bbarnhouse

Cypress Fires New Rule- Perris

>Do you have any wide based study to back up this statement or are
> you going by just the ones you have seen. 5-10% sounds like a
> guess on your part.

Well, per a discussion a while back, I seem to recall that SSK sells about 100-150 cutters a year. Per SSK's website, there have been 293 saves through Aug 03. Of those, about half were students, and about 1 in 10 were 'jumper pulled just as cypres fired.' So per the numbers about 20 per year, 10 of which are students. That gives you 13% for everyone, 7% for experienced jumpers.

My experience is lower than that. I've seen (or talked to people about) 12 cypres fires this year, and none were due to no-pulls.

> guess on your part.

Well, per a discussion a while back, I seem to recall that SSK sells about 100-150 cutters a year. Per SSK's website, there have been 293 saves through Aug 03. Of those, about half were students, and about 1 in 10 were 'jumper pulled just as cypres fired.' So per the numbers about 20 per year, 10 of which are students. That gives you 13% for everyone, 7% for experienced jumpers.

My experience is lower than that. I've seen (or talked to people about) 12 cypres fires this year, and none were due to no-pulls.

From 1991 to 2003 Cypres claims 293 saves. If "1 in ten" were "jumper pulled just as cypres fired", that leaves 260+ or 18% using 125 for cutters sold each year. I don't see a difference between students and experienced on this, the ground doesn't care.

In any case, it is 260 or so more people who would have quit jumping on that day without a cypres.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

> guess on your part.

From 1991 to 2003 Cypres claims 293 saves. If "1 in ten" were "jumper pulled just as cypres fired", that leaves 260+ or 18% using 125 for cutters sold each year. I don't see a difference between students and experienced on this, the ground doesn't care.

In any case, it is 260 or so more people who would have quit jumping on that day without a cypres.

I'm a tad confused if there has been 293 save all up, why are they selling 100-150 cutters per year over 12 years that's a shit load more cutters than saves?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

>

Kallend,

Have you ever had to remove someone from one of your classes for disruptive behavior? Or maybe I should put it this way. Has there ever been a student in one of your classes who's behavior affected the other students in a negative way and should have been removed?

Agreed is spelled with an "r".

Sparky

No. And I've been teaching since 1968.

There's always an opportunity for a learning experience.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>I'm a tad confused if there has been 293 save all up, why are they
>selling 100-150 cutters per year over 12 years that's a shit load more
>cutters than saves?

Because most cypres fires happen when a jumper deploys too low and the cypres fires. That's not considered a save.

>I'm quitting skydiving.

I know a great many people who have said that; only two have actually quit. I've had it (almost) happen to me 2-3 times, and I wouldn't have quit skydiving any of those times.

Here's a thought experiment - would you quit skydiving if your cypres fired because someone was holding on to your right hand as you passed 1500 feet?

would you quit skydiving if your cypres fired because someone was holding on to your right hand as you passed 1500 feet?

I would have to if it was a malevolent hold. They don't let you skydive in jail, and that's where I'd be once we landed. I don't think that sort of thing is funny.

If I had exposed my hands to a tandem student and they grabbed them and I wasn't able to get (either) hand back by the hard deck, after biting the crap out of their neck, I would probably quit tandem skydiving. I do get the willies about folks who think a tandem skydive is just an expensive roller coaster ride.

Skydiving is dangerous. It tends to kill the easily distracted and careless.

>I'm quitting skydiving.

I know a great many people who have said that; only two have actually quit. I've had it (almost) happen to me 2-3 times, and I wouldn't have quit skydiving any of those times.

Here's a thought experiment - would you quit skydiving if your cypres fired because someone was holding on to your right hand as you passed 1500 feet?

Why would you not have deployed earlier than 1500 anyways, I'm reasonably sure that their grip would not hold after deployment.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

>Why would you not have deployed earlier than 1500 anyways, I'm
>reasonably sure that their grip would not hold after deployment.

Cause when someone is holding onto your right hand and trying to force it on to the dummy ripcord, you can't deploy your main. I was reaching for my reserve when he realized what I was doing and let go of my right hand. Even though I had my hand on my reserve, and even though I knew my cypres (which I had gotten a few days previous) would probably fire, I opened my main anyway; I couldn't stop myself.

I was open by about 1100 feet, and fortunately my cypres didn't fire.

Skydiving is dangerous. It tends to kill the easily distracted and careless.

Not to get picky....But I have seen it kill normally heads up folks that just got distracted or careless once....It only takes once.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334