ntrprnr

Hey Army Jumpers... What does Master Parachutist entail?

Was reading a bio of General Petraeus this morning, and noticed that he has a pin for "Master Parachutist."

Can anyone tell me what that means, and what he did to qualify? Seems really cool.

-Peter

Photo of him wearing it is here:

http://www.nydailynews.com/util/fitme.html?/img/2007/09/12/graf_mapofpetraeus.gif

Master Parachutist Badge

To be eligible for the Master Parachutist Badge, an individual must have been rated excellent in character and efficiency and have met the following requirements:

Participated in a minimum of 65 jumps including twenty-five jumps with combat equipment to consist of normal TOE equipment, including individual weapon carried by the individual in combat whether the jump was in actual or simulated combat.

In cases of simulated combat the equipment will include water rations (actual or dummy), ammunition (actual or dummy), and other essential items necessary to sustain an individual in combat.

Four night jumps must also be made during the hours of darkness(regardless of the time of day with respect to sunset) one of which will be as jumpmaster of a stick.

Five mass tactical jumps must be made which culminate in an airborne assault problem with a unit equivalent to a battalion or larger; a separate company/battery; or an organic staff of regimental size or larger.

The individual must fill a position commensurate with their rank or grade during the problem.

Either graduated from the Jumpmaster Course of the Airborne Department of the Infantry School or the Jumpmaster School of a separate airborne battalion or larger airborne unit, or infantry divisions and separate infantry brigades containing organic airborne elements, including the U.S. Army Alaska Jumpmaster Course, or served as jumpmaster on one or more combat jumps or as jumpmaster on 33 noncombat jumps.

Have served on jump status with an airborne unit or other organization authorized parachutists for a total of 36 months (may be non-consecutive).

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

65 jumps, jumpmaster graduate, day and night primary jumpmaster duties, and, if I remember correctly, at least 13 "mass tactical" jumps. That last number might be wrong; it's been a very, very long time since I earned my master wings. Guys who have spent all their time in airborne units normally have master wings by the time they make E6.

Also, since you mentinoned General Patreus, I would just like to point out that he learned to skydive at Raeford (with the 82nd club/team and the golden knights). Paul Rafferty (rest in peace) was his primary instructor. He used to jump his ass off, then he landed very hard one time and broke his back. He's a really nice guy.

Chuck

No disrespect intended to the military, but I think it's funny they get a Master Parachutist pin after 65 jumps, but in the sport parachuting world, we're still newbies at that point. :D

There's really no comparison though. I wouldn't want to jump fully loaded down with all that combat gear on a round. Kudos to those that do it.

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

As a former Marine it's always seemed to me in the Army if you take a crap in the woods they have a patch or device for it . . . :S

NickD :)BASE 194

Oh no, that's totally untrue. When I was in the army I took a crap many times in the woods and never even got a merit badge for it.

One time I took a poo poo next to a sleeping E-8's head in the woods. It took a lot of stealth and guts to pull that off, and this guy deserved it. I never even got a letter of commendation for it. It did earn me a lot of respect from the other members of my team though.:S

I had senior wings back then. Didn't quite have enough jumps for master jump wings....Steve1

As a former Marine it's always seemed to me in the Army if you take a crap in the woods they have a patch or device for it . . .

The above quote seems to have very little to do with the question unless you are implying that this badge is easy to earn. If that is the case I guess we will need to disagree and I would ask if you have ever been in an airborne unit. Military jumping is not sport jumping. I would also ask if you are trying to stir the pot here Nick.

It is always so easy to poke fun at the other services but since you opened up the door I guess I'll play.

I'm sure if Marines were smart enough to read a map and find a set of woods that the Marine Corp might also offer an award for taking a crap there. There is a reason that Marines are affectionately called jarheads but I think an example would be in order. Two Marines were arguing one day about what the "N" in Marine stood for. One Marine said it stood for intelligence and the other Marine said it stood for knowledge. Since you already informed us that you are a former Marine Nick you might not get this joke but if you know of any servicemen who aren't Marines I'm sure they can explain it to you.

FWIW I have nothing but high praise for the Marine Corp but every service has the occassional person who can't feel secure unless they tear down the other service. It is fun for me to interact with those types of people.:D:D:D:D:D
Think of how stupid the average person is and realize that statistically half of them are stupider than that.

As a former Marine it's always seemed to me in the Army if you take a crap in the woods they have a patch or device for it

The Master Parachutist Badge is a venerable award that dates back to the 1940's. Former Marines date back that far as well . . . we all fight for the same flag, partner.
Arrive Safely

John

65 military static line jumps with everything that goes along with them are far different than 65 skydives. As many military people as you are around all the time you ought to know that.

My best friend from my school days was a paratrooper in the US Army. I've seen his gear, and it was about as foreign as it could be. Most of his training jumps however, were from Chinooks at 800 feet. He once got blown off the field over a large patch of trees and got quite a beating going down through one. Another time two paratroopers exiting the side doors at the same time got entangled with each other, separating just 50 or 100 feet above the ground, and the pendulum effect swung one of them face to earth right at impact, and the belly reserve broke his back, right in front of my friend. Later on his last jump, he had a hard landing that compressed one of his vertebrae. He was due to deploy with his unit to Afghanistan, but the injury set him back 3 months, and then the Army sent him out anyway. :S

I have utmost respect for military jumpers. It's just the numbers that sounded funny. ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I have utmost respect for military jumpers. It's just the numbers that sounded funny.

To sport jumpers 65 jumps does seem low but most military jumpers don't even get one jump a month on the average due to training dollars, deployments, and other issues. My point is that it takes a long time to get to 65 jumps in the military.

Also jumpmasters need to go to jumpmaster school and the wash out rate is extremely high.

Add in the fact that the normal military jump is often a night combat equipment jump (rifle, rucksack, a big ass radio for the como man or a mortar for the weapons guy) where there are no helpful lights on the DZ and 65 jumps might seem more special. It is f#@#ing dark especially if there is no moon. :)
Think of how stupid the average person is and realize that statistically half of them are stupider than that.

Add in the fact that the normal military jump is often a night combat equipment jump (rifle, rucksack, a big ass radio for the como man or a mortar for the weapons guy) where there are no helpful lights on the DZ and 65 jumps might seem more special. It is f#@#ing dark especially if there is no moon. :)

Your right, it does take a long time, and is wayy tougher gathering up 65 sport jumps.

I watched from the tailgate (Phyz tech) of an MC-130 while a few Army guys and some "others" got outta the back of a MC-130E at night, high winds, with full ruck from 25,000 feet.. So ah yep, they deserve the respect.....

As a former Marine it's always seemed to me in the Army if you take a crap in the woods they have a patch or device for it

The Force Recon guys all had enough pride in their Army "patches or devices" to sew them under their pocket flaps so they could show them on a "need to know" basis. ;)
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I've done a lot of things over the years, but one of my proudest moments was when I left Benning with Jump Wings on my chest. I always dreamed of jumping from an airplane and eventually becoming a paratrooper.

I jumped out of the 34 foot tower so many times that I had blood behind both ears from riser slap. The steel pots we wore didn't offer much protection. My very first jump, out of a C-141 jet I sprained my ankle bad, and could barely walk on it. On the runs that week I got in the middle of the formation so the black hats couldn't see me limp. I didn't want to be recycled. I was scared shitless every jump, but I still jumped. I didn't want anyone to know I was a wimp. I made four more jumps on that ankle, that week, to earn my jump wings.

Later we started making night jumps with heavy ruck sacks and weapons. I recall two night jumps when I never did see the ground, and wasn't able to drop my ruck. Just crashed and burned into the ground.

One night an entire stick went into the trees on Clyde D.Z. at Bragg. A good friend broke his leg bad on that jump. It was blacker than black that night. I'll bet they never did see the trees, until they went through them.

Then their was Special Forces Jump school. Man, I thought I'd never get through that. My jump pardner was a smoke jumper (squad leader) and he washed out. I remember jumping a PAE bag that I could barely stand up with, and waddle to the door. It was filled with over a 100 lbs. of gravel inside a wooden ammo box.

Then there were lot's of other jumps from all kinds of aircraft usually with a pile of gear and weapons tied on, in all kinds of weather. Several friends were medivacked off some of those drop zones.

I have a ton of respect for anyone with Master Jump Wings. 65 static line jumps may not seem like a lot, but this is a different ball game than sport jumping.

But you know, I'm still not going to sling mud at any Marine. I almost signed up for that branch myself....Steve1

I remember when I got stationed in Alaska my new 1SG telling me over and over how I had on an unauthorized ABN Badge, that the "Mustard Stain" was not authorized. Myself and Another SGT/E-5 carried our orders in our wallets (As well as our 504th PIR Coin!) and the page from the "All ranks" update that had the '83 authorization in it. After all it was 1992 and the leg 1SG was just jealous!

I went back and looked at my 1306's and 1307's (Manifests and log) of my 200+ army static line jumps over 80 are Combat equipment at night. Only later in my career when I got to be "in Charge" did I get a lot of "Day Hollywoods".

To the question "How did you simulate water?" Gin.:P

An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

I meant to say Special Forces Jump Master school in my last post. There was no such thing as Special Forces Jump school.

I know of an old guy who lives as a hermit in the mountains of Montana. He's over 80 years old and he still is more than a little bit shell shock. Every morning he pins on his jump wings. He was a para-trooper in WWII. He jumped on Normandy, and he may have made other combat jumps. I'd be willing to bet he had less than ten jumps in his jump career.

Ten jumps doesn't sound like much, but think of those ten jumps he made. In those days you jumped a static line chute that just about broke you in half every jump. Think of the guts it must have taken to make a combat jump knowing that very likely you would die. Think of the fellow paratroopers he lost in that war. I'm sure he thinks of that every morning he pins on his wings. A lot of people may not have much respect for an airborne patch or set of jump wings. But I know this guy does....Steve1

I meant to say Special Forces Jump Master school in my last post. There was no such thing as Special Forces Jump school.

Actually there was a Special Forces Jump School. Back in the early 80s a new airborne unit was formed in the Republic of Panama and it was assigned to the 193d Inf Brigade. The Army found it more cost effective to run two jump schools in Panama conducted by 3d Bn 7th SFG(A) then to send the people back to Ft Benning.

In Panama they had the 30 foot towers and the swing landing trainers but we didn't have a 250 foot tower. As I recall the course took two weeks.

The towers were at Ft Sherman because SF used to teach jump schools there for Latin American countries when they wanted airborne training.

You guys are so full of yourselves I want to puke up the Constitution. You're all such a bunch of fucking heroes!

I joined the Marine Corps because I was drafted into the Army at 18 in 1971 . . .

And I didn’t want to be a dogface.

My generation carried the water when Soldiers, Sailors, Airman, and Marines were shit on by everybody.

So PA removed by slotperfect

NickD >:(
BASE 194