Norman Kent to Receive USPA Gold Medal

Skydive DeLand, Florida, will host a party October 27 for renown freefall photographer/movie-maker Norman Kent, where he will be presented USPA's 2006 Gold Medal for Meritorious Service. Kent’s credits include movies such as "Drop Zone” and “Terminal Velocity,” award winning commercials for Coca-Cola and Visa, and TV credits that include two Olympic opening ceremonies. His work within the sport has been featured in Parachutist magazine countless times, as well as every significant skydiving publication in the world creating some of the sport’s most iconic images. Kent's Gold Medal reads, "For nearly 30 years of contributions to skydiving and the USPA. Norman’s work has put the highest artistic touch on images of our sport that have been seen by millions."
I Jumped with the guys who invented Skydiving.

Will be a good party..Only thing is. He never had anything to do with terminal velocity:D
Anyone want to get there early friday and hit the sushi

http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

He, like Jim Wallace whose also getting the gold medal, deserves it. The stuff Norm shot of his late wife Diana is just too good for words.

Although lately I see him in the picture too much. I mean what's he doing? Hiring another guy to shoot him while he's shooting someone else who hired him?

There's another famous "Norman" who painted a picture like that once, but he used a mirror . . .

There's a great photo of Norman Kent (maybe someone has it and can post) when he was on his 12th jump or so down in Mexico. He's already got a Kodak Instamatic camera duct taped to his Protect helmet!

NickD :)BASE 194

And the best part is that it has not gone to his head. :)
You can still see Norman every once and a while jumping (with or without video) with new skydivers just for the fun of it. Most of the time, they don't even know that they are jumping with Norman Kent. They think that they are just jumping with someone at that DZ. It is funny to see their reaction when you ask them if they know who they are jumping with. :D

And the best part is that it has not gone to his head. :)
You can still see Norman every once and a while jumping (with or without video) with new skydivers just for the fun of it. Most of the time, they don't even know that they are jumping with Norman Kent. They think that they are just jumping with someone at that DZ. It is funny to see their reaction when you ask them if they know who they are jumping with. :D

I'm an example of that....I met Norman, and had jumped twice with him, before I knew his last name. He jumped with my daughter for her 25th jump, sans camera.
Norman is also a terrific instructor. I just spent several days training with Norman, and his method of teaching is inspiring and efficient. It's obvious he's done a lot of it.

"Drop Zone” and “Terminal Velocity”

Who cares. He's great because of masterpieces like "From Wings Came Flight" and "Willing To Fly" and even his early productions of "Ride A Cloud" and "Freakbrothers Convention".

You rock Norman! Well deserved award!

Doc
http://www.manifestmaster.com/video

Congratulations. I also want to point out what a good guy NK is. I've met him and a few other "famous" camera guys, and he was super cool to me (when others were not). Patiently answered my questions - let me check out his camera helmet. I'm glad to see good guys get the recognition they deserve.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Congrats. NORM! Well deserved.

Found this, thoght it was interesting.
http://bpa.org.uk/skydive/pages/articles/jun01/reflecting.htm

He told me the story of how he got his start in Muskogee....funny stuff, he umm well told ABC he knew the camera they gave hem to use "quite well" to get the job. He then snuck away to his van and learned it. Itss funny when he tells it.

J