leonanderson

Quick A License Strategy?

I've gotten great advice here in the past. I now need help once and for all getting my A license. I have about 30 jumps in recent years, but the DZ nearest me closed and others are 3 hours plus away. I plan to decide on a home DZ in Ohio/Indiana late next spring, but in the meantime I desperately want to complete my A license. I have my own rig (never used) and have spent a couple hours in the tunnel in Orlando. One of my biggest problems has been weather. When I can get time away from work, I travel to the DZ and watch it rain.
I have a heavy teaching load right now, but I am thinking that over the winter I could take 7-9 days of vacation and go to Eloy and get some 1-on-1 coaching to get my license in hand. I am confident I could progress fast. I feel my best chance for good weather is there and I can't handle another week at a rainy DZ.
Then I could be ready for springtime in the midwest.
I will call Skydive AZ and talk with the folks there, but I just want to get some feedback from you all too. Is this possible? Is there another DZ that would be a good idea to investigate?
Thanks much, as always!

How complete is your "A" licence progression card?

I could see, so as long as tunnel time + previous jumps have given you some skills that have stuck, even with some lapse in time - that in one or two jumps you could have your "A". Most of the stuff on the card is stuff that you can do at a rainy DZ on the ground...

If you are not ready for the "A", a bit of tunnel time and 5 or so jumps probably will get you there.

This should not be hard.

Perhaps you should look at Airspeed's coaching program at Eloy, I know I spent crap loads of time in the tunnel with them and loved their style. You will be ready for your B after they are done with ya.:$

the DZ nearest me closed and others are 3 hours plus away.

I drive a 5 hour round trip every weekend. Tent, bunk house, camper, under the stars - I sleep where ever and sometimes I even make it a one day trip!
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

There's another way if you are willing to think outside the box . . .

There are probably a few experienced jumpers in your area in the same fix so just get a few of them together and hire an AFF Instructor to come to you for a weekend. Then rent a local Cessna & pilot (like demo jumpers sometimes do) and find a willing farmer with a field (hey, free personal air show)!

As long as it's not over a congested area or in controlled airspace you can jump without a demo waiver from the FAA. Your pilot can phone in a Notam which lets other pilots know there's jumping going on where you are. And if anyone says you can't do this tell them you live in the United States, not Bosnia . . .

Eliminating the "greedy" DZO and the student assembly line (found at many DZs) can make the whole experience much more enjoyable. And who knows? You might find you have a flair for organizing things like this and become a greedy DZO yourself . . . ;)

There's a large, and very old "skydiving club" here in So Cal who when their offspring are ready to start jumping bypass the whole DZ thing. They just hire all the above and go out into the desert and do what they gotta do . . .

I think we are going to see more of this type of homegrown jumping as tandem mills replace traditional up-jumper DZs here in the States. It's already happened in New Zealand where they once had a thriving skydiving community, that anyone could assume would last forever, but it's all gone now. . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Thanks, to you and to the others who have responded to my question. What I like about running ideas by folks here is just how many different ideas I get. From info on the traditional winter destinations, etc., to suggestions to try to pull things together here in Ohio or even getting some friends together and avoiding the DZ route entirely.
At this point I'm thinking I'll go to Eloy. I checked the history of weather there in March and it seems to be a low rain month (which is saying something for AZ) and pleasant temps.
Thanks for your suggestions.
Blue Skies (I'm counting on that!)

I would suggest calling Eloy (or whatever DZ you want to finish up at) and see what they will require you to do if you show up without a license. Don't get me wrong, I love Eloy and will be going back next month, but a friend went there without a license last year and ended up having to do a lot more (expensive) coach jumps than she anticipated. She learned a lot and didn't regret going, but wished she'd called ahead to see just how much would be required.