Danny23

First S/L Tomorrow

Hi all. Although I have been reading a lot here at dropzone, this is my first post. It is obvious that there is a wealth of knowledge and experience here.

I have done two tandems in the last month. I have decided to start my s/l progression, and my first jump is tomorrow. I had a blast on my tandems, and didn't really get nervous. However, I think my lack of fear had to do with the fact that the control was in the hands of an experience skydiver, and not myself. I am a little nervous about landing on my own. I am sure with a little more exerience this will go away, right? Any other students out there have a fear of having the control in their hands?

Deep breath and smile. You've been through the first jump course (or will go through it tomorrow) and you've been on two tandems. You already have a pretty good idea on how to fly a pattern and flare. Beyond that you'll have some sort of communication from the instructor to you. Even if the radio fails, you've seen it in person twice and went through the course to learn it. Take a deep breath and do what you were shown and told. You'll do great and before you know it you'll have your license. Then before you can believe it you'll have pie hanging on your face after your 100th and then your 1000th!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

If others jump before you, look at how they approach the landing area... This is especially helpful if the radio malfunctions.

Otherwise: Trust your teachers and follow their advice, but remember to plan ahead even though your teachers give you step-by-step instructions.

I still was an AFF student a few weeks ago and pulling the chute was always a very pleasant moment after the free fall - it seemed to me back then the worst part was over.

Today I enjoy the free fall itself intensely and consider flying the chute down necessary to get back to the plane that takes me up again ;-)

After my first jump I was pleasantly surprised how well you could control the chute!

There is absolutely nothing to worry about!

Thanks for all of the tips and advice here and in PM's. The classroom stuff went great. I asked a ton of questions. I didn't go up until I had no unanswered questions in the classroom. This REALLY helped with the nerves.

I jumped out of a C-182, so sliding out and hanging from the strut was a little freaky, but it was cool. I ended up with some line twist, but I kicked out just fine (probably a result of a not-so-perfect-arch). The landing pattern went well, and all of you were right. I just listened to the radio and followed instructions. I flaired just a little too late, and slid the landing pretty hard, but it was all good. I can't wait until next weekend!

After landing I found a slash in my neck. Nothing really bad or anything, but it looks like I got whipped from something hard enough to draw some blood. I don't reacall getting hit by anything. Could this have been the static line? Possibly something to do with the twist (I can't see this from a twist, but I'm inexperienced). Has anyone else experienced this from S/L?

Thanks again for the support.

I don't reacall getting hit by anything. Could this have been the static line? Possibly something to do with the twist (I can't see this from a twist, but I'm inexperienced). Has anyone else experienced this from S/L?

I can relate - I hit the step on one of our C-182s with my left forearm on my second SL jump. The jumpmaster, another student, and the pilot all saw (and heard) it happen.

I have absolutely no memory of it at all, but I did have an impressive bruise afterward.;)

[billvon] It was likely a riser. Can happen with unstable exits.

So that's why they make us wear those damn Protecs. :)
T.I.N.S.

In Static Line jump especially for beginners it could happen due to your body is not stable that in opening sequence something like riser or the static line passing close to your neck.
When I started with military round canopies and static line it was common.
In military slang in Hungary they call it: Line-kiss :)
So no worries, after some more jumps you'll get more stable and it won't happen.
There is movie on skydivingmovies.com where some static line jump filmed at the end in slomo there you can see that instable opening could cause that.

www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=6193

That less likely happens with the modern student gear but it could. No worries :)

Welcome,

Anything you read here, don't assume to be true. Always ask your instructor first.

You're gonna have a blast. Just remember to take a look around every now and then and realize just how damn beautiful it is up there.

Viel Glück,

Ken