cmnt

How many jumps in 1 day optimum for a student?

Will start AFF next week, say I don't have to repeat any levels and learn pretty quick, how many maximum jumps will I be able to do in 1 day (9:00 to 19:00)? taking into account all the packing time, waiting between loads, sensory overload, soreness from the openings the first few jumps maybe?, etc...:S

It depends on the student and where they're up to in their progression I'd say.

It can get pretty tiring - you'll be using muscle groups that you wouldn't usually use and there's a lot to take in...

You're far better doing 2 or 3 really good jumps than 4 or 5 not-so good ones.

Don't try and rush it - forget about numbers, just have fun and relax. :)

Depends on the student, but I won't let an AFF student of mine do more than three in a day. There is too much mental fatigue that occurs and jumps after the third are rarely productive.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Depends on the student, but I won't let an AFF student of mine do more than three in a day. There is too much mental fatigue that occurs and jumps after the third are rarely productive.

I'm not an instructor or jumpmaster, but I echo this opinion. Two, or three max is enough.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Our policy here in Marshall, Michign is two with no more then three in one day. The student already has enough stress and just making them tired more is no cause for learning/ completing task, etc.....
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith

Hey, cmnt -

First off, keep in mind that I'm in no way an instructor (as evidenced by my jump #'s), so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

From experience, however, I would agree with what JP said above. I'd do no more than 3 in a day. If that.

As an AFF student, I found that most of the times I did more than 1 jump in a day, my performance would decline increasingly in the jumps after the first jump. There are some exceptions, naturally - sometimes when you don't pass a level, it's good to 'get back on the horse' and knock it out, as long as you feel like you know the reason for the problem and are confident you can address it. "The only cure for a bad skydive is a good skydive." But ultimately I did better when I was only making 1-2 jumps a day.

There's a great deal of stress that comes with being a student and having objectives to meet on each jump. You'll be surprised. Fatigue is a very real thing - you're doing something that's not exactly natural, and the fight-or-flight response is very demanding of your body. You'll start to see how much it wears on you as the day goes on.

Ultimately, only you and your instructors can tell what will be best for you. But like most (more-qualified-to-give-advice) people, I'd say be planning on doing 3, max, each day you're out there.
Signatures are the new black.

I'm just a lowly little novice so don't take this as advice. Last weekend I did 5 jumps - they were all just practice jumps for my "A" style set. Not a lot of stress and I was exhausted at the end of the day. The most my instructor ever let me do before I was self-supervised was 3 in a day and that was exhausting.

-Michael

The optimum amount of student jumps in one day is exactly three.

This has been scientifically tested by an independent research body and is irrefutable. Doing anymore or less in a given 24 hour period will have negative effects on one's progress.
- - -
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.