illusioneer

rw with a camera suit?

The problem with RW with a large-wing camera suit is the sudden lift you’ll get when reaching for grips. Even with a tight and close grip, your wings provide excessive lift unless you keep your elbows against your ribs. With some practice, you can compensate with your legs and arch, but other jumpers might have a hard time moving with you. A small wing suit might help but it might place you in a somewhat vertical position, kind of like a mantis, but with some force pushing you backward when you want to be driving toward the center of the formation. You might want to try a good old balloon suit with ample cloth between the waist and underarms, which may be better to give your entire body more lift.

In an effort to slow my free fall speed, I am thinking about getting a camera suit with wings. My range now is 135mph to 155 mph... to fast for rw. Do you think a camera suit is a good option? Does anyone have any ideas for me?

Jesus man, what do you weigh?

Brandon, if you click on his screen name, you will find his canopy size and wing loading. With some easy math, it isn't that hard to figure you, you lazy f#ck.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

The best advice is to call up a suit manufacturer, and talk to them.

I don't recomend camera wings. They seriously impede tracking, which can make break-off tricky.

I also don't recomend swoop-cords - these are designed for "swooping", or more accurately - late divers who need dive at a high fall-rate and then slow down quickly. This isn't what you're looking for.

You're looking for a suit that just plain helps you fall slowly.

A while ago I ordered a "big boy suit" from Tony Suits, and was very happy with what they came up with.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

rehmwa has posted a couple of times about jump suits for big guys. Do a search.

Bill's wife, Kim is Skimmer Suits. She makes a suit called "The Big John" designed from making a suit for a guy at their home dz with a "very healthy fall rate". I almost had a Big John on order but we figured that it would be too much suit for me. Kim did an awesome job on my suit and I now have range. If I went low on something before, it was over for me, and now I can get up. If nothing else, visit her website (www.skimmersuits.com) and take a look at it. If you have someone local, print out pictures, show them, and ask if they can do something like that.

Swoop cords will also help slow you down.

I almost had a Big John on order but we figured that it would be too much suit for me. Kim did an awesome job on my suit and I now have range.

Credit where credit is due, wildfan - Let's not forget your huge improvement in using the proper mantis body position to add range to your fall rate. Especially on the slow end. Your skill and technique is another big reason you're flying so well lately - making us locals very proud, BTW. So I'd like to credit Skimmer's design (it's good in the areas I think are important), but you've personally had a great year and are flying better all the time.

These threads, I normally talk about body position and suit features (but no particular brand, I really hate the blatant advertising some do on here), but the OP can search on those. Good luck to him.

Illusioneer - here's one post on the topic. In the end, you have to find out what works for you.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2945121#2945121

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

A guy that I used to jump with was over 300 and around 6'5".

He had a big cotton suit. A panel sewn in between the thighs that covered half of the area towards the knees. Lots of wing under the arms and swoop cords to bring out the extra fabric.

He didn't have a lot of lateral movement, but he could do in-place turns and had a 120 fall rate.

Our last jump was a rotating spider with him in the middle doing 90 degree turns.

Find a good suit maker and mention the crotch panel.