GLIDEANGLE

In Praise of the Hop & Pop!

I have noticed that it it VERY easy for me to turn the sport of skydiving into something that pretty much resembles work. [:/] It is very easy to get sucked into a busy and potentially stressful flow at the dropzone. Unfortunately, that insanity does not give me the rest and recreation that I desire on my weekends.

Yesterday I had a busy morning of 6 & 7 way belly RW jumps. (The first jump was described by the organizer as “a simple little three way” which grew to a seven way by the time we boarded the aircraft.)

Being a new guy, these jumps feel complex and there are many opportunities for me to screw up other people’s jump. Everyone I jumped with was very nice and very tolerant… but I still was feeling pressure to perform.

After a two-way to help me work on some freefall skills (Thank you Anton!), I was looking for a FUN jump.

I decided to do a simple Hop & Pop.

What a delightful jump! :)
I didn’t have to find someone to jump with.
I didn’t have to dirt dive.
I didn’t have to rehearse at the door mock-up.
I got to ride by the door… best view!
I got to watch our spot develop as we approached the DZ (no “stick-my-head-out-the-door…surprise”)
I didn’t have to worry about exit separation (I was the only H&P jumper).
I didn’t have to worry about a possibly hard terminal speed opening.
I had the skies to myself!
I got to have fun flying my canopy for a long time! I had enough altitude to do safely those fun canopy maneuvers that are unsafe for me down low.
I had the landing pattern all to myself.
I HAD FUN.:D:D:D

After landing I chatted with a few experienced skydivers who echoed my sentiment that simple H&Ps can be a whole lot of fun with little hassle.

Side note: As I re-read the above, I wonder if there is a hint of why some folks don’t keep skydiving buried in this. Is skydiving too much stress and too little fun for some folks? What can we do to build a skydiving environment that is less stressful and more fun for each other?

Blue Skies!
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I don't think that skydiving should be stressful at all, but sometimes it happens. I'm still a new guy but have participated in group skydives before and they were fun if not the most fun I've had. Seeing all those people flying next to you in the air is amazing and actually relaxes me. After all, the point is to have fun right? Blues.;)

ONE of the many great things about this sport is the wide variety of disciplines or directions you can go. I enjoy doing hop n pops. (Actually, they are more like short delays. At 4,000', I get about 10-12 seconds of free fall before I deploy.) It is my niche. Over half my jumps have been from less than 5,000'. Sure there are times when I wish my RW skills were better, but those times are few compared with the many times I'm just hanging out under canopy without worrying about anything. THAT is the type of jumping I love. I enjoy the skydive more than I enjoy doing something on a skydive.

Peace,
-Jeff.
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

That's the best definition of a B.A.S.E. jump I ever heard . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Do you have a pilot turning on a green light and other jumpers yelling "go, go, go" on your BASE exit points - because you need this to keep it realistic to a hopnpop.

If you invite me on a BASE jump with ya, I will bring my maglight flash light with a green color filter to turn on before your exit, and I will bring an Ipod with the aircraft noise and recordings of people yelling "go" so you can play it while exiting the second I turn on the light.:$

To the original poster... I really enjoy high pulls much more than hopnpops... Plenty of time to let go of the toggles, sit back, relax, enjoy the view... Perhaps a two way (or seven way) with friends with absolutely no plans other than, "lets touch our canopies and fly together"!

OMG! I worried about this very thing this weekend. I actually asked the people that I jumped with, that I had never jumped with, if they minded that I had only had 30 jumps. They said no and actually toned things down a little just to suit me. I thought it was great to be up there with some of the freefliers when the jump did not go as planned. But everyone I jumped with was understanding and after we landed I never felt like I "wasted" their jump! It was a great feeling. I have actually thought about doing a 5000' H&P soon also. Thanks for this post. You have put into words alot of what I was feeling.

yeah, I just re-discovered the hop & pop late in my first full season.

When I was on IAD, I could not wait to get up to full altitude... So for 80 or so jumps afterwards i almost exclusively jumped from our DZ's turbine, even when it meant going solo.

The last few weeks, however, I bought a new main and stated making hop & pops from 5500 or so. I have fun both playing around on the strut & step of our 182, as well as making crazy exits, doing 5-10 second delays, and still having a longer canopy ride than if I had opened at 3500 from terminal. Oh yeah, I'm saving money too. Hop & pops are awesome!
Good judgement comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement.

I too am a fan of the oft disrespected H&P.

Most of my time is spent hauling tandems. During slack times I go up to 5k (our standard alti for HP) and simply get head into the hill for a while.

Sometimes I take a camera and geek my own lens :S as shown Here.

BUT

There is more to this sport than hop and pops. Spread your wings. :)

Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

Another good thing to do at your stage of the game? Make a tracking dive all by yourself. Spend an entire freefall just tracking off the jumprun line and then back to the DZ. You can plan a safe flight plan with the help of an instructor. As you track, try different body positions and really work at getting to the "max" track, pushing hard on the air and really covering ground. A little bit of practice goes a long way to being a good tracker, a very important survival skill.

I'm a pretty good tracker, 'cause I practice everytime I do it. :)
Anyway, that's my favorite goof off jump.:):D

You know if your stressing over a jump I say Funel it on Exit.... Then if they ask ya back you only have up to go from there lol

I love H&P's from 13500... Some really memorable views on sunset loads down at Zhills or even in Nc at the SkyDive Place thats now gone. H&P's are a great thing when working with a new Canopy or just working on your Skills under Canopy which I think More people should work on.

B.S's.

I didn’t have to find someone to jump with.
I didn’t have to dirt dive.
I didn’t have to rehearse at the door mock-up.
I got to ride by the door… best view!
I got to watch our spot develop as we approached the DZ (no “stick-my-head-out-the-door…surprise”)
I didn’t have to worry about exit separation (I was the only H&P jumper).
I didn’t have to worry about a possibly hard terminal speed opening.
I had the skies to myself!
I got to have fun flying my canopy for a long time! I had enough altitude to do safely those fun canopy maneuvers that are unsafe for me down low.
I had the landing pattern all to myself.
I HAD FUN.:D:D:D

You may be leaving out the most important one...
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

I love H&P's from 13500... Some really memorable views on sunset loads down at Zhills or even in Nc at the SkyDive Place thats now gone. H&P's are a great thing when working with a new Canopy or just working on your Skills under Canopy which I think More people should work on.

B.S's.[/reply Plus, it really freaks out the spectators. It's funny, coming in 20 minutes or so after everyone else and people are looking up for a plane and asking "Where the hell'd you come from?!" B|

Used to jump with some guys. They'd do a sunset h&p from 7500 with a beer in their jumpsuit. Open up, crack a brew, enjoy the sun going down. Ahhhh.B|

I remember those "Chug and Hit" dives! When the drinks were done, it was time to do CRW. It was best to turn backwards in the harness or risk wearing your drink ... not that I know from personal experience or anything ... :S

Bob