they are doing.

It may also be worth it to purchase a video of your tandem.
Then you could watch the video, again and again, and think back about how you felt during the freefall, and the canopy ride.

Maybe that will help you decide whether a full course is worth the money or not.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

You'll be relying on someone whether you like it or not for your first jump.

Either that be a Tandem Master or other instructor. Your even relying on the bloke that packed the chute or reserve.

Best bet go to a DZ and ask them what they suggest.

------
Two of the three voices in my head agree with you. It might actually be unanimous but voice three only speaks Welsh.

one thing i think might be a problem im not really to found of hights)

I'm scared of heights. It hasn't been a problem for me though. My theory being I'm scared of heights when I can see how I'm going to hurt myself, ie on a roof top or climbing a ladder. Exit altitude is so high you lose that referance. It did take me a while to get my landings tuned in though and I did notice I was anxious around flare time.

depending on where you are is really going to determine the price. Im pretty sure no matter where you go you will HAVE to do it tandem being your first jump. I havent heard of anywhere else that will let you go solo, and that makes a lot of sense. It is a very dangerous sport especially if you dont know what you are doing. That being said i have seen tandem jumps range anywhere from $150 - $300 so like I said it really all depends on where you go. I would suggest contacting the DZ you are going to be jumping at and ask them about their pricing

Maybe it's different where you are, but me and many of my mates did AFF without no stinking tandem ride :P

hmm ok I guess things might be different over there. Every DZ I have talked to or been to has said that they not only require your first jump to be tandem but require your first 2 jumps to be tandem. Im not claiming to be an expert by any means, I am very new to the sport myself but that is just what I have seen so far

Ok, please correct me if im wrong. This is the way I understand it. In the US you have a means of being able to go through aff by taking 3 tandem jumps first which will then start your aff at level 4 thru level 8. you also have tandems (singular jumps), and AFF. Not forgetting RAPS (static line) of course but for simplicity don't worry about RAPS.

Here in the UK we have 3 options.

Tandem, this does not contribute to any level of AFF or will allow you to jump solo.
AFF, Accelerated free fall levels 1 to 8.
Raps, Static line

Level 1 AFF consists of at least 6 hours ground training the once in the aircraft you will jump out (without anybody strapped to you) with 2 instructors at your side.

Me personally, I have only just done my first tandem but I'm saving for a complete AFF course.

If you have never done skydiving before I would recommened 1 tandem jump to see if you like it.... You will!

Then save save save for your AFF!
"When I left school I couldn't even spell skydiver. Now I are one!"

one thing i think might be a problem im not really to found of hights)

I'm scared of heights. It hasn't been a problem for me though. My theory being I'm scared of heights when I can see how I'm going to hurt myself, ie on a roof top or climbing a ladder. Exit altitude is so high you lose that referance.

Doing IAD that's not really the case. Everything below is pretty darn clear at 2500 ft. The guy who was to jump after me froze up on the wing and the instructor had to wrestle him back into the plane (C182):o. He got off the plane(carried) and went right into shock. He was OK after the ambulance came and checked him out.

Could you just do a ride along and watch the exits? That's what I did. I think it was $15, and I go an idea of what to expect. If anything, it got me more excited to jump.

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

one thing i think might be a problem im not really to found of hights

I am scarred as hell of heights and airplanes! I get vertigo on a park bench and will not fly commerically!

Skydiving is not about heights or airplanes, it is about peace of mind and relationships with wonderful people...
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…